Hi Folks,

What a great site this is. Just full of helpful information.

I'm just getting started. I'll be going on my second trip to China this coming January. My GF lives in SZ, but her hometown is near Nanchang. We met online last January. I went to meet her in March. Now we webcam every day.

I'm going to buy her a scanner/printer when I'm there to help facilitate the information exchange.

We are going the K-1 route. We had been planning to marry there but the K-3 process could take so long and if we run into any problems her daughter might turn 18 in the process. And with a K-1 we have until she's 21. Plus, just in case she is absolutely miserable here, she would have the option of going home. But we really love each other very much and I don't see that happening.

I'll be gathering more evidence of our relationship while I'm there. Going to her hometown. Taking plenty of pictures, like with her parents and daughter, and everywhere we travel. Keeping all my receipts. Documenting and dating everything.

Is there anything I'm not thinking of? Any advice would be most appreciated.

Danny

This may not affect your decision, but just FYI - as long as her daughter is under 18 when you marry, she qualifies as your "daughter for immigration purposes", and you may file for her.

That is, the time limit is for when you marry, not when she gets the visa

This may not affect your decision, but just FYI - as long as her daughter is under 18 when you marry, she qualifies as your "daughter for immigration purposes", and you may file for her.

Yes Randy is right and I can add to this for you to consider a CR1. CR1s are much faster now and she comes to the USA with a 2 year green card that costs you less than the 1018 bucks if you did the K3. Much better deal IMO.

if your staying in Shenzhen I can let you know of 2 great places to stay . 1 has a great western / asian breakfast with the room . I can also let you know of a personal driver I used may times . I really miss Shenzhen .

contact me in a P.M.

Michael

Yes Randy is right and I can add to this for you to consider a CR1. CR1s are much faster now and she comes to the USA with a 2 year green card that costs you less than the 1018 bucks if you did the K3. Much better deal IMO.

Considering costs, K-1 is the most expensive option then K-3, and finally CR-1 is the least expensive.

Have your researched the Superior CR-1 spousal visa, the one without adjustment of status?

If considering K-3 think carefully about it. CR-1 and K-3 tend to take about the same time, K-3 use to save you about a month not any more, however the K-3 has the added pain of adjustment of status, and it NOT a work authorized visa, so also has the added period of limbo waiting for EAD to be able to do things like take a job, get SSN, etc...

For the most part CR-1 tends to take a bit longer than K-3 to get if you prepare for NVC when they request I-864 fee, and Visa fee, as well as documents requested by NVC. In many cases the CR-1 petition reaches the consulate just before K-3 interview, which causes K-3 to get dropped and the interview becomes a CR-1 visa interview.

K-1:

I-129F: $455

Consulate: $131

AOS: $1010

I-693 Vaccinations record: ($35 - $???)

($1596) Not including I-693 and medical done for visa

K-3:

I-130: $355

I-129F: NONE

($1496) Not including I-693 and medical done for visa

CR-1

NVC I-864: $70

NVC Visa fee: $400 ($355+$45)

Vaccinations and medical done for visa.

($825) Vaccinations in China don't require additional fee to transfer to an I-693

I see many posts from K-3 holders stating, "Wow this sucks, I am stuck at home because I don't have EAD, DL, etc, or I am having hard time getting added to bank accounts because of NO SSN." K-3 has a 90 day or longer period of limbo while waiting for EAD or Green-card.

K-3 was developed at a time when CR-1 was taking much longer that today, NVC has greatly streamlined the CR-1 process to the point where K-3 becomes irrelevant.

Guangzhou has a new pilot program with NVC that allows them to process and send documents to GUZ electronically for CR-1 visas, this greatly speeds up the process to the point where the CR-1 case reaches the consulate before K-3 interview.

Lastly, a green-card is for permanent residency in the USA, it is not a permanent visa for living in a foreign country with visits to the USA, USCIS can determine that the card is not being used to live in the USA and can consider the LPR status at any time if not living in the USA.

Thanks Randy, great info. I'm learning a lot. I would still feel more comfortable having her come here just to make sure she really like it here.

Thanks Randy, great info. I'm learning a lot. I would still feel more comfortable having her come here just to make sure she really like it here.

