China's 60th

Those pictures are pretty cool. I actually live not too far away from the statue in the first picture. I saw them repainting it when I was coming home from school. It sort of slipped my mind that the big 60 was coming up. Guess that's why they were doing that. Thanks for sharing.

Edited by KJJ (see edit history)

"Girls with guns never gets old. "

" ...My wife was a sergeant in the PLA...."

Lucky dog.... Does she still put on the uniform, and presumably.... take off...........

But, as to "the girls with guns"... About 8 months ago, North Korea did a similar march by...... the girls with guns were all ball busters... and I'm sure it was no coincidence...

But yeah, I'm guessing that the SO's of the 'girls w/guns' are gonna have a pretty good time after the parade ~!

I was in Beijing for the 50th. celebration, and it was an experience I will never forget. My adopted daughter was 4, and returning for the first time to a place she hated... but loved by the time we left....

Woof, woof!

Beijing is a mess with all the preparations for the 60th. Just yesterday they had another full rehearsal and the major east-west artery, Chang An Jie, was closed off. Traffic was worse of a nightmare than it usually is -- which is pretty bad.

The good thing is all the added emphasis on security. Your common Xin Jiang thieves have all been shipped out of Beijing and now people actually use the bag scanners at subway stations.

On Oct. 1st those without special invitations will only catch a glimpse of the parade and festivities if they have a special invitation. Evenn then they say there will be big crowds and long waits. I hope it's worth it.

Oh, and the more rehearsals they have the better ... each one gets me a day off work.

• 2 weeks later...

I was living in China back in '99, when the 50th was celebrated. It was really quite a shindig, for sure. I still remember the images of Jiang Zemin (Zimen?) riding around in the limo standing up with his head and shoulders above the pop top. I had been in China for a little over a year on Oct. 1, 1999. Like I said, it was really quite a celebration. We had an apartment full of students watching it all on TV.

I was living in China back in '99, when the 50th was celebrated. It was really quite a shindig, for sure. I still remember the images of Jiang Zemin (Zimen?) riding around in the limo standing up with his head and shoulders above the pop top. I had been in China for a little over a year on Oct. 1, 1999. Like I said, it was really quite a celebration. We had an apartment full of students watching it all on TV.

I remember the 50th, too!

Mr. Jiang was riding in what looked like a Pope-mobile up and down the line of troops waving. I also remember him seated in the entrance to Tian'an Men above and to the left of the big Chairman Mao picture waving.