Timothy Geithner

Guest ShaQuaNew

Guest ShaQuaNew

I posted this in another thread, but I thought this news story from Reuters important enough for a topic of its own.

Clearly, these students are much smarter than what he thought. It's almost comical to assume they would respond like silly sheep. These students are a lot more vocal than he remembers, and more inclined to say Bravo Sierra when a snake-oil salesman is in their midst.

U.S. Treasury Secretary Timothy Geithner on Monday reassured the Chinese government that its huge holdings of dollar assets are safe and reaffirmed his faith in a strong U.S. currency.

A major goal of Geithner¡¯s maiden visit to China as Treasury chief is to allay concerns that Washington¡¯s bulging budget deficit and ultra-loose monetary policy will fan inflation, undermining both the dollar and U.S. bonds.

China is the biggest foreign owner of U.S. Treasury bonds. U.S. data shows that it held $768 billion in Treasuries as of March, but some analysts believe China¡¯s total U.S. dollar-denominated investments could be twice as high.

¡°Chinese assets are very safe,¡± Geithner said in response to a question after a speech at Peking University, where he studied Chinese as a student in the 1980s.

His answer drew loud laughter from his student audience, reflecting scepticism in China about the wisdom of a developing country accumulating a vast stockpile of foreign reserves instead of spending the money to raise living standards at home.

Edited by ShaQuaNew (see edit history)

Wow - the NPR radio folk are referring to him as Tim 'the toolman' Geithner. hmmmm Did I miss it? Was this his first trip out of country?

Guest ShaQuaNew

I saw that and thought almost the same thing. It would be funny if it weren't so sad.

The Chinese seem to be quite proud of where they stand right now.

Maybe their spin of the news is different than our spin we see here in the states.

yes..our spin says everything is ok...ignore the person behind the green curtain...their spin says ... hey..how can you print your way out of recession ... pretty simple even for stupid chinese students to understand...but complicated for many smart americans

Guest ShaQuaNew

Maybe their spin of the news is different than our spin we see here in the states.

yes..our spin says everything is ok...ignore the person behind the green curtain...their spin says ... hey..how can you print your way out of recession ... pretty simple even for stupid chinese students to understand...but complicated for many smart americans

If you play the tape of the students laughing at him backwards, do we get our money back?

Guest ShaQuaNew

If you play the tape of the students laughing at him backwards, do we get our money back?

As embarrassing as this was for him, and the US, there was hardly a peep in China about it. That's in contrast to the endless loops you'd be seeing in the West had something like this happened to a Chinese speaker.

Guest jin979

lets stay away from bashing USA. we all know USA is in big troubles now and may never be the thing it once was. but better not start argument with other members on china this USA that. please

Guest ShaQuaNew

lets stay away from bashing USA. we all know USA is in big troubles now and may never be the thing it once was. but better not start argument with other members on china this USA that. please

I love the USA. I know the people that make it up are far too tough to let an overtaxing and overspending problem beat them. Thank God, that it's never been Washington that's defined America, but rather the American people themselves.

I love the USA. I know the people that make it up are far too tough to let an overtaxing and overspending problem beat them. Thank God, that it's never been Washington that's defined America, but rather the American people themselves.

got Glock?

Guest ShaQuaNew

got Glock?

No glock, but plenty of Glam and Flam.

:)

China Daily reported on his talks...this is just one of many articles. Also a whole special section on China Daily entitled US-China officals with profiles of all officals with strong ties to China.

It reported that the students asked strong questions and did not seem to be overly convinced by his answers...it did not report that they laughed at him.

http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/china/2009-06...t_7964248_2.htm