Guest ShaQuaNew

Just got our interview date 29 June at 7:30. Whats the best place to stay in GUZ?

Congratulations on getting your interview date. I've never actually been to Guangzhou, but I've heard there is a nice hotel only a few blocks from the Consulate. Just depends on your priorities, whether they be convenience or price. The further you get from the Consulate, the better the prices will be, and the more you will get for your money. I always prefer not to stay in the hotels frequented by Westerners, as they usually charge more than double what you would pay anywhere else. Of course, you may want to take this opportunity to hang out with some of them while you're here.

Just got our interview date 29 June at 7:30. Whats the best place to stay in GUZ?

Peter Congrats, but GUZ, not HK? OMG. Well 2nd time's a charm.

You asked where the best place is to say - remember you didn't say cheapest. For my money - it's the Westin. Virtually walk around the corner to the Consulate. You will not need a taxi or much lead time to get their. McDonalds is also just across the intersection - should you want. Starbucks is about a block and half away...but it's a nice walk. We had a suite - I think they charged us ~ $225 USD a night. I double checked when I made the reservation to ensure I could leave early if needed. As long as they don't have a big "event" it's no problem. We left 1 day early and not a whisper of an issue. If you stay in the suites they will direct you to the upper floor private breakfast. Don't go, use the lobby regular one...the foods fresher and a wider variety. It's all included in the price. I think I made the reservations via a chinese website but don't really remember...Just call the Westin...since you are here. There are other cheaper places, but not nicer!

Mike - Best of Luck, Keep us posted, and we'll all welcome Xue when she arrives in ALoha Land!

PS. Jin just told me to remind you that there is a great Italian Resturant in the Hotel. Jin loved it.

Edited by 2mike&jin (see edit history)

looks like electronic filing is the way to go wow I can't believe the crazy process with customs clearence when the age of the internet is established. good luck I'm very jealous

If we would have be slower in sending our documents in I think we could have been done earlier. We sent everything in by the first 5 days. They keep sending letters asking for things two weeks after we had sent everything in. I think sending it a little at a time is better for their review process. We missed sending the GUZ supplemental form (that cost a week) and for some reason they wouldn't settle for just the original birth and police certificates with the translated page. We had to send in every page of the translated copies (white books) that cost another week. I noticed that they have a company called Serco doing the document review work. Some of the letters were dated on weekends.

Hi, One of the few things I enjoyed while we were in Guangzhou was the hotel we stayed at the last 2 days. It is called the CAN BEYOND BUSSINESS HOTEL, 160 Tianhezhijie Tianhebei Road, ( South of Times Square ) Tianhe District, Guangzhou, telephone: (86-20) 3891 3222. English at the front desk is limited so have your wife or fiancee call or make reservations on line (I saw it on eLong.com originally). They do accept American Visa or Mastercards. It is located about 100 yards off the main road in the alley between the Bostan Hotel and Times Square. It was a quick 8 RMB taxi ride to the U.S. Consulate, although I did walk there and back 2 or 3 times (about 20 minutes each way). We stayed in a Deluxe Business Double room, which was a large 40 square meters in size. It was clean, had 2 queen size beds (you can get a king size bed if you like), a large probably 4ft by 8ft shower, air conditioning that worked flawless, a refrigerator, and a computer in the room. All of this for 298 RMB per night which included 2 breakfast coupons per day. The breakfast was not to my liking but my fiancee and her son liked it. If you walk out to the main road and turn left. Walk past the stinky river to the corner, there is a hotel with a restaurant on the top floor (3rd I believe). It is located right at the corner and has 2 large concrete lions guarding the steps at the entrance. The food was very good, reasonably priced and it was one of the few places I could get a fork or read a menu. I do recommend this hotel and I recommend you steer clear of the Peng An Hotel located near the East Train Station. Good luck! Jeff

Is the same time for everyone to show up at the door (7:30am). I'm planning to attend the ACH on 6/22 and return on 6/28 for the interview next day. Don't know yet where we are staying.

Hi, The first 2 or 3 lines from the left are for the 7:15AM appointments the next 2 or 3 toward the right are for 7:30AM appointments. If you have a 7:30AM appointment I would get in the 4th line from the left (looking at the front of the building), you'll be good there. Good luck! Jeff

Is the same time for everyone to show up at the door (7:30am). I'm planning to attend the ACH on 6/22 and return on 6/28 for the interview next day. Don't know yet where we are staying.

Hi, The first 2 or 3 lines from the left are for the 7:15AM appointments the next 2 or 3 toward the right are for 7:30AM appointments. If you have a 7:30AM appointment I would get in the 4th line from the left (looking at the front of the building), you'll be good there. Good luck! Jeff

Thanks! very good info.