Getting by the Great Firewall...

Guest ShaQuaNew

Guest ShaQuaNew

I guess it's about time to put away with fussing with onion routers and free internet proxies. I recently learned about a service called WiTopia. The company provides a VPN connection that enables users in China to appear as if they were coming from the US. It's great so far. I can now bypass all the blocking, and get straight to youtube, and everything else that gets blocked. The price is actually quite reasonable, at 39.99 per year. You can view more about it here:

http://www.witopia.net/welcome.php

See note below about Witopia and Astrill - edit 2023 Randy W

Edited by Randy W (see edit history)

I guess it's about time to put away with fussing with onion routers and free internet proxies. I recently learned about a service called WiTopia. The company provides a VPN connection that enables users in China to appear as if they were coming from the US. It's great so far. I can now bypass all the blocking, and get straight to youtube, and everything else that gets blocked. The price is actually quite reasonable, at 39.99 per year. You can view more about it here:

http://www.witopia.net/welcome.php

Priced even more reasonably are the dozens of free proxy services. :)

Guest ShaQuaNew

Wouldn't it be a hoot to find out it is actually a government company who wants to track antisocial (nonconforming) people? :D

It's okay. They pegged me with that label a long time ago.

:)

I've tried the free services Bill, they are hit and miss and yes, you can get by most of the time. The few I've been using are very slow, and unreliable. This service is fast, clean and efficient.

• 12 years later...

Witopia gave up on the Chinese market around 8 years ago (about 5 years after this thread was posted).

Their use of OpenVPN protocol with default ports, along with their servers identified in an ASCII text file, made them VERY easy prey for the Great Firewall logic.

• 9 months later...

So Randy, Howdy from Changzhou.  I hate to ask you for help, but....Now that I am here, I can't pull up my local county tax websites well enough to pay property tax on-line.  Every bank card and utility or anything can tell I am not in the USA, and it is making transactions more time consuming.  I've read through here and tried several VPN links of yours just to get a notice that the page won't open.  I don't seem to be able to open a website that will sell a VPN.  I guess I should have done this in the USA before the trip, but my life was sleepless before leaving as it was.  Any suggestions as to which are the better VPNs today, and how do we get to them once we are in China?  Maybe I have to buy a Chinese VPN just to get to one you might recommend.  I'm lost when you IT guys talk about different ports and files & etc. on each VPN, but I guess I'll figure it out.  My companies VPN is fine, but I don't use it for personal stuff anymore.