SO is greencard holder can't leave China

Issue:

My SO was denied at the Shanghai (pudong) airport when attempting to leave China due to her Green Card showing an expired date. We provided the only document available at the time showing her Green Card was extended for one year, but Chinese port authorities did not accept this.

I received the proper documents, Letter NOTICE OF REMOVAL I-797C and the ten year Green Card. I attempted to send my wife the new Green Card showing the proper expiration dates, but the Green Card did not arrive.

Stuck:

Can't apply for a new Green Card without my SO being present here in the US.

The closest consulate, Chengdu Consulate, only handles US citizen affairs and non-immigrant visas.

To add to the fire, she is currently have difficulty with her pregnancy and needs medical attention for her symptoms.

I'm attempting to get in contact with a consulate officer now, but not sure what I can do.

Any thoughts?

This is the second case I've heard of where this happened. The first thing I would try is to ask for someone higher up at the airline and explain that the extention letter is her green card until the new one arrives. (I wouldn't mention that it arrived and was lost in shipping) The next step would be to have her go to the consulate and ask for help. If they won't help her at Chengdu she will likely have to go to GZ but I would try Chengdu first. Good luck and keep us posted.

There is a consulate in Shanghai and the embassy in Beijing. Yes, they can help, if it comes to that

The letter of extension and the green card should be enough, if she can find someone to listen

If your green card has been lost or stolen, you may be able to obtain a "transportation letter" valid for one month authorizing an airline or other transportation company to transport you to the United States without penalty. To issue a transportation letter, USCIS must be satisfied that you hold legal resident status in the United States.

http://guangzhou.usembassy-china.org.cn/lo...green_cards.htm

Edited by Randy W (see edit history)
Guest Wuhan4me

Wow. the 10 year card did not arrive in China, after you sent it to her? You gots any shipping tracking info on this letter / package? If so, you will have a signature for who received it, and the address it was delivered to.

The problem, as I see it, is that an airport screener doesn't know how to read the 1 year extension document. Apparently he/she knows how to read the AP document (which of course, she doesn't have ) .

How long has she been stuck in China ? If she has her China Passport, was there a stamp in the passport in ADDITION to the letter, put in the passport when she got the 1 year extension? (I assume at an infopass appointment )

That stamp trumps the I-551 (green card ) but you'll have to convince the right person at the Airport.

Sorry for the hassle :angel:

Edited by Wuhan4me (see edit history)

Thanks for the help.

I've made a few calls and got a little further, but hit a wall when trying to get in touch w/DHS in Beijing or Guangzhou.

I have to wait until 3pm to get in touch with Chengdu.

Randy W, thanks for the info, looks like I will have to go that route "Lost and Stolen" and hope the letter can be sent to the Chengdu consulate.

UPDATE:

The good new:

the consulate did call and a nice officer helped out. My SO is going to the consulate today to fill out the paperwork and pay $165 for the processing fee.

The bad new:

This could take 14 days for my SO to see the "transportation letter", regardless of the medical emergency.

The ugly news:

If this goes beyond the 27th or take the full 14 days, my SO will have to rebook a one way flight for her and My daughter. And, my daughter's passport will also expire and will need to be extended involving more money.

Hope?

If her Green Card shows up the ugly will go away. If not, I will have to plead with Continental Airlines in hopes of extending the re booking deadline.

This is a nightmare - and very similar to what happened to JJ, however the GC "did show up" albeit 3 days late. He was able to track it all the way. Since "I THINK YOU SAID DHS - I'm hoping you meant DHL -- I strongly suggest that you link to the DHL China Website - it usually gives "very accurate" information reference the package when it's inside China. The US/Worldwide DHL is less timely.

I guess in the future we should advise all to not leave home without a current GREEN CARD in hand --- and that anything else is problematic!

Edited by 2mike&jin (see edit history)
Guest Wuhan4me

What about going up the chain of command at the airport? Everybody's got a boss, surely you can contact the right person, have them go over her 'documents in hand' ?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

talk about a roller coaster ride!!!!

To get one step forward, turn right 4 times and what do you get? The same damn place.

After getting the Dept of Homeland Security transportion letter, the airline wanted to charge $2000 per person to fly out before the expiration date of the original tickets. After a few calls to Continental (found the right person to help) I was allowed to get the return flights at normal change fee, processing fee and whatever else was thrown in at $660. No complaints from me.

We were able to extend my daughters visa in China and leave within the expiration date (30days) of the transportation letter.

leaving Shanghai and entering the US was fine with the letter, but at the 3rd and final leg of flight, my so had 20mins to get to the next gate. Not knowing it changed my SO scrambling around to find the right gate and myself calling the around to see what I can do to get the gate to stay open 2 more minutes. (No hope there) Airline said you have to wait for the next flight..... tomorrow.

Five minutes past by after my So told me they were heading to the gate... ten minutes..... fifteen minutes goes by. The plane departure time is 7:40pm and it's now.... 7:40pm and we all know the gate closes fifteen minutes before leaving.

SO calls "I'm IN the plane!!" Wahoooo!!!!!!!!!!! FINALLY THERE BACK!!!!!

The airplane door was already closed and had to open it back up to let them in. Unheard of and lucky.

Now.... we are all decompressing and thankful.

talk about a roller coaster ride!!!!

To get one step forward, turn right 4 times and what do you get? The same damn place.

After getting the Dept of Homeland Security transportion letter, the airline wanted to charge $2000 per person to fly out before the expiration date of the original tickets. After a few calls to Continental (found the right person to help) I was allowed to get the return flights at normal change fee, processing fee and whatever else was thrown in at $660. No complaints from me.

We were able to extend my daughters visa in China and leave within the expiration date (30days) of the transportation letter.

leaving Shanghai and entering the US was fine with the letter, but at the 3rd and final leg of flight, my so had 20mins to get to the next gate. Not knowing it changed my SO scrambling around to find the right gate and myself calling the around to see what I can do to get the gate to stay open 2 more minutes. (No hope there) Airline said you have to wait for the next flight..... tomorrow.

Five minutes past by after my So told me they were heading to the gate... ten minutes..... fifteen minutes goes by. The plane departure time is 7:40pm and it's now.... 7:40pm and we all know the gate closes fifteen minutes before leaving.

SO calls "I'm IN the plane!!" Wahoooo!!!!!!!!!!! FINALLY THERE BACK!!!!!

The airplane door was already closed and had to open it back up to let them in. Unheard of and lucky.

Now.... we are all decompressing and thankful.

Glad they got home safely!

On my second trip home from China I had a similar experience in Chicago, China-USA flight was delayed, and when I got to Chicago I hurried through the terminal, I was lucky my flight to Rochester was held up at the gate for a mechanical problem, I got on the plane, however my baggage got on the next flight.