Question about notices and rescheduling for citizenship process?

So we finally sent in out N-400 package last week. As it is early June, we are hoping the process will be completed towards the end of the year.

I am wondering if anyone can give me insight on what to expect regarding notices. The reason I ask is that we have some plans throughout the year which may mean we are out of town (and away from checking our mail) for a couple weeks at a time. This makes me a little nervous.

My understanding is that we have 3 major schedules. The biometrics appointment (which should happen within the next month or two). And then we have the examination. And then the swearing. Is that it? And do they send out notices well in advance for these things?

Also, if our trip lies in the middle of the exam or swearing, is it a big deal to reschedule?

My hope is that, a.) they will give us notice well in advance so that we don't get the notice while we are away and find out we already missed the actual appointment by the time we got back! and b.) that in the event that we are unable to make an appointment, that it is relatively painless to reschedule.

For those that have gone through the process, what are your experiences?

Thank you very much!

So we finally sent in out N-400 package last week. As it is early June, we are hoping the process will be completed towards the end of the year.

I am wondering if anyone can give me insight on what to expect regarding notices. The reason I ask is that we have some plans throughout the year which may mean we are out of town (and away from checking our mail) for a couple weeks at a time. This makes me a little nervous.

My understanding is that we have 3 major schedules. The biometrics appointment (which should happen within the next month or two). And then we have the examination. And then the swearing. Is that it? And do they send out notices well in advance for these things?

Also, if our trip lies in the middle of the exam or swearing, is it a big deal to reschedule?

My hope is that, a.) they will give us notice well in advance so that we don't get the notice while we are away and find out we already missed the actual appointment by the time we got back! and b.) that in the event that we are unable to make an appointment, that it is relatively painless to reschedule.

For those that have gone through the process, what are your experiences?

Thank you very much!

Be expecting a I-797C letter of acceptance in two weeks from mailing the N-400 and then two more weeks be expecting the a I-797C for biometrics.

The interview date could be anywhere from six months to a year. After the interview you'll receive a letter in about a month giving time and date for the ceremony. That's how it went for me and my wife.

Rescheduling I dont think will be too bad but try to avoid it if you can. No sense in muddying up the water!

Good luck.

Be expecting a I-797C letter of acceptance in two weeks from mailing the N-400 and then two more weeks be expecting the a I-797C for biometrics.

The interview date could be anywhere from six months to a year. After the interview you'll receive a letter in about a month giving time and date for the ceremony. That's how it went for me and my wife.

Rescheduling I dont think will be too bad but try to avoid it if you can. No sense in muddying up the water!

Good luck.

We just got the letter of acceptance. That was pretty quick! We will be on the lookout for the biometrics. If the interview is in 6 months, we should be ok. Right around the 4-5 month mark is when we are most likely to be away and have to reschedule, which I admit would muddy up the waters!

Good luck.

We just got the letter of acceptance. That was pretty quick! We will be on the lookout for the biometrics. If the interview is in 6 months, we should be ok. Right around the 4-5 month mark is when we are most likely to be away and have to reschedule, which I admit would muddy up the waters!

Make sure that when you go for biometrics that they do it right the first time. The guy who did Ying's the first time did it so fast (it might have close to his lunch time) and so badly that we had to go back and do it again. Thankfully the next person took her time and made sure she had good fingerprints.

Just an update, Ying has applied for her passport and we are anticipating an end once and for all of the proccess

The biometrics notice comes pretty fast. Our NOA for filing the N-400 came about two weeks after filing and the biometric appointment came two days later. The Appointment was for two weeks after that. The time frame for the citizenship test and interview varies depending on which district office you use. Ours was five months after filing. The swearing in ceremony also differs. Here in Portland if your interview is in the morning you can have the swearing in ceremony that afternoon. If it is in the afternoon you can have it the next day. You should be able to find a link you your district office and find out how they do it.

Make sure that when you go for biometrics that they do it right the first time. The guy who did Ying's the first time did it so fast (it might have close to his lunch time) and so badly that we had to go back and do it again. Thankfully the next person took her time and made sure she had good fingerprints.

Just an update, Ying has applied for her passport and we are anticipating an end once and for all of the proccess

Congrats on nearly ending the process! Must feel great. :)

The biometrics notice comes pretty fast. Our NOA for filing the N-400 came about two weeks after filing and the biometric appointment came two days later. The Appointment was for two weeks after that. The time frame for the citizenship test and interview varies depending on which district office you use. Ours was five months after filing. The swearing in ceremony also differs. Here in Portland if your interview is in the morning you can have the swearing in ceremony that afternoon. If it is in the afternoon you can have it the next day. You should be able to find a link you your district office and find out how they do it.

Thanks! Great to see a Portland example (which is where we live as well) so we may have a similar timeline. Got our first NOA very fast (less than a week after they received the package). But still waiting for the biometrics letter.

I don't know the timeline of the Portland office. We are in the Dallas area and ours went very quickly. Check out our timeline. We mailed in the N-400 at the end of March and had the citizenship interview today. Only three months between mailing in day and interview.

• 2 weeks later...