Another Tragic Coal Mining Accident

Guest Tony n Terrific

Guest Tony n Terrific

Twenty-five miners were killed and 20 trapped by a gas explosion at a coal mine in southwest China on Saturday, state media reported.

The accident occurred at 11:00 am (0300 GMT) when 131 miners were working underground at the Tonghua Coal Mine in Anwen town, Chongqing municipality, but 86 escaped, Xinhua news agency said, citing local officials.

I hope no one had relatives working in this mine. Over 3,000 Chinese People are killed each year in mining accidents. Possibly more since many mining deaths are covered up.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20090530/ts_af..._20090530141333

America should do something about the deadly coal mines here too.

China has the deadliest coal mines in the world.

There's accidents every year, sometimes with very high casualties.

Sounds like the US in the last century.

All of which have nothing to do with the original post.

Guess you missed the last part of the news link in the original post where it said:

China's coal mines are notoriously dangerous. Official figures show that more than 3,200 workers died in collieries last year, but independent observers say the actual figure could be much higher, as many accidents are covered up.

Guess you missed the last part of the news link in the original post where it said:

China's coal mines are notoriously dangerous. Official figures show that more than 3,200 workers died in collieries last year, but independent observers say the actual figure could be much higher, as many accidents are covered up.

I already knew the story on China and coal mines without even reading the link. That story has been going on for many years.

Guest Pommey

Really its not suprising, China has ramped up its coal mining for energy needs, coal mining is inherantly dangerous, especially when not controlled and closly supervised. Just look at the history from the UK, Russia, Poland. usa.

Maybe the western experts they employed to consult should have said someting about safety and its cost to both profit and life.

of course there is always deniability from these western companies involved( i think that huge chemical accident in India showed that , union carbide), we specialize in selling outdated/cheap production while taking no responsibility for the results. Capitalism at is purist form and unfortunately others will buy into it.

My wife is from northern China where these accidents are very common. According to her, this will not change because the owners sometimes disappear, if they stick around the death payoff is very low and trying to address or control illegal mining in China is like trying to control software piracy ¨C almost impossible.

Guest Pommey

My wife is from northern China where these accidents are very common. According to her, this will not change because the owners sometimes disappear, if they stick around the death payoff is very low and trying to address or control illegal mining in China is like trying to control software piracy ¨C almost impossible.

your right this too :cheering: