China Household Register Book

Don't believe this is necessary. Asked my wife and she didn't need it.

Not needed, it is used to get a "Birth Cert" which IS needed.

I haven't made it to the interview yet, but we did take her hukou when we submitted her I-130, we even took photocopies. They didn't even look at them, nor did they want them. There has been some talk about the hukou, and I'm not sure it is all that important, because your name wouldn't be on it anyways. Only Chinese citizens have have their names in the residence book.

What Jingjing and I are doing is getting a letter from the Wuhan residence bureau stating that we've been living at the same residence from such-and-such time, then we'll get it notarized (white book)

Others may have alternative advice, but this is what has been suggested for us, and it makes sense, since both of our names can be on the same document.

I'm curious, what address did you use for her when you filled out the I-130? I accompanied my in-laws when they updated their hukou. Her family should be able to do it within a week or two - so their is still time if that is your main concern.

I'm sure Jingjing and I will take it with us to the interview, just in case. It would be my luck, the one thing that we didn't bring, would be the thing they will ask for.

This is an English version of what we're going to give to the residence bureau, which they'll sign, date, and red-stamp.

Certificate of Residence

This is to certify that Kyle (middle and last name) (Passport No. : *********) and (surname) Jingjing (Passport No.: *********) live at (current address) Wuhan, Hubei Province, P.R.China since (date moved in together) till present.

(current date)

Edited by KJJ (see edit history)

I haven't made it to the interview yet, but we did take her hukou when we submitted her I-130, we even took photocopies. They didn't even look at them, nor did they want them. There has been some talk about the hukou, and I'm not sure it is all that important, because your name wouldn't be on it anyways. Only Chinese citizens have have their names in the residence book.

What Jingjing and I are doing is getting a letter from the Wuhan residence bureau stating that we've been living at the same residence from such-and-such time, then we'll get it notarized (white book)

Others may have alternative advice, but this is what has been suggested for us, and it makes sense, since both of our names can be on the same document.

I'm curious, what address did you use for her when you filled out the I-130? I accompanied my in-laws when they updated their hukou. Her family should be able to do it within a week or two - so their is still time if that is your main concern.

I'm sure Jingjing and I will take it with us to the interview, just in case. It would be my luck, the one thing that we didn't bring, would be the thing they will ask for.

This is an English version of what we're going to give to the residence bureau, which they'll sign, date, and red-stamp.

Certificate of Residence

This is to certify that Kyle (middle and last name) (Passport No. : *********) and (surname) Jingjing (Passport No.: *********) live at (current address) Wuhan, Hubei Province, P.R.China since (date moved in together) till present.

(current date)

The problem with my wife's Res book is it hasn't been updated for about three years. So, it does not match what I wrote down on the I-130 or G325A forms when listing all her addresses. Her household book is out of date.

I like the idea you are doing on getting a letter from the local residence bureau. I wonder how hard it would be to do in Beijing. My wife is not a Beijing person, so I'm not sure if this is something we could do.

Is the white book you have something different you receive from the Wuhan residence bureau or PSB? If anything else is out there that I can obtain, even if not required for the visa process, I would be interesed in getting. I think everything can help and it's always good to be overly prepard.

We took my hubby's hukou almost everywhere we went, including the interview. However, we did not even use it once. I think they might have asked us for it when we DCFed to verify that he was filing in the correct counselor district but he never used it except to get the birth certificate, like was already mentioned. I would not worry about this because my husband's hukou was not updated and had his address that he lived at when he was in high school. He actually moved twice within Innner Mongolia so the address in the hukou was not even correct but we had no problems.

We took my hubby's hukou almost everywhere we went, including the interview. However, we did not even use it once. I think they might have asked us for it when we DCFed to verify that he was filing in the correct counselor district but he never used it except to get the birth certificate, like was already mentioned. I would not worry about this because my husband's hukou was not updated and had his address that he lived at when he was in high school. He actually moved twice within Innner Mongolia so the address in the hukou was not even correct but we had no problems.

Thanks, i feel a lot better about this. My wife's hukou book still has the address when she lived with her Ex-husband. She has moved three times since then. I listed all the address on the G325A, I-129F, etc.. forms..

Thanks, i feel a lot better about this. My wife's hukou book still has the address when she lived with her Ex-husband. She has moved three times since then. I listed all the address on the G325A, I-129F, etc.. forms..

This is a good thing to point out. We also listed my hubby's addresses that he lived at on all of the forms that required it. The U.S. doesn't check (and probably does not care) what is in the hukou but they do care that you listed all of the places.