The Flight and Arrival

My fiancee and daughter have never been on an international flight. Can anyone give me some information on what they should expect when boarding thier flight? Also what they will go through when they arrive in the US? Any info will be greatly appreciated.

Auggie and Lancy

• At the international airport up leaving China they will need to show passport and visas.
  • On the flight over they need to make sure that they each fill out an I-94 card that will be passed out during the flight over, they also will need to fill out a custom's declarations form, personal belongings do not need to be declared.
  • Upon arrival they will need to line up in the Immigrants and Visitors line at the POE, they will be fingerprinted, and the BROWN immigrations envelope is turned over there.
  • After clearing Immigrations, they will then collect their checked bags and go through customs where they may be inspected, x-rayed, and they turn in the customs declaration form.
  • After clearing customs, they will then re-check the baggage for their domestic flight.

Note: carry medical x-ray in carry on along with the brown envelope, the POE may want to see the x-ray, this is rare but has been reported.

Pretty much the same when you traveled, only with the added item of the I-94 cards.

Edited by dnoblett (see edit history)

Guest ShaQuaNew

I think tea is no problem, I have brought back so much tea, and received tea many times from people returning from China.

I recall bringing back some large ziplock bags full of green tea several years ago. There is no doubt that it looked like pot, and caught the eye of the customs inspectors. While they were looking at it, I said: "I brought back some green tea. It's not all the tea in China though." I don't think they thought it too funny, but didn't give me a problem with it.

Any unsealed food stuff is subject to confiscation.

Several years ago, Fei brought back a lot of her favorite Hunan 'snacks' (a carry-on bag full) Customs was not amused...

Her point: 'Sorry I thought these were just snacks, not food...' Still not amused. All of her unsealed food was confiscated, with a warning not to do it again, although all the sealed food was permitted. ...and do think her info. was logged into the Customs computer...

Any unsealed food stuff is subject to confiscation.

Several years ago, Fei brought back a lot of her favorite Hunan 'snacks' (a carry-on bag full) Customs was not amused...

Her point: 'Sorry I thought these were just snacks, not food...' Still not amused. All of her unsealed food was confiscated, with a warning not to do it again, although all the sealed food was permitted. ...and do think her info. was logged into the Customs computer...

Don't put it in the carry on ... put it in the checked baggage and it will be fine ... as long as you don't bring like 50 lbs of the stuff ...

I think tea is no problem, I have brought back so much tea, and received tea many times from people returning from China.

I recall bringing back some large ziplock bags full of green tea several years ago. There is no doubt that it looked like pot, and caught the eye of the customs inspectors. While they were looking at it, I said: "I brought back some green tea. It's not all the tea in China though." I don't think they thought it too funny, but didn't give me a problem with it.

my wife brought a huge bag full of peanuts from her parents' house (her family makes cooking oil, so eating them reminds her of home). when coming through customs and immigration, i had marked on our form that we had brought peanuts and spices in our checked luggage. the officer said, "but they're not fresh, right?" before i had a chance to respond, my wife said "no, they're not fresh." i said yes, they are fresh! but the officer paid no attention to me, as he was already on to the next person's luggage.

my wife then argued with me (she assumed they meant "fresh" as in ÐÂÏÊ), claiming they weren't fresh because they were already several weeks old.