well, whaddya want to do ?

do you want to receive phone calls in china to yer USA -based telephone number? --roaming charge

do you want to handle data on a USA-issued iPhone in China ? -- data roaming charge.

Both are exhorbinant.

If you don't CARE about having US Service whilst in China, get yer iPhone unlocked, and pop in a china SIM card. You'll have to setup a data account, be prepared to spend at least 1000 rmb for the account (it's different than just a regular cell account, you must go into a provider's office to sign a contract ).

what I do is have my cell # forwarded to my 800 number - which is then forwarded to a china cell # - my costs are about 3 cents/minute for incoming calls - but I'm always reachable.

For data - I take an unlocked device - but ya gotta do a contract to get data service.

What if I just get my phone unlocked,

Pop in a china SIM. Couldn't I still use

Wireless, assuming I could find an unlocked

Data access point?

On another thought, if I didn't get a chinese sim

How could I turn off data roaming

And just rely on wireless?

I already have another unlocked world

Compatible phone I could use.

well, whaddya want to do ?

do you want to receive phone calls in china to yer USA -based telephone number? --roaming charge

do you want to handle data on a USA-issued iPhone in China ? -- data roaming charge.

Both are exhorbinant.

If you don't CARE about having US Service whilst in China, get yer iPhone unlocked, and pop in a china SIM card. You'll have to setup a data account, be prepared to spend at least 1000 rmb for the account (it's different than just a regular cell account, you must go into a provider's office to sign a contract ).

what I do is have my cell # forwarded to my 800 number - which is then forwarded to a china cell # - my costs are about 3 cents/minute for incoming calls - but I'm always reachable.

For data - I take an unlocked device - but ya gotta do a contract to get data service.

I basically do the same thing, except I tell people to call my home phone, and then just have that forwarded to my cell phone when in China (my CallAsia with Vonage means I don't have to pay any money for this service). I use an unlocked Blackberry curve, with a China mobile sim. My problems are the 12 hour time difference between EST and China Standard time, as I have received calls (especially from work) when I am trying to sleep. If I have to make outgoing calls while in China, I do it with my Vonage client on my PC. I do give up all the data services on my phone whenever I am in China, however, and if those are important to you, maybe you can try to access them only through WiFi on your mobile phone?

Edited by bokiwen (see edit history)

What if I just get my phone unlocked,

Pop in a china SIM. Couldn't I still use

Wireless, assuming I could find an unlocked

Data access point?

On another thought, if I didn't get a chinese sim

How could I turn off data roaming

And just rely on wireless?

I already have another unlocked world

Compatible phone I could use.

On my AT&T blackberry curve, under settings->mobile services, there is an option to turn Data Services on/off. If you turn them off, you still can access WiFi but not data services. You can still leave your mobile network enabled. Perhaps there is a similar menu on the Iphone?

When in Hong Kong I basically did that (my China Mobile card didn't work in Hong Kong). I definately wanted to turn off my data services, even knowing that receiving emails on my blackberry was going to be expensive!

I took my iPhone to China; put a local sim card in.

to toggle between edge and wifi, either have an app loaded which is a quick setting (boss prefs in cydia utilities) or go to:

Settings/General/Network; Data Roaming = OFF; Wifi = ON

this is for 2.2.1