Potty training methods

We just got back from a three-week trip to Shenyang to see the inlaws and to show them our one year old baby boy. An issue arose over toilet training. Apparently they start teaching the skill at around 6 months where the babies wear pants with a slit down the crotch and no diaper. At certain times of the day they hold the babies legs apart and make a hissing sound to get them to go.

Chinese houses however are more amenable to handling little messes. Most of their bathrooms for example can be hosed down. It is not possible with carpets and the wood construction that we have.

For the Chinese mothers out there that have seen the methods in China and the US, how do they compare? How long does the Chinese method normally take?

My Yu was commenting about this a few days ago, my nephew is still in diapers at nearly 3 years old, and our Chinese friend's boy at 6 months or so has been potty trained.

Perhaps the Chinese know a thing or too. I dislike changing diapers, if this can be solved within 6 months after birth, this sounds like a great thing.

I know they start teaching at an early age, but the big thing is getting them to realize they have to go before going out. The split clothes are funny to us here. I know when we were in Newark at Contintal Airlines waiting to get our flight home the lady behind the desk thought it was funny to see these clothes, but it is convenient when you take your son to the bathroom. Yan thought the lady was stupid because she didn't understand a different culture. Our son will be 4 in December and is doing well at the bathroom duties.

Maybe a little more environmentally friendly too. Think of the dirty diapers that would quickly add up over there.

However, I don't think I could deal with it. We'll probably be contributing to the landfill once we have a baby. Maybe cloth diapers?

I couldn¡¯t help laugh when I saw your post. :lol:

My wife is also from Shenyang and I remember see the same thing while I was in China. Diapers, oh well, you could imagine the land fills in China if you had everyone using disposable diapers. :o

As far as training goes, my mother taught my wife how to potty train our son. It was the same method she used on us since we use western style toilets.

First, I recommend getting a small potty for the younger ones.

I would also say get one of those Elmo Potter trainers ¨C it¡¯s a doll that teaches your kid how to potty by the use of Elmo¡¯s language. ¨C Its funny and I can¡¯t say if it works or not but we had one.

http://www.fisher-price.com/US/img/product_shots/B9126_b_1.jpg

The method my mother showed my wife was when your kid is ready to use the bigger toilet, you face him or her towards the water tank which keeps them from falling in. They straddle the seat like riding a horse and they would also use the tank top like a small desk for books or toys while they waited.

Good luck!

I was happy when I had to stop buying diapers.. B)

I'm all for early potty training, earlier the better. I don't like changing diapers that much either. But based on what I observed, there is a cost to their method, and that is cleaning up after baby.

I was hesitant to hold him or play with him for long. I was hoping to be the only one in the family not to get peed on, until I sat in an already deposited puddle. Mother inlaw at one point showed me the efficient way to wipe up a turd with the single stroke of a rag.

So there was a steady stream of soiled pants, rags, quits, chair pads, etc, to be washed each day.

The two weeks I was there they didn't seem to make much progress. Imagine several months of the above.

Many families hire nannies to do this job.

We just got back from a three-week trip to Shenyang to see the inlaws and to show them our one year old baby boy. An issue arose over toilet training. Apparently they start teaching the skill at around 6 months where the babies wear pants with a slit down the crotch and no diaper. At certain times of the day they hold the babies legs apart and make a hissing sound to get them to go.

Chinese houses however are more amenable to handling little messes. Most of their bathrooms for example can be hosed down. It is not possible with carpets and the wood construction that we have.

For the Chinese mothers out there that have seen the methods in China and the US, how do they compare? How long does the Chinese method normally take?

Well I'm not a Chinese mother, but...it was one of two significant differences I noticed when I lived in China. Kai Dan Ku (open crotch pants) can indeed facilitate the bathroom experience.

Perhaps others have noticed what I perceived as a completely different "Child Rearing" method than what one sees in a Western culture. This is a "gross oversimplification" of reality, but I observered almost no time at which a child under the age of ~ 2 is ever out of the arms or arms length of a nurturing adult. I know with the grandmothers/grandfathers helping in the rearing - it is easier...but to me it is a stark difference in our society which puts them in car seats, baby carriers, carriages, swings, and other apparatus to "pacify" them. Speaking of "pacifiers" -- how many have you seen in China?

Potty training, to me was a by product of this "bond". I.e., the care givers were really "IN TUNE" with the childs needs and functions. Anticipation of needs, timing of actions, and averting difficulties seemed to be more important than - fixing, cleaning, or punishing for behavior that was perceived to be incorrect.

