Immigrant Registration for

I just noticed an interesting article today on the ACLU website:

http://www.aclu.org/SafeandFree/SafeandFre...?ID=14256&c=206

As Immigrant Registration Deadlines Loom Once Again, ACLU Sees Trap for Arabs and Muslims         October 30, 2003

NEW YORK – With a new annual deadline looming under the government’s “special registration” program for certain immigrants, the American Civil Liberties Union today asked the Department of Homeland Security to explain why it had failed to give adequate information to immigrants who are required to “re-register” beginning next month.  

The ACLU charged that the government was setting a trap for tens of thousands of predominantly Middle Eastern and Muslim men by failing to advise them of the program's complex requirements.

Last year, the initial registration deadlines resulted in mass confusion, detentions, and ultimately, the initiation of deportation proceedings against more than 13,000 men from predominantly Islamic nations, according to Dalia Hashad, the ACLU's Arab, Muslim and South Asian Advocate.

In most cases, it was apparent that the INS had arrested men who were simply waiting for approval of their green card applications, or those with minor visa problems caused by incompetence in the agency itself, which has been plagued by an inept bureaucracy for years.

As Immigrant Registration Deadlines Loom Once Again, ACLU Sees Trap for Arabs and Muslims         October 30, 2003

NEW YORK – With a new annual deadline looming under the government’s “special registration” program for certain immigrants, the American Civil Liberties Union today asked the Department of Homeland Security to explain why it had failed to give adequate information to immigrants who are required to “re-register” beginning next month.  

The ACLU charged that the government was setting a trap for tens of thousands of predominantly Middle Eastern and Muslim men by failing to advise them of the program's complex requirements.

Last year, the initial registration deadlines resulted in mass confusion, detentions, and ultimately, the initiation of deportation proceedings against more than 13,000 men from predominantly Islamic nations, according to Dalia Hashad, the ACLU's Arab, Muslim and South Asian Advocate.

In most cases, it was apparent that the INS had arrested men who were simply waiting for approval of their green card applications, or those with minor visa problems caused by incompetence in the agency itself, which has been plagued by an inept bureaucracy for years.

Quotes from the ACLU? Not the most neutral source on the net.

Just my Republican two cents.......

Quotes from the ACLU? Not the most neutral source on the net.

Just my Republican two cents.......

Considering the GOP's record on proposing anti-immigrant legislation I'll cast my lot with the ACLU. Just my good natured Democrat 1 1/2 cents worth (inflation due to record deficiet spending by the current administration)

Granted, the ACLU probably went a little overboard calling this a "trap".

However, I would wonder how much effort has been spent (or will be spent) on trying to contact those individuals that will be expected to re-register.

And, I did like the description of why many problems had occured a year ago:

it was apparent that the INS had arrested men [...] with minor visa problems caused by incompetence in the agency itself, which has been plagued by an inept bureaucracy for years.

Anybody else notice any "inept bureaucracy" at the INS? Of course, this is partly due to the INS, and partly due to regulations put forth by Congress.

----- Clifford ------