converting american cooktop for china power

We are in the process of finishing a new apartment in Wuhan for my wife's parents and when we visit. Liwen wants to buy a 220 volt cooktop here in the USA and bring it with on our next trip to China. Most adapters I have seen are for 110 to 220. Are there adapters available for 220 american to 220 Chinese plugs? Are there any potential problems besides wrong plug size that we need to be aware of?

Any info would be appreciated.

Edited by DocMartin817 (see edit history)

220v Heating devices will not have a problem.

You may have to simply visit a hardware store in china and buy a plug and cut the US one off and replace with one for use in China.

Many outlets in China will accept the normal < | | > style plug, you could buy a standard "110v" US plug and replace the < - - > or < - | > style plug.

Only issue you may have is amperage, if the appliance exceeds 15 amps you may have an issue if the wall outlet is not rated for more than 15 amps.

Also be aware of the the CCC (3C) standard that Chinese electronics must conform to. The current is also 50 cycle instead of 60 like we have here, which can reduce the impedance and cause it to use more current than it does here in the states. You're probably okay here though.

My understanding of the 50-60 cycles difference should be minimal as you are useing heating elements, the american appliance may not heat up quite as quick but will last a little longer, example a motor that is based on 50 cycles will run a little faster than the name plate rateing thus give it a shorter life span, a motor rated for 60 cycle will run slower than the name plate rating and last longer. We have a hot plate we brought here, it works on 110 but it takes twice as long to heat up, amperage at 110 never checked it. amperage will probably remain about the same on either 50-60 cycles , just make sure of the amperage of the appliance, and make sure the wire size supplying power is in accordance with the N.E.C. as most ranges are wired with #8 copper or #6 aluminium and the breaker size is 45 amps you can push it to 50 on breaker size depending on local electrical inspectors

I see it is a cooktop go by the american name plate rating it should be 30 amps and it should be wired with #10 wire and be on a 30 amp breaker, if the name plate is only 20 it will be on #12 wire