I got to watch this first hand with my wifes niece, who was about 1 when I appeared on the scene in China. I often held her, when it was my turn, and did so playing mahjong on more than one occurence. By the time she was 14-16 months you could ask her if she wanted to go "xiao bian" and she would come right back with "bu yao" or "yao" as the case might be. (Of course she's now my niece - and I'm sure she is just extra clever)

Regardless, I'm convinced that this "bonding" through touch, simple guidance, and being "tuned in" to the children gives them the ability to actually "potty train" a young child - and have it at least be successful during the day. They did use diapers at night - until the child was about 12 months - and then would just get her up in the middle of the night to go....sounds simple to me!

Regardless, an interesting topic, and one that I have thought about at length and investigated some to try and understand what I perceived as a huge difference in child rearing. FYI - when I first noticed this, I spent a few minutes "googling" these subjects - i.e. early toilet training in China etc...there are websites, books, and places to buy "kai dan ku". (BTW GUYS, any mention of our wives or girlfriends, as the case may be, of wearing "kai dan ku", is usually met with the obligatory..."You are Crazy".

Hawaii Mike

Edited by 2mike&jin (see edit history)

When I was first in China, I spent a week living with a Beijing family. I spent most of my free time playing with their two daughters, reading English books to them, etc. I don't remember the exact ages, but I believe they were 10 and 4. Really sweet girls. The little one had quite a temper to her.

In any case, I woke one morning and groggily walked to the family room. Much to my surprise, Hanna (younger) was in the middle of the floor, sitting on something with her pants down. I was not quite sure what was going on until after I had woken more fully. (I am not a morning person at all.) When Hanna was done with her "business", she stood up and pulled her pants back up. The Mom quickly grabbed this pink plastic tub/bowl and went to the restroom to wash it out.

Later that week, Hanna was in the family room playing with my iPod Touch, or drawing a picture for me. Something like that, when she got up suddenly and ran to the middle of the room. She called something out, and immediately pulled down her pants. Mama wasn't home yet (it was mid-evening), so A Yi ran to the bathroom to fetch that pink tub. Hanna sat on it and a horrible smell began to permeate the room. Again, the tub was snatched away and washed immediately after use.

Both times, I was caught off guard, left feeling awkward and unaware of how I was "supposed" to act. Both times I just sat, looked the opposite direction, and fidgeted with whatever book/phone/iPod was in my hands. Amy (this family's older daughter) never seemed to even notice.

Has anyone else seen those tubs? Is that normal for young kids in Chinese culture? (I believe Hanna had grown past slit-crotch pants)

When I was first in China, I spent a week living with a Beijing family. I spent most of my free time playing with their two daughters, reading English books to them, etc. I don't remember the exact ages, but I believe they were 10 and 4. Really sweet girls. The little one had quite a temper to her.

In any case, I woke one morning and groggily walked to the family room. Much to my surprise, Hanna (younger) was in the middle of the floor, sitting on something with her pants down. I was not quite sure what was going on until after I had woken more fully. (I am not a morning person at all.) When Hanna was done with her "business", she stood up and pulled her pants back up. The Mom quickly grabbed this pink plastic tub/bowl and went to the restroom to wash it out.

Later that week, Hanna was in the family room playing with my iPod Touch, or drawing a picture for me. Something like that, when she got up suddenly and ran to the middle of the room. She called something out, and immediately pulled down her pants. Mama wasn't home yet (it was mid-evening), so A Yi ran to the bathroom to fetch that pink tub. Hanna sat on it and a horrible smell began to permeate the room. Again, the tub was snatched away and washed immediately after use.

Both times, I was caught off guard, left feeling awkward and unaware of how I was "supposed" to act. Both times I just sat, looked the opposite direction, and fidgeted with whatever book/phone/iPod was in my hands. Amy (this family's older daughter) never seemed to even notice.

Has anyone else seen those tubs? Is that normal for young kids in Chinese culture? (I believe Hanna had grown past slit-crotch pants)

One of the advantages to squatting is that it can be done anywhere. Of course, it's easier to clean up the tub than it is to clean up the floor.

At a Beijing nursery school where my wife used to work, they went to the bathroom into a small bucket. At a different one she worked at about a year later, one of the naughtier kids used to wait until his parents came to pick him up, and then take a crap on a newspaper at the gated entrance to the school.