China (Z) work visa issue

Hello all! I will be moving back to China in January for work and have a question that I hope someone MIGHT be able to help me with here...(I have emailed my employer the same question and am waiting on an answer.)

I plan to arrive in Guangzhou, China on January 4th. I will begin work at the end of January. I have just been invited to a wedding party in Hong Kong two days after I arrive in China. I would really like to go to the party. As I understand, the Z (work) visa is only for a single entry. So, I would like to find out if I can go to Hong Kong two days after arrival for the wedding and then re-apply for the Z visa or single entry visa with China Travel Service (or similar) in Hong Kong (I can stay there with a friend to wait.) Or, perhaps the other way around. Arrive in China on a tourist visa, go to Hong Kong and then apply for the Z visa from there.

If not, is there any chance to get a two-entry visa when I apply (for an extra fee?) I'm doubtful...

I know these are questions for CTS, etc. but hoping someone might have an idea.

Thanks!

Aaron

Edited by canrun (see edit history)

Hello all! I will be moving back to China in January for work and have a question that I hope someone MIGHT be able to help me with here...(I have emailed my employer the same question and am waiting on an answer.)

I plan to arrive in Guangzhou, China on January 4th. I will begin work at the end of January. I have just been invited to a wedding party in Hong Kong two days after I arrive in China. I would really like to go to the party. As I understand, the Z (work) visa is only for a single entry. So, I would like to find out if I can go to Hong Kong two days after arrival for the wedding and then re-apply for the Z visa or single entry visa with China Travel Service (or similar) in Hong Kong (I can stay there with a friend to wait.) Or, perhaps the other way around. Arrive in China on a tourist visa, go to Hong Kong and then apply for the Z visa from there.

If not, is there any chance to get a two-entry visa when I apply (for an extra fee?) I'm doubtful...

Thanks!

Aaron

You are correct in that the "Z" visa is only valid for a single entry. Once you go through formalities and obtain a residence permit, then you can leave and enter the country as often as you like as the residence permit replaces the "Z" visa.

As it stands now, if you have not obtained the residence permit and still leave the country, your "Z" visa will become invalid and you will have to apply for a new one. Sometimes this can be done in Hong Kong, but often times they will make you return to your country of origin -- it depends on which way the winds are blowing that particular day.

There are two possible solutions to your issue. One is to have them process the residence permit asap so you will have it in your passport before you need to go to Hong Kong for the wedding. Second would be to go to the Public Security Bureau in Guangzhou and ask them for an exit / re-entry permit which would allow you to leave the country without losing your "Z" visa. Sometimes they will do that, but not always.

By the way, CTS in Hong Kong is not authorized to help you get a new "Z" visa. "Z" visas can only be obtained in Hong Kong from the PRC Visa Office and even then only under certain circumstances.

Edited by GDBILL (see edit history)

Well, that's too bad. How about this:

Or, perhaps the other way around. Arrive in China on a tourist visa, go to Hong Kong and then apply for the Z visa from there.

Can I then go through the Chinese consulate in Hong Kong?

Thanks for your hep...didn't think I could pull this off...

Well, that's too bad. How about this:

Or, perhaps the other way around. Arrive in China on a tourist visa, go to Hong Kong and then apply for the Z visa from there.

Can I then go through the Chinese consulate in Hong Kong?

Thanks for your hep...didn't think I could pull this off...

You need to consult with your prospective employer.

Generally speaking, you cannot choose where to apply for the "Z" visa. Usually the government-issued invitation your employer sends you allowing you to apply for the "Z" visa specifies where you must apply for the visa. You will not be issued a "Z" visa at any visa-issuing office other than the one specified.

Even if your employer can have the invitation issued stating Hong Kong, there is no chance Hong Kong will issue you a visa. Every once in a while the PRC Visa Office in Hong Kong enforces a policy that no matter where your invitation specifies, they only issue "Z" visas to those who can produce a Hong Kong ID card.

You didn't say if you were flying into Hong Kong or Guangzhou. If you are flying into Hong Kong directly from the USA why couldn't you just delay your flight another day and go directly to the wedding in Hong Kong before entering Guangzhou on the Z-visa. You wouldn't need the visa to get into Hong Kong and could stay there the day you went to the wedding with no problems. This would only be possible of course if you can change your flight times so that the timing would work for you.

Gale

Thanks!

Aaron

You didn't say if you were flying into Hong Kong or Guangzhou. If you are flying into Hong Kong directly from the USA why couldn't you just delay your flight another day and go directly to the wedding in Hong Kong before entering Guangzhou on the Z-visa. You wouldn't need the visa to get into Hong Kong and could stay there the day you went to the wedding with no problems. This would only be possible of course if you can change your flight times so that the timing would work for you.

Gale

Thanks!

Aaron

I was thinking the same thing :lol:

Yeah, my ticket is booked for GZ, so I guess I'm just gonna call em' up and say congrats over the phone. Oh, well...mei banfa!

If you really want to go just apply for a tourist or business multi-entry Chinese visa here in the States. Use your Z-visa to enter China the first time and then use your tourist/business visa to travel in and out of China while waiting for the Resident Permit. It can take up 1-2 months before you get the resident permit depending on how things go.

The tourist/business visa is less than $200 total.

Yeah, my ticket is booked for GZ, so I guess I'm just gonna call em' up and say congrats over the phone. Oh, well...mei banfa!

If you really want to go just apply for a tourist or business multi-entry Chinese visa here in the States. Use your Z-visa to enter China the first time and then use your tourist/business visa to travel in and out of China while waiting for the Resident Permit. It can take up 1-2 months before you get the resident permit depending on how things go.

Wouldn't work. You cannot have two valid visas in your passport at the same time.

Wouldn't work. You cannot have two valid visas in your passport at the same time.

I had a valid F-Visa (I got it before I knew that my return assignment would require me to have a Z-Visa) and Z-Visa in my passport in Jan 2008. I entered China with no problems.

I had a valid F-Visa (I got it before I knew that my return assignment would require me to have a Z-Visa) and Z-Visa in my passport in Jan 2008. I entered China with no problems.

That's you. You were lucky.

The normal process is to cancel any existing visas upon issuance of a new one.