Need some opinions

Im in a bind my friends. My SO's interview day is on the 22nd of DEC, but the plane tickets for me to get to GUZ are extremely high during the holidays? Im trying to figure out if i should ask the consulate to push back the interview or just take a big hit on my bank account? If i can reschedule does it normally take a extremely long time to get another interview date?

I will only say this........

You being there for the interview is very important.

Really? I can see people jumping in and say "Well you should be there for her!" Yeah, that'd be nice, but that's on a relationship-by-relationship basis. My wife was stoked that I could go with her, but she'd tell you she'd be fine by herself, and knowing my wife, she would of been.

Will the consulate officers dock her a few points for you not being there? Doubt it. You're in the States, man! For me, being in China with my wife, well, then, it may be a different ballgame - but I'm not even sure of that.

I have to believe that the consulate understands all of this. It comes down to doing what you can do. That's it.

If you can make it, then I agree that you should try. It will be nice for Yi Han to have you there, but if you can't because of finances or employment issues, then don't fret over it (I'm not saying you are). IF it were me, I WOULD NOT reschedule her appointment. To me, that's just inviting potential office mishaps and prolonged anxiety.

your experience is totally different from others , you are DCF living in china has nothing in common with other visas, apart from you say not important to be there , but you were for ACS,ACH and interview CORRECT ?

Yes, I was. However, because of our solid case, I don't think it would of made a difference concerning outcome - if for some reason I couldn't of attended. What did I say that was incorrect? Did I say he shouldn't go if there were no financial issues involved? No. Did I say he should go if he's able? Sure. What's the problem? Please review what I wrote. I've set the appropriate text to bold that may be helpful.

Edited by Kyle (see edit history)

Im in a bind my friends. My SO's interview day is on the 22nd of DEC, but the plane tickets for me to get to GUZ are extremely high during the holidays? Im trying to figure out if i should ask the consulate to push back the interview or just take a big hit on my bank account? If i can reschedule does it normally take a extremely long time to get another interview date?

maybe your solid case was made by you being there

Really? I can see people jumping in and say "Well you should be there for her!" Yeah, that'd be nice, but that's on a relationship-by-relationship basis. My wife was stoked that I could go with her, but she'd tell you she'd be fine by herself, and knowing my wife, she would of been.

Will the consulate officers dock her a few points for you not being there? Doubt it. You're in the States, man! For me, being in China with my wife, well, then, it may be a different ballgame - but I'm not even sure of that.

I have to believe that the consulate understands all of this. It comes down to doing what you can do. That's it.

If you can make it, then I agree that you should try. It will be nice for Yi Han to have you there, but if you can't because of finances or employment issues, then don't fret over it (I'm not saying you are). IF it were me, I WOULD NOT reschedule her appointment. To me, that's just inviting potential office mishaps and prolonged anxiety.

your experience is totally different from others , you are DCF living in china has nothing in common with other visas, apart from you say not important to be there , but you were for ACS,ACH and interview CORRECT ?

Yes, I was. However, because of our solid case, I don't think it would of made a difference concerning outcome - if for some reason I couldn't of attended. What did I say that was incorrect? Did I say he shouldn't go if there were no financial issues involved? No. Did I say he should go if he's able? Sure. What's the problem? Please review what I wrote. I've set the appropriate text to bold that may be helpful.

maybe your solid case was you being there to

Perhaps, but I feel that our strength came from being married three years, my five years in China, Jingjing's three visits to America, and simply over preparing and front-loading our application. I'm not arguing with you that it's not a plus for people to go. But, I don't think showing up to ACH is going to make or break an application that's been adequately prepared. If you can be there with your spouse then great, you should - as I mentioned in my first post, as I'm sure the encouragement would be helpful. However, I don't feel that anyone should incur a lot of debt or spend their nest egg, which they will use once they are in the States, just to be there for the interview. This is just my opinion, and it's quite ok if anyone has different thoughts - I respect that.

I would echo people who say not to reschedule. If you cannot make it, you cannot make it. Another point to note is that if you do reschedule, it may be close to the Chinese New Year. Trust me, you do not want to be traveling at that time within China (if your wife is not from Guangzhou she will be using train/plane to get there). When we traveled a week before Chinese New Year, I had a panic attack because there were just so many people in the train...couldn't even walk to the bathroom. So for that reason, as well, I would not want to risk rescheduling it and getting a date very close to Chinese New Year.

I couldn't agree with xiaofeizhu more. Chinese New Year is a travelers nightmare!

Additionally, if you don't like the price of air tickets at Christmas, you won't like the price at New Year, either...

I would like to offer a different perspective.......examine your conscience. Sure it will be expensive but you can always get more money but you can't go back after it is done.

Personally, I would have walked through fire, to be with Rachel at the interview (glad I didn't have to do that!). I am not wealthy, far from it, but I accepted the costs of this endeavour without a thought. I can only speak for myself, Louis, and would not want project myself onto you, but I would not delay something that is so important, and I would be there for her.

Good luck, to the both of you!

I would echo people who say not to reschedule. If you cannot make it, you cannot make it. Another point to note is that if you do reschedule, it may be close to the Chinese New Year. Trust me, you do not want to be traveling at that time within China (if your wife is not from Guangzhou she will be using train/plane to get there). When we traveled a week before Chinese New Year, I had a panic attack because there were just so many people in the train...couldn't even walk to the bathroom. So for that reason, as well, I would not want to risk rescheduling it and getting a date very close to Chinese New Year.

Just by looking at your timeline, I would say you have a fairly strong case because you met while working together and waited almost a year before you filed. Of course I cannot say anything for sure, no one can, but if you have everything prepared for her, she should be fine at the interview alone if you should choose not to go.

Best wishes and let us know how it goes!

echo that

with the Chinese new Year, you may not even be able to get a date until after it. and if you do, you may end up waiting or going back to get your visa since the consulate will be closed for the extended period of time.

here is the 2010 holiday schedule

http://guangzhou.usembassy-china.org.cn/holidays.html

good luck

your experience is totally different from others , you are DCF living in china has nothing in common with other visas, apart from you say not important to be there

I'm not sure of this. USCIS doesn't (from my understanding) have two sets of standards that they judge by when determining whether a case should be granted or not. Filing from the States, and filing from within China each have their own issues to overcome. For most of you filing in the States, domicile is not an issue, however, for those filing from within China, it is. In both cases the issue of having US domicile must be met.

There is a set standard that must be met (which does include a subjective interpretation of the set criteria), regardless of where you file. Depending on where you file, however, may steer the VO's focus on potential weaknesses in your case. This of course, is just my opinion. I do not believe that people who file from within China have it any easier or harder than those who file in America (those filing from within China definitely seem to have a quicker process though)- especially since many, if not most, who file from within China, do not have a job waiting for them in the States, nor do they keep leases to property during that time.

There is some related discussion about being in GUZ on another thread.

http://candleforlove.com/forums/index.php?...mp;#entry528116

Good luck Louis, and Yi Han! My wife and I will be excited to hear your upcoming good news.

Thanks to everyone! Im going to buy the tickets today, I truly believe I would regret not going. The money isnt too bad, I just happen to be closing escrow on my new house mid-December. :D Knowing Yi Han she will be nervous at the interview so I do think it will be best if im there. :P

I'm glad you made the decision that feels right for you. I know the feeling of going crazy. In fact, I think I was more nervous before the interview than my hubby was! Anyway, best of luck and let us know how it goes!! I am sure you will be fine!