minimum income?

The girl I have been talking to says that one of her friends got her visa rejected because the man didnt meet the minimum income requirement? Does anyone know what the minimum income is?

I just got my masters degree and currently only working temporarily while I look for a full time job. I just have no idea what income I will be making in the future when I do find a job.

Also, I inherited some money and oil and gas royalties as passive income when my mom died. I assume showing these would help establish to them that you are financially secure correct? I mean they will accept proof of that money as helping your case right?

Minimum income requirements to sponsor an immigrant is 125% of the povertyline when counting sponsor, sponsored immigrant and any dependents of sponsor, and any dependent immigrants immigrating with the sponsored immigrant.

Start here: http://www.uscis.gov/files/form/I-864P.pdf

The girl I have been talking to says that one of her friends got her visa rejected because the man didnt meet the minimum income requirement? Does anyone know what the minimum income is?

I just got my masters degree and currently only working temporarily while I look for a full time job. I just have no idea what income I will be making in the future when I do find a job.

Also, I inherited some money and oil and gas royalties as passive income when my mom died. I assume showing these would help establish to them that you are financially secure correct? I mean they will accept proof of that money as helping your case right?

Income is income. Assets are assets. Both count. Check out Dan's link.

2009 Guidelines

Income is income. Assets are assets. Both count. Check out Dan's link.

2009 Guidelines

Correct, however each is valued diferently.

If income falls below the povertyline, then assets worth 3 times the shortfall in income can be used to make up the difference. For example if income falls below the povertyline by $1000, then $3000 in assets will be needed.

Also asstes need to be easily converted to cash, an asset like savings is good, A home is OK as long as it is not the one you are living in, a car is an asset only if it is a second car, not your primary car.

Edited by dnoblett (see edit history)

Is he self-employed? Sometimes those who are self-employed like to show no profit and so he has to make sure he makes it clear what money has really has or makes.

Assets seems often not needed since if income satisfies the VO, then assets are moot. Assets are not as reliable in terms of providing a long term, stable source of income which is what they really want to see; Even seasonal income or a drop a year ago could give a VO some questions.