Chengdu Bus Fire...

Guest ShaQuaNew

Guest ShaQuaNew

Just saw this story. Tragic...

:)

Toll rises to 25 in southwest China bus fire

BEIJING ¨C A fire aboard a public bus killed 25 people and left dozens hospitalized Friday morning in southwestern China, state media reported.

The cause of the blaze in Chengdu, the capital of Sichuan province, remained under investigation, according to a report on a Web site run by the provincial government's propaganda department.

Photos posted on blogs and Internet forums showed the bus consumed by flames. One badly burned woman was shown lying on the road with a man standing over her, his clothes burned off.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090605/ap_on_..._china_bus_fire

Edited by ShaQuaNew (see edit history)

We learned today that there were a total of 120 people on this local transit bus. Incident occurred just outside the 3rd Ring Road, NNE of the city. This is an area of lesser density, can't imagine what it would have been like if it had happened downtown. Some friends said the news reported it was fully involved in minutes.

Guest ShaQuaNew

So Bill are you in Chengdu now? If so, was this story reported objectively, and in a timely manner?

I've been on crowded buses and the Shanghai underground at rush hour, but how do you squeeze in 120 on a metro bus? Wow!

I agree, that's a bunch, but not hard to imagine:

http://i40.tinypic.com/6i40v8.jpg

So Bill are you in Chengdu now? If so, was this story reported objectively, and in a timely manner?

I've been living here since March 7 of last year. I thought the reporting was very objective and the first news I saw was when I turned on the tube around dinnertime on the day of the accident. There has been continuous coverage, albeit repeating earlier broadcasts, since then. The initial video was tagged as a cell phone clip. Some of the "filler" has been information about what to do in the event of a fire onboard, including explaining use of the fire extinguishers and special glass-breaking hammers. All the buses I've ever ridden have had six of these hammers mounted next to the windows, three on each side. Even though the news report above stated the bus was "sealed", we all know how the Chinese love fresh air..... every a/c bus I've been on has always had some small windows and they are always open.

Guest ShaQuaNew

BTW SQN, Great bus picture! Did you take it? Lots of personality there! Love the kid & mother....

I wish I had taken it, but no, I did not. I hope to get a better camera soon with a long lens to be able to capture a shot like that.