China Post

In planning for my move, I was wondering about letters going back and forth and language requirements.

Do all China Post employees read English?

Is is a requirement that all letters have both English and Chinese characters ?

What are the chances I will actually receive my mail in Chengdu if it is only addresses in English?

I'm not talking about packages via Fedex or UPS..Just letters using normal snail mail. My Dad doesn't use a computer and he wouldn't pay for internet if he did. And yes, he is too cheap to pick up the phone and call. :cheering:

In planning for my move, I was wondering about letters going back and forth and language requirements.

Do all China Post employees read English?

Is is a requirement that all letters have both English and Chinese characters ?

What are the chances I will actually receive my mail in Chengdu if it is only addresses in English?

I'm not talking about packages via Fedex or UPS..Just letters using normal snail mail. My Dad doesn't use a computer and he wouldn't pay for internet if he did. And yes, he is too cheap to pick up the phone and call. :cheering:

No - of course not. Use Chinese characters and pinyin if you want to be sure it gets there.

All that is needed using the western alphabet is "China" - the rest should use the Chinese characters. Pinyin is optional

Fedex and UPS would be the same.

You might have some labels printed up ahead of time for him.

IME, if it goes to a business address, then there's a better chance to 'be received' if it's ALL in English characters (no, not pinyin).

Otherwise, try the 'stack o labels' approach with your father.

Let him fill out any carrier forms in English - but then stick the labels on the outside of the box / letter..

IME, if it goes to a business address, then there's a better chance to 'be received' if it's ALL in English characters (no, not pinyin).

Otherwise, try the 'stack o labels' approach with your father.

Let him fill out any carrier forms in English - but then stick the labels on the outside of the box / letter..

What are you meaning by English, not pinyin? How would you address something to Inner Mongolia, for example? Do you mean without the tone marks?

(pinyin: N¨¨i M¨§ngg¨³; officially romanized to Nei Mongol, according to Wikipedia)