k3 simple questions

k-3 filing to interview is about 1 year.

the new electronic process may make it a little faster now, check the timeline thread.

Hi Pommey,

This is not true. If one goes to the timelines and does the calculations for the different Visa you will find the following.

Based on our timelines only and about the past five for each, and form CFL's timelines.

K1 visa = 6 to 8 months with K1 being fastest.

K3 visa = about 8 months

CR1 visa = 11 to 12 months with 15 months not unusual.

***These are rough calculations only*****

With electronic processing of the CR1 visa than it might be a lot faster but one has to have a lot more CR1's processed before one can say that the CR1's have become as fast as K3.

Tom and Ling

NOTE: USCIS has been approving both I-130 and I-129F in K-3 cases on the same date. And I have seen many cases where the petitioner responded to the NVC packets (I-864, and DS-230) in a timely fassion and get the CR-1 case to the consulate BEFORE K-3 interview getting the K-3 DROPPED in favor of the CR-1. A Technique that insures this is to be slow in responding to K-3 packet 3.

Well, the timelines do not suggest that right now, and If electronic processing speeds up the I-130 ,,than I would say that one should go with the I-130,,,,but all the visa's have different advantages and one should pick out the Visa that is good for them.

Until the USCIS does away with the K3,,than the K3 is good for some people.

Tom and Ling

A voice of reason, thank you, however, the USCIS cannot do away with the K3. It will take an act of congress to terminate the visa since it was created under the LIFE act of 2000. Until then, the K3 visa is still a much viable visa for individuals to obtain.

Hi samsong,

I would not want to get rid of the K3 visa anyways,,there are enough reasons to keep the K3 verses getting rid of it.... :D

And as Randy has said,,,,,dnoblett likes too sale the I-130.... :lol: :D

Tom and Ling

Yeah, I wonder what kind of 'kickbacks' Dan is receiving for selling the I-130/CR1 and discouraging K3 applicants? :P :P

............................................... :blink: :ph34r:

Tom and Ling

Guest Wuhan4me

You can currently shave time off of 'timeticks' that were recorded in the last 12 months.

For example - if you're filing at CSC - figure 1 to 2 months total from NOA-1 to NOA-2.

Regardless of the Visa Type (K-1, K-3, CR/IR-1) - the physical case file NO LONGER TRAVELS FROM NVC to GUZ, VIA DHL -it all gets into the SAFEFILE system, instead - so take away 2 to 4 months of waiting time.

If just an I-130 - the electronic processing at NVC can be done in 2 to 3 weeks.

The OP didn't say which service center he's homed to (CSC vs VSC) - so lets see what happens after he has a moment to review the thread.

Guest Wuhan4me

Busy Old Man - to anwer your P3/P4 questions...

Once the casefile is marked 'case complete' at NVC, the K-3 will be bundled up into the electronic SAFEFILE system - then GUZ picks it up electronically. That 'lag time' is about a week, and is dependent on the caseload at GUZ.

Then - once a file is opened at GUZ, expect the P3 to be sent out within a month's time - it could be faster or slower, depending on WHEN in the month the file was picked up from SAFEFILE.

Usually, a P4 is sent out within 4 to 6 weeks of GUZ receiving the P3 packet from your wife.

You can shave time off of the 'P3' process by being pro-active - you can call DOS each day, after the casefile has been picked up at GUZ, and check status. When the casefile is tagged as 'P3 sent' - then she can actually send off a seperate P3 packet (use EMS, track it) . If you have her send off her OWN set of P3 documents instead of waiting for the P3 pack to arrive from GUZ - it'll shave off anywhere from 2 to 3 weeks.

Once HER P3 forms are received at GUZ, then an interview date is scheduled.

Good Luck with the process... Let us know how it's going?

You can currently shave time off of 'timeticks' that were recorded in the last 12 months.

For example - if you're filing at CSC - figure 1 to 2 months total from NOA-1 to NOA-2.

Regardless of the Visa Type (K-1, K-3, CR/IR-1) - the physical case file NO LONGER TRAVELS FROM NVC to GUZ, VIA DHL -it all gets into the SAFEFILE system, instead - so take away 2 to 4 months of waiting time.

If just an I-130 - the electronic processing at NVC can be done in 2 to 3 weeks.

The OP didn't say which service center he's homed to (CSC vs VSC) - so lets see what happens after he has a moment to review the thread.

Hi Wuhan4me,

I agree with you here and Vermont Service center is a lot slower.

Also with petitions NO LONGER TRAVELing FROM NVC to GUZ, VIA DHL but by SAFEFILE system than we don't have any idea of how long any of the visa's will take until we have more information about all of the timelines for the visa's.

My K3 went through in about 7 months and we could have shorten that time but I asked Guangzhou to not give us a interview date until after the 15th of November and I guess they complied since our interview was on the 20th of Nov.

So the new way and with new timelines will let people decide what is the best visa to get........ :blink: :ph34r:

Tom and Ling

Guest Wuhan4me

Tom - there's been about 7 CFL members here who had their casefiles sent out via SAFEFILE, so far this year - it was a mix of K-1's, K-3's and CR-1s.

I've no idea if they've actually gotten into the CFL TimeLine Tracking System.

SAFEFILE Good, DHL Bad.

Tom - there's been about 7 CFL members here who had their casefiles sent out via SAFEFILE, so far this year - it was a mix of K-1's, K-3's and CR-1s.

I've no idea if they've actually gotten into the CFL TimeLine Tracking System.

SAFEFILE Good, DHL Bad.

Hi Wuhan4me,

I agree with you on DHL being bad, but actually DHL was good to Ling and I. If you look at our timeline the wait was not there. As one member explained...if your file comes in a package less than 3 lb. it does not sit in customs and our petition did not sit in customs. Ling actually received her P3 when I was visiting her in Sept. of 2008.

But it would be nice to either retire the old timelines as they are or start new timelines based on all visa's being sent by SAFEFILE.

Tom and Ling

retire the timelines? omg - why? naaa. don't do it...

No,,I'm not suggesting doing away with the timelines,,but what I am suggesting is to some how be able to follow the new safefile syatem and the electronic processing.

Because right now we don't know who was processed by the old way or the new way.

Tom and Ling