If she has more cash than me is it an issue.

This is to ask for suggestions on my next step. I have received my NOA-1 (I think) the I-797C. I front loaded the crap out of the package, but some things I forgot and I have already gathered to send to them to add to the package.

As to my question, should I send a whole bunch of information concerning her financial status as and addition to my package? I make a decent living but I am a typical American middle class guy. I watch what I spend money on and large dollar purchases are made once every couple of years. She does not have to worry about what she spends. She is not flashy with big cars, large home, etc. But she could if she wished too.

So should I get a package of white books together showing the homes she owns (investments), how much her company is worth and other things like that?

I am going back and forth on this. Has anyone else had this issue? I have not found anything concerning this yet.

Consulate does not ask about beneficiary's financial status, they are concerned with petitioner's financial status, and the petitioner's ability to support prospective immigrant.

However, if beneficiary's assets are large they can be used to self sponsor or later can be added to petitioner when adjusting status bu using form I-864A when adjusting status.

For example US Embassy London's instructions indicate that beneficiary can use their own assets for the visa IF they can show how the assets will be transferred to the USA.

Applicants Own Funds

An applicant who expects to be able to meet the public charge provisions of the law through personal financial resources may submit to the consular officer evidence of funds or income from one or more of the following sources:

• bank statement showing present balance of applicant's account, date account was opened, the number and amount of deposits and withdrawals during the past 12 months, and the average balance during the year. If there have been recent unusually large deposits, an explanation thereof should be given;

• proof of ownership of property or real estate, in the form of a title deed or the equivalent and a letter from a lawyer, or real estate agent showing its present valuation (any mortgages or loans against the property must be stated);

• letter or letters verifying ownership of stocks and bonds, with present market value or expected earnings indicated;

• statement from insurance company showing policies held and present case surrender value;

• proof of income from business investments or other sources.

If the financial resources are derived from a source outside the United States, a statement as to how the funds or income are to be transferred to the U.S. must be provided.

http://www.usembassy.org.uk/cons_new/visa/iv/faffidavit.html

This is NOT a red flag.

Not prudent to say this is NOT a red flag. I never said this WAS a red flag. I said it COULD possibly be considered a red flag by a VO so avoid doing so.

Of course, as the Automotive News article points out, most of the investors were Chinese nationals who were investing with the promise of obtaining U.S. residency.

A commercial investment of $1 million, or $500,000 if made in an economically distressed area such as northern Mississippi, qualifies a foreign family for a permanent-resident green card. "A lot of people in China want to move some of their money out of China," [Yang's spokesman Vincent] Wang said.

Immigration fraud is not just for the poor, destitute souls looking for opportunity. Lots of wealthy Chinese want to immigrate to USA. I know of 2 wealthy Chinese that are looking for a way to immigrate here at this moment.

Max, I am not suggesting in any way that this is the situation in your case. But I am confident that this is a type of situation that they might think twice about if they happen to notice it, especially if the petitioner is not well off financially.

Thanks for the information all. I am not poor, but I am a working stiff as they say. Tried the "C" level jobs and hated it. That seems to be about politics and not doing what is right for the company and employees.

Actually the reason she started looking for a western man was because all the Chinese men she meet or was introduced to just wanted to get married and then sit in the tea houses and play Mah Jong all day. (Which seems to be a very common practic for a lot of men in Chengdu anyways!)

Of course since she was divorced, late 30's and had a daughter already, so she was almost untouchable by Chinese standards. No matter how good she looked, how succesful she was or any thing else. I think us American men are getting the best of the Chinese woman to move here. At least I found one of them! :P :lol:

Thanks for the information. I will talk to her about the form just in case. Her first goal is to buy a home with in the first week of arriving in America. Trying to get her to wait a few months to see when she might wish to live is just not working. :rolleyes:

Thanks for the information all. I am not poor, but I am a working stiff as they say. Tried the "C" level jobs and hated it. That seems to be about politics and not doing what is right for the company and employees.

Actually the reason she started looking for a western man was because all the Chinese men she meet or was introduced to just wanted to get married and then sit in the tea houses and play Mah Jong all day. (Which seems to be a very common practic for a lot of men in Chengdu anyways!)

Of course since she was divorced, late 30's and had a daughter already, so she was almost untouchable by Chinese standards. No matter how good she looked, how succesful she was or any thing else. I think us American men are getting the best of the Chinese woman to move here. At least I found one of them! :P :lol:

Thanks for the information. I will talk to her about the form just in case. Her first goal is to buy a home with in the first week of arriving in America. Trying to get her to wait a few months to see when she might wish to live is just not working. :rolleyes:

I might be the only one that "had this problem", but TopLaw had a similar issue. My wife had a house paid for (new) a new car and had just ended one business because of a gentrification project - she was awaiting to open another new resturant when I met her and "Changed the Plans". She had significant assets - and since WE at first tried a tourist visa - all assets were shown/disclosed etc.

When I finally - got her to accept me - and agree to come to the US, we filed a K1 - and we were very careful not to "hide or slight" any of the previous information that we had provided (although I doubt if they would've noticed).

My concern with "not being forthcoming", as others have touched on, is that when you show her previous work, jobs, etc the fact that she owns her own company will be apprarent. I would be careful with this aspect of disclosure - but certainly you don't have to go get certified bank statements, copies of deeds, etc to "boost" the perception of her "middle class plus" status. So, my recommendation is only to mention the assets/ownership of the company as it pertains to the questions on the forms -- i.e. Owner/Manger - Of Little Grocery Store or some such wording. This should then not "Bring attention" to the fact, however still being factual, and also not give the appearance of hiding her avaiable funds. This can also be assuaged in your EOR letter where you can just state that she is "A self supporting small busienss owner" something that I put in ours.

I did have an advantage, as did ToPLAW, that I/we did not run the risk of someone thinking that someone was "paying us" to bring our fianaces to the US - as we both had considerable amounts of our own funds.

I also had to be extra carefullllll...fully disclosing all "pertinent aspects" about her and I, as I continually maintained a US Gov't security clearance before, during my living in China, and still upon our moving to the US.

Be honest, clear, and make sure you haven't ever given the appearance of hiding anything - it will serve you well throughout the process. Best of Luck.

Edited by 2mike&jin (see edit history)