China may buy Volvo

Guest Tony n Terrific

Guest Tony n Terrific

Beijing Automotive would be one of three or four companies that have expressed interested in Volvo. It's unclear how interested Beijing Automotive is in Volvo, the source said.

Dearborn, Mich.-based Ford said last year that it wants to sell the unit so that it can focus its efforts on three core brands: Ford, Lincoln and Mercury. Ford acquired Volvo in 1999 for $6.45 billion from Volvo AB.

http://money.aol.com/article/ford-may-sell...-chinese/522440

Renault automobiles are like a septic tank at best they don't work.

Ya - that's the view of the cars that were sold into the USA, back in the '70s .

Thankfully, they have made vast improvements.

Anything past '99 is actually pretty darn good. But you can't buy it stateside from a dealer. their TDI (Turbo Diesel Engine) is actually pretty good, but I wouldn't want to see it in a Volvo Vehicle - I'd be sad.

You CAN import almost any Renault vehicle from The Benelux, though.. It's cool to do - have LHD, and if you choose a vehicle from 99 or later - it has the EU emissions standards (so passes emissions testing, even in California) and the EU Safety Standards (which is harsher than any state in the CONUS) ... If you were in Europe this century, you might have had a chance to RENT ONE whilst you were visiting. I have, I like them much - that's just me... I also owned one in Singapore - but that's another story - albeit sans septic tank.

But I digress. .

I'd prefer Renault to purchase Volvo instead of any China entity... It's just a personal preference, and Renault has the cash and lines of credit to make it happen. I'm a diehard Volvo Fan - I had rigors when Ford bought it --the S80 design reminded me too much of the frickin Ford Taurus - but I'd have even greater Rigors if some China entity owned it. F*CK all on the technology transfer.

Edited by Sebastian (see edit history)