The Black Pearl

The story of the black pearl VO at GZ is an old story that was started by the 001 gang a few years ago. She was a tough black woman known for denials. Since then the story has become somewhat of an urban legend. The problem is the original Black Pearl cycled out of the consulate years ago and every new black woman who comes to the consulate gets labeled as the Black Pearl. I don't think any of the new black woman VOs currently at the consulate are any worse than any of the other VOs but because of the reputation of the first Black Pearl they get unfairly labeled.

I said this in another thread; There is no way of knowing if the VO themselves are more harsh or they are purposely feed their set of cases because they can handle those outcomes.

Of course, if the latter... someone will be shitting their pants when they look up and see the VO they were hoping not to get :unsure:

Since all us USCs have the luxury of not having to go through the anxiety of an interview... I would recommend you get used to using lots of toilet paper to clean up any mess. And yes, there is a correct way to do it...

The reason I started this thread is because I have noticed some references to the "Black Pearl" in some other threads. I wanted to set the record straight. The original Black Pearl may have earned the reputation I don't believe any of the black woman VOs since have.

http://candleforlove.com/forums/index.php?...;hl=Black+Pearl

I agree with USCONGUZ that it falls under racial stereotyping and thus, shouldn't be acknowledged here. Thanks for making this thread; I've posted the above link because many do not take the time to read the older posts.

Consular officers (and foreign service officers in general) rotate in and out of assignments relatively frequently, the new ones in particular. I believe the stated goal for State Dept. is to have a new officer be at 3 different posts in 5 years, with at least one of those being a "hardship" post (think Ivory Coast, Afghanistan, or someplace you just would NOT want to live). After that, they rotate less frequently, but probably every 3-5 years regardless.

The original black pearl rumors started like... what, 2001? I guarantee that whoever it was is long gone. They're probably causing havoc with another country now. :bye1:

How do I know this? I took the foreign service exam (and passed!) and went to do the second round of weeding out (and failed!) about 4 years ago, so I studied up on all the details.

Consular officers (and foreign service officers in general) rotate in and out of assignments relatively frequently, the new ones in particular. I believe the stated goal for State Dept. is to have a new officer be at 3 different posts in 5 years, with at least one of those being a "hardship" post (think Ivory Coast, Afghanistan, or someplace you just would NOT want to live). After that, they rotate less frequently, but probably every 3-5 years regardless.

The original black pearl rumors started like... what, 2001? I guarantee that whoever it was is long gone. They're probably causing havoc with another country now. :bye1:

How do I know this? I took the foreign service exam (and passed!) and went to do the second round of weeding out (and failed!) about 4 years ago, so I studied up on all the details.

Personally, I believe that the lack of information about what really takes place behind the walls of the consulate is what serves to perpetuate the myths that often show up on CFL, VisaJourney, etc. The human tendency that if the information is not readily known then it is 'made up' is really what drives the cycle.

With GUZ being so secretive in just about everything it is involved in-regardless of their official or unofficial reasons for being that way-they inadvertantly lay the groundwork for perpetuating the myths that arise. I recognize that it must really be difficult sometimes for them to remain tight-lipped when they read some of the things that appear on CFL and other websites and they're probably dying to comment and/or set the record straight, but cannot for perceived security reasons. It is a shame that this lack of information fosters misinformation, but that's the truth about what happens next.

Yes, the urban legend about the Black Pearl will no doubt continue to be applied to any African-American female Visa Officer but only because the original subject of this myth was so hard on the beneficiaries who she interviewed. Who knows what instructions are given to the VOs from time-to-time about how the DOS wants them to conduct the interviews? Just last year GUZ appeared to be a stone fortress whose occupants 'ate' the beneficiaries for breakfast and couldn't care less about the resultant consequences and hardships imposed because of their decisions. While they haven't gone 'soft' across the board, this year there appears to be a more reasonable and somewhat 'kinder and gentler' attitude being exhibited by the VOs. I think this had to come from the top and trickled down to the VO level.

What surprises me more than anything is the apparent lack of former visa officers to 'come clean' about the innner workings of the consulates they've been posted at during their careers. I suspect that as part of their employment orientation packets there is a form that they sign that prohibits them from disclosing ANYTHING, under penalty of law, about their former profession. Sort of like how the people who work at Area 51 and Groom Lake are so secretive and purposely inconspicuous.

Too bad Shanghai John didn't get further along in the Foreign Service or maybe he could give us the full 'skinny' on all of this!

I wonder if immigration tends to be "easier" during a Democratic administration then a Republican administration. :mobrun:

Perhaps illegal immigration.

I wonder if immigration tends to be "easier" during a Democratic administration then a Republican administration. :greenblob:

Perhaps illegal immigration.

bullshit

:happybday: Stirring things up, keeps things interesting! Though the only illegal immigration raid so far this year takes place last week.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/articl...oa3WGwD9CDB0QG0

BELLINGHAM, Wash. ¡ª First they were arrested and faced deportation under what has proven to be the Obama administration's only workplace raid. Then they were given work permits, and told they could stay in the United States while their employer was being prosecuted.

Something is very wrong with this picture.

http://candleforlove.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=39729

Anyway you slice it, it is B.S. :mobrun: