GM deals Hummer to Chinese buyer

Guest Tony n Terrific

Guest ShaQuaNew

China's Sichuan Tengzhong Heavy Industrial Machinery says it has no plans to make General Motors' Hummer vehicles in China.

Rather than setting up a plant in China, Tengzhong will use the current facilities including their employees in the United States. In the Hummer deal, Tengzhong plans to retain its management, operational team and 3,000 of its employees, Xinhua said. The company also will assume existing Hummer dealer agreements.

That might be until the current contracts with the labor unions expire in a few years. After that, who knows?

They are buying the brand, but not buying the factory. It will continue to be owned by GM and GM will make the Hummer under contract for them, if I read the article correctly. Just speculation, but I would see them transferring all the technology to their plants in China. Then if the American Hummer doesn't show a profit for them, they can quickly start making them in China or just absorb the technology into their own line of products. If they don't own the plant here in America, they can drop it like a hot rock!

I checked one out up close when I was there...not bad...a bit flimsy..the brush guard on the front wouldn't do to guard against anything.

I have no idea about reliability, etc.

It was funny watching the driver try to drive like he was in a tiny car...He just couldn't fit anywhere he wanted to go!

Guest ShaQuaNew

It appears there were a few people that freaked out when they heard China was buying Hummer. Seems they thought they were selling the military manufacturing facility.

Army: Military Versions of Hummer Exlcuded from GM Sale

Officials said some people called the Pentagon, Capitol Hill and AM General LLC, the company that makes the military vehicles, asking if the rights to the Humvee had been sold to the Chinese.

The U.S. Army is assuring people that General Motors' deal to sell its Hummer brand to a Chinese company has nothing to do with the military version of the rugged vehicle.

Officials said some people called the Pentagon, Capitol Hill and AM General LLC, the company that makes the military vehicles, asking if the rights to the Humvee had been sold to the Chinese.

Steve Clawson, spokesman for the South Bend, Ind.-based AM General, said the military and civilian programs are separate.

"GM's proposed sale of the civilian Hummer brand would have no impact on the military Humvee program," he said.

The Army's news service posted a story to clarify the situation on its Web site Wednesday, a day after news of the sale was announced.

"We really wanted to clarify in the minds of our own soldiers as well as the general public what was happening, just so we were clear on the difference," said Lt. Col. Martin Downie, an Army spokesman.

Staffers at the House Armed Services Committee contacted the Army after hearing the sale news and were reassured that the military vehicles would not be affected, said Josh Holly, spokesman for the committee.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2009/06/04...lcuded-gm-sale/

Edited by ShaQuaNew (see edit history)
Guest Tony n Terrific

The armored limo-car builder O'Gara-Hess & Eisenhart of Fairfield, Ohio also has much of the design of the military Humvee. This tech ain't going to the Chinese.

Guest ShaQuaNew

The armored limo-car builder O'Gara-Hess & Eisenhart of Fairfield, Ohio also has much of the design of the military Humvee. This tech ain't going to the Chinese.

Yes, of course not. Just a few silly people freaking out about the sale is all. Now, in a few years after the contracts expire in 2012, many of those working on Hummers in the US, may well lose their jobs.

Guest Tony n Terrific

Hummer gone and now today GM announce that it has sold Saturn to Penske auto group. Salami slicing time for Goliath. I wonder who will get Pontiac?

Guest Tony n Terrific

The venerble Pontasaraus? It died...poof!...gone!!!

Just like Oldsmobile...

In my day at the digs and street races Pontiacs where called

Poncho-s.

Who knows a little bit of Hudspeth and some innovation this brand could be reborn. Look what DeLorean did for Pontiac. He took the light weight Tempest dropped a 389 in it with 3 dueces put oversized brakes and the F-41 suspension, US Royal sold him red stripped tires and called them Tiger Paws, He then borrowed from Ferrari Italian names Gran Turismo Omologato or GTO and boom the muscle car era was born. GM top mangement never knew anything about this car. This is when GM divisions where basically autonomous. DeLorean hoped to maybe sell 3-4 thousand he sold over 30 thousand the 1st year.

You can trace the decline of GM when they elimnated the autonomy from the divisons and formed GMAD (General Motors Assembly Divison) with offering nothing more then warmed over supper to produce cookie cutter cars with low quality loaded with tinsel and baloney and when the Accountants got a firm grip on GM product developement and innovation. Their abhorrence to innovation sparked a brain drain from GM. The up and comers split and spawned a whole lot of Davids with slingshots that split the Giants head open on June 1, 2009.

Edited by Tony n Terrific (see edit history)