Adopting my wife's child

Something popped into my head and I began doing some research, but all I can find is the process for adopting orphans. Does anyone know how a USC goes about adopting a child of his Chinese wife while living in China? Is this a Chinese government procedure or an American one? Both?

I'm curious because, God forbid, anything happen to Yan, then I might also lose Yangzhi without proper legal custody.

I don't know how it works in China but I think Leefisher3 can shed some light on it for you as soon as he sees this.

Lee did it with his step son in the USA after his stepson had green-card and before the boy turned 16, this got his son instant US Citizenship.

Dan, I think I remember that...my question deals strictly with me, my wife, and our son living in China and wanting to proceed with adoption if that is where life takes us. I'm wondering, is this a Chinese gov. thing ( I would imagine so), an American gov( I would imagine so if I wanted to bring him to the US) or both(just so everybody can get some of my money!)...

Dan, I think I remember that...my question deals strictly with me, my wife, and our son living in China and wanting to proceed with adoption if that is where life takes us. I'm wondering, is this a Chinese gov. thing ( I would imagine so), an American gov( I would imagine so if I wanted to bring him to the US) or both(just so everybody can get some of my money!)...

There is a process for a step parent adoption in China, as in the US the worst of the annoying adoption requirements are waived. Have your wife check with an attorney in China.

There is a process for a step parent adoption in China, as in the US the worst of the annoying adoption requirements are waived. Have your wife check with an attorney in China.

Thank you, Lee! :worthy: