Turn it up please...

Guest ShaQuaNew

Guest ShaQuaNew

Here's a little something strange I've been noticing lately:

My wife really enjoys watching the Chinese news in the morning. We have both a Western Satellite feed out of the Philippines, and the ordinary CCTV feed, which enables us to switch back and forth between Chinese and English TV.

I am by no means proficient or even close to conversational in Mandarin, but I can usually get an idea of what people are talking about. I still miss most of the conversation though. When my wife watches the Chinese news, I like to watch along with her. She gets a little annoyed with me interrupting her watching with me constantly asking, "What did they say about this? What did they say about that?" "Wait a minute," she replies.

So, I ask her to turn it up so I can hear it better. I do this unconsciously, only to realize that turning it up doesn't help me understand it any better at all.

My wife really enjoys watching the Chinese news in the morning. We have both a Western Satellite feed out of the Philippines, and the ordinary CCTV feed, which enables us to switch back and forth between Chinese and English TV.

I am by no means proficient or even close to conversational in Mandarin, but I can usually get an idea of what people are talking about. I still miss most of the conversation though. When my wife watches the Chinese news, I like to watch along with her. She gets a little annoyed with me interrupting her watching with me constantly asking, "What did they say about this? What did they say about that?" "Wait a minute," she replies.

So, I ask her to turn it up so I can hear it better. I do this unconsciously, only to realize that turning it up doesn't help me understand it any better at all.

We must have the same wife? :cheering:

The only time i get to watch U.S. tv is on the weekends. NASCAR!!!

We have Direct TV with the China package.

We watch CCTV 4 a lot.

Though i like this channel and it helps me learn Chinese better.

The best part about CCTV 4 is the world news is great!!!

If ya want to know whats really going on in the world and in the U.S. this is the Channel to watch.

Plus the Chinese soaps are GREAT!!! OPs!!! did i say that out load?? :lol:

Guest ShaQuaNew

We must have the same wife? :huh:

The only time i get to watch U.S. tv is on the weekends. NASCAR!!!

We have Direct TV with the China package.

We watch CCTV 4 a lot.

Though i like this channel and it helps me learn Chinese better.

The best part about CCTV 4 is the world news is great!!!

If ya want to know whats really going on in the world and in the U.S. this is the Channel to watch.

Plus the Chinese soaps are GREAT!!! OPs!!! did i say that out load?? :o

And how about the Monkey fighter?

She gets a little annoyed with me interrupting her watching with me constantly asking, "What did they say about this? What did they say about that?" "Wait a minute," she replies.

that's exactly our situation for english tv and movie viewing. only it's her constantly saying "fa sheng shenme? ta men shuo shenme? shenme yisi?!?" :P and it's usually at the most critical and interesting point of the broadcast or movie when she asks for a synopsis :huh: "Deng yixia!" :o