I-129F K3 Children Question

Hello,

I am very happy to be part of " A Candle for Love" community. I'm little confused if I should list my wife's child on the I-129F question 13. The child lives with the ex-husband and there will be no plans for the child to immigrate to the US right now. I did list the child on the I-130 that I just sent into USCIS.

Thanks so much!!!

Edited by JonathanM (see edit history)

A few notes:

K-4 Follow to Join is only available for up to 1 year after parent gets the K-3, after that and you will need to file an I-130 for a visa for child.

Child needs to be younger than age 18 at the time of marriage for you to file I-130 either for a CR-2 or to adjust status from a K-4 visa.

If you know that it may be some time before the child may immigrate, then consider just doing CR-1 spousal visa, and then later IF it is decided to bring child to the USA file an I-130 for a CR-2/IR-2 visa for child.

A key factor here is the child MUST immigrate and be approved for a Green-card BEFORE the child's 21st birthday.

A key factor here is the child MUST immigrate and be approved for a Green-card BEFORE the child's 21st birthday.

This is not true for K-4's - an I-130 must be filed (not for the visa, but to adjust status), and the only restrictions there, are:

1) The child must have been under 18 in order for the American citizen to file for his "child for immigration purposes" (like you said)

2) The I-130 must be FILED before the child becomes 21 (i.e., no longer a child)

The Child Status Protection Act freezes the age of the child at the time the I-130 is filed.

As long as the child is listed on the I-129F, he is eligible for the K-4 up to one year after the mother uses her K-3/

Edited by Randy W (see edit history)

This is not true for K-4's - an I-130 must be filed, and the only restrictions there, are:

1) The child must have been under 18 in order for the American citizen to file for his "child for immigration purposes" (like you said)

2) The I-130 must be FILED before the child becomes 21 (i.e., no longer a child)

The Child Status Protection Act freezes the age of the child at the time the I-130 is filed.

Good catch. Thanks for the correction!