There is wisdom in this logic. My wife and I insisted on doing the same thing (except that we married in China and not the States). It's good for both parties to get a feel for both cultures, if possible, before making permanent life changing decisions. In addition to the obvious reasons, you'll learn more about what makes her, her, and she'll learn more about what makes you, you. Good luck with your process.

I see what Kyle's saying, but also keep in mind that this will only get her 90 days max.

Considering costs, K-1 is the most expensive option then K-3, and finally CR-1 is the least expensive.

Have your researched the Superior CR-1 spousal visa, the one without adjustment of status?

If considering K-3 think carefully about it. CR-1 and K-3 tend to take about the same time, K-3 use to save you about a month not any more, however the K-3 has the added pain of adjustment of status, and it NOT a work authorized visa, so also has the added period of limbo waiting for EAD to be able to do things like take a job, get SSN, etc...

For the most part CR-1 tends to take a bit longer than K-3 to get if you prepare for NVC when they request I-864 fee, and Visa fee, as well as documents requested by NVC. In many cases the CR-1 petition reaches the consulate just before K-3 interview, which causes K-3 to get dropped and the interview becomes a CR-1 visa interview.

K-1:

I-129F: $455

($1596) Not including I-693 and medical done for visa

K-3:

I-129F: NONE

($1496) Not including I-693 and medical done for visa

CR-1

NVC I-864: $70

NVC Visa fee: $400 ($355+$45)

Vaccinations and medical done for visa.

($825) Vaccinations in China don't require additional fee to transfer to an I-693

I see many posts from K-3 holders stating, "Wow this sucks, I am stuck at home because I don't have EAD, DL, etc, or I am having hard time getting added to bank accounts because of NO SSN." K-3 has a 90 day or longer period of limbo while waiting for EAD or Green-card.

K-3 was developed at a time when CR-1 was taking much longer that today, NVC has greatly streamlined the CR-1 process to the point where K-3 becomes irrelevant.

Guangzhou has a new pilot program with NVC that allows them to process and send documents to GUZ electronically for CR-1 visas, this greatly speeds up the process to the point where the CR-1 case reaches the consulate before K-3 interview.

Lastly, a green-card is for permanent residency in the USA, it is not a permanent visa for living in a foreign country with visits to the USA, USCIS can determine that the card is not being used to live in the USA and can consider the LPR status at any time if not living in the USA.

Thanks Dan, That's a lot of useful info. Looks like you've been at this for awhile. I never really took cost into consideration. At first I was just looking for the fastest way to get her here. But now I just want to try to get everything right the first time around.

She also needs all the time she can get to study English. She's going to English class every night now. Her vocabulary is pretty good but she needs work on her pronunciation.

I am confused (duh) about how long it will take to get her EAD once we marry and we file her AOS. I suppose she can't get that until we are married. I'm sure it can be found somewhere here on this site. Without this site I would be totaly lost. I have an attorney but I still like to know everything myself rather than just being told what to do. I am going to ask him about a CR-1.

Thanks again

Danny

Thanks Dan, That's a lot of useful info. Looks like you've been at this for awhile. I never really took cost into consideration. At first I was just looking for the fastest way to get her here. But now I just want to try to get everything right the first time around.

She also needs all the time she can get to study English. She's going to English class every night now. Her vocabulary is pretty good but she needs work on her pronunciation.

I am confused (duh) about how long it will take to get her EAD once we marry and we file her AOS. I suppose she can't get that until we are married. I'm sure it can be found somewhere here on this site. Without this site I would be totaly lost. I have an attorney but I still like to know everything myself rather than just being told what to do. I am going to ask him about a CR-1.

Thanks again

Danny

Staying in China won't help her pronunciation at all - she can only get that here in the states (unless she has a native English speaking teacher)

It sounds from what you're saying that she is WAY ahead of that game.

The EAD can be filed for (free) with the AOS application, and will take 60 to 90 days at most.

Plus, just in case she is absolutely miserable here, she would have the option of going home. But we really love each other very much and I don't see that happening.

Hopefully the western concept of recycled products is beyond actual people.

If your not totally sure, don't go there. You will know deep in your gut... or not. If not... don't go there. Don't play games with her.

K-1 is not a "lets see" visa, I agree with DavidZ

What if you have a hard time in those 90 days ? kick her to touch ?

What if you have adjustment problems after the 90 days ? end it before AOS/GC received?

Don't bring her here unless you are willing to put the work in, and I s!*t you not there will be some tribulations .