How to switch K3 visa to CR1

We applied both K3 and CR1 visa. We just got the interview date for K3 visa. But we also want to get CR1 visa.

Does anyone have the experience to switch to CR1 visa at (or before) K3's interview? What is the process?

We appreciate any reponse.

We applied both K3 and CR1 visa. We just got the interview date for K3 visa. But we also want to get CR1 visa.

Does anyone have the experience to switch to CR1 visa at (or before) K3's interview? What is the process?

Where is your CR-1 now? It might have some catching up to do.

Your best strategy might be to go ahead and get the K-3, and then wait for the CR-1 (making sure that they will forward it to Guangzhou), although I'm sure you could postpone the K-3 interview long enough.

Basically - you need to figure out what's going on with your CR-1.

Actually easy, keep the I-130 moving through NVC pay the fees and send the requested docs to NVC.

If and when GUZ sends out packet 3 for the K-3 simply do not respond to it and wait for the CR-1 packet and interview appointment.

Too late for that - it can be risky to cancel an interview, or abandon a petition.

The least risky path is to go ahead with the K-3 interview. You may get away with postponing the interview, but why not, at this late stage, go ahead and get the K-3?

She would have the choice of using the K-3 and adjusting status in the US, using the K-3 and going back to GUZ to interview for the CR-1, or NOT using the K-3 and waiting for the CR-1 interview.

Too late for that - it can be risky to cancel an interview, or abandon a petition.

The least risky path is to go ahead with the K-3 interview. You may get away with postponing the interview, but why not, at this late stage, go ahead and get the K-3?

She would have the choice of using the K-3 and adjusting status in the US, using the K-3 and going back to GUZ to interview for the CR-1, or NOT using the K-3 and waiting for the CR-1 interview.

Good point, yep spend the $131 and interview, when doing the medical make sure you do vaccinations too.

At this point I am waiting for case numbers for both my K3 and CR-1. I still have not decided which one to go for because it is still unclear if I will leave China this year or stay for another 1-2 year assignment.

My questions are:

1. I will need to opt-in for electronic processing on both visas and send in DS-3032 for both?

2. You pay the same fees for each one, i.e. basically pay twice?

At this point I am waiting for case numbers for both my K3 and CR-1. I still have not decided which one to go for because it is still unclear if I will leave China this year or stay for another 1-2 year assignment.

My questions are:

1. I will need to opt-in for electronic processing on both visas and send in DS-3032 for both?

You CAN'T opt in for K-3 electronic processing. Whatever processing is done, is done automatically.

K-3 and CR-1 are two separate visas - you don't have to pay for both.

What you need in the end is one visa and one green card. CR-1 is the cheapest way to get there. If you get the K-3, you may either go back for the CR-1, or adjust status in the states (this is the most expensive option).

My questions are:

You CAN'T opt in for K-3 electronic processing. Whatever processing is done, is done automatically.

What you need in the end is one visa and one green card. CR-1 is the cheapest way to get there. If you get the K-3, you may either go back for the CR-1, or adjust status in the states (this is the most expensive option).

Yea I forgot about K-3 not being totally electronic yet. I guess a better way to ask my question is how does one parallel track both visas? Dont you have to send/email paperwork for both and pay the AOS and IV fees?

My questions are:

Yea I forgot about K-3 not being totally electronic yet. I guess a better way to ask my question is how does one parallel track both visas? Dont you have to send/email paperwork for both and pay the AOS and IV fees?

Yes - just keep actively pursuing whichever (or both) visas you want

Guest Wuhan4me

What's going on with the I-130 processing? If it's stalled at NVC, you'll need to 'kick it back into play' - and that's easily done via a telephone call.

If you've not, at least, sent in the DS-3032, well, that I-130 is stalled at NVC.

But - that's not necessarily a bad thing.

IF the K-3 interview date is sometime in the next 6 weeks - I suggest YOU GO.

Then, if you get a WHITE SLIP on interview day, kick the I-130 into play at NVC, opt in for 'electronic NVC processing' and push things along. View the I-130 as a 'backup plan' if you get a white slip on the K-3 interview.

GOOD LUCK.

Guest Wuhan4me

My questions are:

Is possible to keep both in play, concurrently. (see my previous response about having a backup plan for a white slip, though). You've got to make a phone call to NVC to keep the I-130 in play, though.

There's also a whole slew of things that one needs to do at NVC for the I-130. Luckily, if yer opting in for 'electronic processing at NVC' for an I-130, you can shave off about 4 months of processing time, shipping time, and waiting time.

There's a list here on the FAQ section about 'what to do' for NVC processing for the I-130... VJ also lists and shortcuts.

But...

apparently K3 visas are sent electronically from NVC to GUZ via the SAFEFILE system - no more 'DHL sending' of petition case files - it's all electronic.

If you have a moment, review those lists, and map out the paperwork flow .

Good Luck !

One note running both is NOT double fees.

CR-1 pays $470 in fees to NVC.

K-3 pays $131 fee to GUZ. (K-3 can have the added cost of $1010 if you adjust status, OR $470 if you elect to do immigrant visa through NVC and GUZ)

IF you plan on another 2 years out of the USA, the K-3 may be a better option it has a 2 year validity, the CR-1 does not, CR-1 needs to be used within 6 months of issue, you could use it and get green-card and return to China, but the green-card is for residing in the USA, US dimicile needs to be established, and cannot remain out of the USA for long periods of time without risk of loosing the green-card.

You could interview for the K-3, and see about keeping the I-130 for CR-1 on hold at NVC, and when you do decide to come to the USA permanently, you can get the CR-1 or perhaps IR-1 visa moving through NVC and interview for the IMMIGRANT visa.

One note running both is NOT double fees.

CR-1 pays $470 in fees to NVC.

K-3 pays $131 fee to GUZ. (K-3 can have the added cost of $1010 if you adjust status, OR $470 if you elect to do immigrant visa through NVC and GUZ)

IF you plan on another 2 years out of the USA, the K-3 may be a better option it has a 2 year validity, the CR-1 does not, CR-1 needs to be used within 6 months of issue, you could use it and get green-card and return to China, but the green-card is for residing in the USA, US dimicile needs to be established, and cannot remain out of the USA for long periods of time without risk of loosing the green-card.

You could interview for the K-3, and see about keeping the I-130 for CR-1 on hold at NVC, and when you do decide to come to the USA permanently, you can get the CR-1 or perhaps IR-1 visa moving through NVC and interview for the IMMIGRANT visa.

Thanks ... this clears it up for me totally!!

Thank you, guys! Randy W, dnoblett, whome, Wuhan4me, samsong...

All of you responses are very valuable to us!

I do believe that Guangzhou has already got our CR1 documents. Our CR1 was sent from NVC to Guangzhou on Apr. 16, I checked the DHL customer service and was told all the packages they picked during that time period was delivered to Guangzhou on May 5. But so far, we have not heard anything from Guangzhou about our CR1 case at all.

As your guys suggested, we will go ahead to go for K3 visa, and not use it, and wait for CR1 processing too.

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!