Q? about getting a visa for our American/Chinese son to visit China

Ying and I are going back to visit her family and to introduce them to our new son (born here in the US last June). I was looking on a China consular site and saw this:

5. A child of Chinese descent and born outside of China who applies for a Chinese visa for the first time is required to submit his or her Birth Certificate and current Passport. One of his or her parents' Chinese passport with Alien Card (Green Card), or current non-Chinese passport are also required. Notarized copies are accepted.

Do we need to do that? I'm hoping someone else has been through this already and knows...

Thanks in advance,

Bruce & Ying

Edited by Bruce&Ying (see edit history)

Ying and I are going back to visit her family and to introduce them to our new son (born here in the US last June). I was looking on a China consular site and saw this:

5. A child of Chinese descent and born outside of China who applies for a Chinese visa for the first time is required to submit his or her Birth Certificate and current Passport. One of his or her parents' Chinese passport with Alien Card (Green Card), or current non-Chinese passport are also required. Notarized copies are accepted.

Do we need to do that? I'm hoping someone else has been through this already and knows...

Thanks in advance,

Bruce & Ying

Because you are a US citizen and your wife has a US green card, your son is treated as a US citizen, and as such, he needs a China visa. You just follow whatever the instructions there, then you should be fine.

Another way is to ask for a Chinese travel agency who is experienced in helping US citizens obtaining a visa. Then you do not have to go all the way to NYC. You may have to pay a small fee for the China travel agency in your local area.

Thanks in advance,

Bruce & Ying

Because you are a US citizen and your wife has a US green card, your son is treated as a US citizen, and as such, he needs a China visa. You just follow whatever the instructions there, then you should be fine.

Another way is to ask for a Chinese travel agency who is experienced in helping US citizens obtaining a visa. Then you do not have to go all the way to NYC. You may have to pay a small fee for the China travel agency in your local area.

Using a travel agency is an excellent idea. I have used flychina.com and had no problems with them.