Question about Passport after Oath

My wife is changing her name at the oath. I understand they let you apply for a passport right there?

I've heard advantages of taking care of your passport afterwards are:

- you can take care of getting status changed at the SS office

- you can make a copy of your Naturalization Certificate before you send it off.

- lines are shorter at the Post Office

However, I have also heard if you get your name changed, there can be hassle at the post office because your Naturalization certificate does not have the same name as your other government ID (like driver's license). According to the rules, the Naturalization certificate is all you need, but more than one person has had an issue with this on Visajourney (due to name change).

My thought is if you do it there, they will not have any ID issues, since they have completely verified her ID during the oath and just finished the name change.

With that in mind, would you recommend taking care of passport at the oath ceremony, or to do it ourselves afterwards? If we do it there, should we have the passport application form ready and filled out already?

Thanks!

My wife is changing her name at the oath. I understand they let you apply for a passport right there?

I've heard advantages of taking care of your passport afterwards are:

- you can take care of getting status changed at the SS office

- you can make a copy of your Naturalization Certificate before you send it off.

- lines are shorter at the Post Office

However, I have also heard if you get your name changed, there can be hassle at the post office because your Naturalization certificate does not have the same name as your other government ID (like driver's license). According to the rules, the Naturalization certificate is all you need, but more than one person has had an issue with this on Visajourney (due to name change).

My thought is if you do it there, they will not have any ID issues, since they have completely verified her ID during the oath and just finished the name change.

With that in mind, would you recommend taking care of passport at the oath ceremony, or to do it ourselves afterwards? If we do it there, should we have the passport application form ready and filled out already?

Thanks!

They didn't offer my wife the option of applying for a passport at the Federal building. We went to the post office one block north. I don't think you'll have any problems there.