AP Granted - I-512L

We received the AP approval yesterday. Received what looks to be two identical copies for some reason. Guess I can carry one around and keep one in her file at home with the rest of our documents.

There is a large section of warnings though and remembering how hard it was to get out of China it would seem travel back there would be a bad idea.

I would hope border guards in the US and customs would recognize the document and let her back into the US to continue AOS, but I doubt Chinese guards would let her out of China on an expired US visa and this document, since I doubt they even read English.

Anybody have experience traveling back to China on AP? How does it work with someone with a 2 year green card?

Yes - it's very common. You will occasionally find someone in China who doesn't know what it is - it is usually straightened out pretty easily.

You have two copies for two trips. Make copies, and hand those to the IO. If he asks to see the original, have it handy to show him, but let him keep the copy. This is usually all he needs.

Anybody have experience traveling back to China on AP? How does it work with someone with a 2 year green card?

AP is well recognized when re-entering the US... also well recognized in Canada and to some extent in HK... however, it is NOT well recognized in many areas of mainland China. We tried and it was quite scary... almost didn't get her out in time for flight. We also know several others with the same experience in different parts of China.

As you noted, just try reading the form... very confusing... even when explaining it to someone else with English as their first language - very difficult - can't be explained very well and it doesn't make much sense.

So you can imagine how difficult to explain to Chinese immigration when trying to leave China... they look for Visa or Green Card and don't understand much else.

Green Card is not a problem... well recognized whether it's 2 year or 10 year.

AP is well recognized when re-entering the US... also well recognized in Canada and to some extent in HK... however, it is NOT well recognized in many areas of mainland China. We tried and it was quite scary... almost didn't get her out in time for flight. We also know several others with the same experience in different parts of China.

As you noted, just try reading the form... very confusing... even when explaining it to someone else with English as their first language - very difficult - can't be explained very well and it doesn't make much sense.

So you can imagine how difficult to explain to Chinese immigration when trying to leave China... they look for Visa or Green Card and don't understand much else.

Green Card is not a problem... well recognized whether it's 2 year or 10 year.

Yep, I was afraid of this. AP is nice and probably is fine for travel to Canada and Mexico. It should be fine in China as well, but I remember how scrutinized she was with the US K1 visa when we tried to enter Hong Kong through Shenzhen. It should probably work, but the chances of delays and having someone there who wants to give you are hard time is probably best avoided if at all possible.

We're no planning on going to China soon and hopefully the green card is approved and arrives soon.

• 3 years later...

Hi All:

My wife received her AP (I-512L, multi entry) today and we were curious about folks' experience using it.

We're planning trips to Canada (Vancouver baby!!) and China mostly, and she may accompany me on business travel overseas. I appreciate any insights into what was your experience.

---

Also, do I understand correctly that she will not require AP anymore to return to the USA, after she receives her 2-year Green Card?

regards,

Keep in mind AP is not the same as a green card Canada and Mexico will require a visa to visit, China on the other hand should allow exit using AP doc.

Canada, Mexico, and Caribbean, allow visa free entry to green card holders.

Becides it is rare for people to use AP, green card usually is approved within 5 to 9 months after filing I-485.

AP is required for travel only to prevent I-485 from being canceled. Once have green card no AP needed to travel. However periods away from USA longer than 6 months will be questioned and longer than a year requires a re-entry permit, I-131 filed.

• 2 weeks later...

Ah, thanks so much for the information about Canada. I had no idea they required a green card for entry and am certainly glad I read this before venturing up to the Big City that is Vancouver BC. So as I now understand, the Advance Parole is more useful for return trip(s) to China since she already has passport; all other countries (including those who typically allow 90-day visits for US citizens like me) my wife will need a visa to visit then use the Advanced Parole to return to the US. Please let me know if this is true, and thanks once again!

Yes that is correct, any country that required a visa to visit will still require one.

Canada allows visit by US permanent residents without visa, your spouse is not yet a permanent resident until having a green card.

Yes AP typically is for an emergency trip back to home country while waiting for AOS to be approved.

• 2 weeks later...

You see it is typical to not need AP or EAD very long due to green card issued fairly shortly after getting EAD/AP