Visitor Visa Question

My wife's father-in-law's brother wants to visit the United States. Since he can't find another sucker to fill out an affidavit of financial support, he has turned to me. Of course, my wife wants to help out her uncle, so I have no choice.

So I have a few questions:

1. What form do I need to fill out to support this guy?

2. I don't really know or even trust the guy. If I fill out an affidavit of support, what am I liable for? He is only planning to come for a few weeks, and I am pretty sure that he will leave. However, I don't really know what his intentions are. He says that he is here to visit his mother in California, who can't support him because she is on welfare. But the guy is a schemeing rat... so he could be doing something illegal for all I know. If he screws up, can I get in trouble?

3. Has anyone else experienced pressures from your Chinese wife's family? As soon as I married her, all of the relatives line up for favors. It's so infuriating. Unfortunately, I don't have a choice in this matter. Either I support the jerk or I alienate my wife's entire family... which is not an option because she is very, very close to them.

Edited by Cody (see edit history)

My wife's father-in-law's brother wants to visit the United States. Since he can't find another sucker to fill out an affidavit of financial support, he has turned to me. Of course, my wife wants to help out her uncle, so I have no choice.

2. I don't really know or even trust the guy. If I fill out an affidavit of support, what am I liable for? He is only planning to come for a few weeks, and I am pretty sure that he will leave. However, I don't really know what his intentions are. He says that he is here to visit his mother in California, who can't support him because she is on welfare. But the guy is a schemeing rat... so he could be doing something illegal for all I know. If he screws up, can I get in trouble?

3. Has anyone else experienced pressures from your Chinese wife's family? As soon as I married her, all of the relatives line up for favors. It's so infuriating. Unfortunately, I don't have a choice in this matter. Either I support the jerk or I alienate my wife's entire family... which is not an option because she is very, very close to them.

Wouldn't your wife's father-in-law's brother be your uncle (your father's brother)?

1) If just visiting the USA you will be sponsoring a NON-Immigrant, the form is I-134.

2) You can specify for how much and how long you are willing to sponsor on the I-134, this form is to show support.

3) Sure, but you are a part of their family now.

Info for visitors visa is her: http://candleforlove.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=8469

Moving to visa first steps forum.

Edited by dnoblett (see edit history)

Wouldn't your wife's father-in-law's brother be your uncle (your father's brother)?

Good observation. It's kind of tricky. My wife's father-in-law is not really her father-in-law. He is more of a live-in boyfriend with my mother-in-law. However, he has lived with her for so long that my wife considers him to be her father. So in reality, there is no legal connection between me and this guy. For the sake of simplicity, I'm calling him my "wife's father-in-law's brother".