Badminton

Guest ShaQuaNew

Guest ShaQuaNew

Yesterday, I attended yet another team building excursion, with one of our many software development teams. Before the event, they circulated a voting email, for everyone to vote from a list of things to do. On the list was:

1. Movie and Dinner

2. Badminton and Dinner

3. Combination of Badminton, Squash, Dinner

The voting concluded with item number 3. So, we all met at the Olympic center here in Nanjing to play. I have played a fair amount of badminton with my wife, who used to play competitively in College, so I felt like I was getting pretty good.

When I arrived, I started warming up with badminton with one of my teammates. First, let me say that they do NOT use air conditioning on badminton courts. Seems most players believe the moving air affects play. So, it's hot as hell in there, and no moving air. Okay, I can handle the sweating for a few hours.

If you watched any of the badminton events during the Olympics, you noticed that the game is very fast and often brutal. Also, it's one of the more popular sports in China, so pretty much everyone can play the game.

So, "dink," over the net the bird goes toward me. I easily retrieved it and smacked it right back at him. Then, the teasing started. If I moved toward the net, he shot and unreachable shot over my head. If I waited in the middle toward the back, he would either shoot directly at my face, or do a dink shot just barely over the net to the right, or to the left.

In short, I ran my ass off. These guys are good, awesome really. I got my just reward by thumping 'em in Squash though. Course, I can't move today, as my muscles are too sore.

:)

Guest jin979

Yesterday, I attended yet another team building excursion, with one of our many software development teams. Before the event, they circulated a voting email, for everyone to vote from a list of things to do. On the list was:

1. Movie and Dinner

2. Badminton and Dinner

The voting concluded with item number 3. So, we all met at the Olympic center here in Nanjing to play. I have played a fair amount of badminton with my wife, who used to play competitively in College, so I felt like I was getting pretty good.

When I arrived, I started warming up with badminton with one of my teammates. First, let me say that they do NOT use air conditioning on badminton courts. Seems most players believe the moving air affects play. So, it's hot as hell in there, and no moving air. Okay, I can handle the sweating for a few hours.

If you watched any of the badminton events during the Olympics, you noticed that the game is very fast and often brutal. Also, it's one of the more popular sports in China, so pretty much everyone can play the game.

So, "dink," over the net the bird goes toward me. I easily retrieved it and smacked it right back at him. Then, the teasing started. If I moved toward the net, he shot and unreachable shot over my head. If I waited in the middle toward the back, he would either shoot directly at my face, or do a dink shot just barely over the net to the right, or to the left.

In short, I ran my ass off. These guys are good, awesome really. I got my just reward by thumping 'em in Squash though. Course, I can't move today, as my muscles are too sore.

:)

seems like you are enjoying life very much :D

Guest ShaQuaNew

1. Movie and Dinner

2. Badminton and Dinner

:D

seems like you are enjoying life very much ;)

Yes, I am for the most part, but there is no doubt that it's a huge adjustment that goes through its various stages.