Can we claim?

I think somebody told me about that before, but I am not so sure.

Do we,Chinese working in America only holding green cards not citizenship, get social security?

Do we,Chinese working in America only holding green cards not citizenship, get social security?

Yes, however if they retire and return to the home country the benefit is only 1/2, if a US Citizen it will be full benefit. I believe if retire in the USA it will be full benefit.

A requirement is you have to work and be credited with 40 quarters of work.

Yes, however if they retire and return to the home country the benefit is only 1/2, if a US Citizen it will be full benefit. I believe if retire in the USA it will be full benefit.

A requirement is you have to work and be credited with 40 quarters of work.

Thanks a lot for the information.

That is about what I heard of before, but how many years of work will build up 40 credits?

You may earn up to 4 credits per year, so 10 years. It is based on your income for the year. Even if you earn the money in one day, it will still count as four credits.

Look at spousal benefits also. Your spouse can gain 4 credits every year based on your income.

The many different options can be confusing - you need someone to look at your specific situation to determine what your possibilities are.

Edited by Randy W (see edit history)

You may earn up to 4 credits per year, so 10 years. It is based on your income for the year. Even if you earn the money in one day, it will still count as four credits.

Look at spousal benefits also. Your spouse can gain 4 credits every year based on your income.

The many different options can be confusing - you need someone to look at your specific situation to determine what your possibilities are.

Thanks Randy, so I will get credits from my husband's working?

Thanks Randy, so I will get credits from my husband's working?

Yes - and I think you will have a choice ultimately of drawing his approximate benefits (after his death), or your own, whichever is larger, assuming you have accrued the 40 credits

Like I said, it can be complicated

Edited by Randy W (see edit history)