Treasury Sec. China bound later this month

Guest Tony n Terrific

Guest ShaQuaNew

The question is, which face will he show when he gets here...

During Geithner's confirmation hearings in January, he told lawmakers that President Obama believed that China was "manipulating" its currency. Treasury later backed off such comments, while maintaining in an April report that Treasury believes that China's currency is "undervalued."
Edited by ShaQuaNew (see edit history)

Tim is not an elected official and the office is supposed to be politically neutral. Hence, he doesn't get the protection afforded elected officials.

So whenever Geithner's name is mentioned it should be taken as having no connection whatsoever to the Obama administration or it's economic policies right? Any criticism of anything Geithner does is to be considered criticism of him only and not reflective of the present administration correct? Just want to be clear what the rules are.

Guest jin979

I remember posting about that at the time - the manipulation comment. I think I mentioned then that it showed naivete. The Chinese showed the maturity to not make an issue of it since a charge of manipulation caused federal protectionist laws to kick in. A really stupid thing to say.

Tim is not an elected official and the office is supposed to be politically neutral. Hence, he doesn't get the protection afforded elected officials.

I think it would be justice to see him handed a few billion in bonds to redeem and be sent on his way by a third level bureaucrat. Or, he should use whatever common sense he can manage to ask how to actually do something useful for the economy; China seems to be doing a much better job than the US.

is he a young man with good knees ?

I remember posting about that at the time - the manipulation comment. I think I mentioned then that it showed naivete. The Chinese showed the maturity to not make an issue of it since a charge of manipulation caused federal protectionist laws to kick in. A really stupid thing to say.

I think it would be justice to see him handed a few billion in bonds to redeem and be sent on his way by a third level bureaucrat. Or, he should use whatever common sense he can manage to ask how to actually do something useful for the economy; China seems to be doing a much better job than the US.

He'll need 'em!

Guest ShaQuaNew

He'll need 'em!

When they make totem poles, the bottom man is usually the guy with a circle for a mouth....

Great one Jin ... :) :)

I am sure he will show the other side of the face like the SOS did on her visit. No other option because we are not in a position to be aggressive.

So whenever Geithner's name is mentioned it should be taken as having no connection whatsoever to the Obama administration or it's economic policies right? Any criticism of anything Geithner does is to be considered criticism of him only and not reflective of the present administration correct? Just want to be clear what the rules are.

It means when he does a really stupid thing he can be called on it. Poking a stick at the one you need to keep you alive is stupid; now he has to go hat in hand. That's stupid.

Are you sure you're not thinking of the Fed Chairman? I don't believe the Sec. of Treasury has any more obligation to remain neutral than any other appointed cabinet member.

From Wiki:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States...of_the_Treasury

From the U.S. Department of the Treasury website:

"The Secretary of the Treasury is the principal economic advisor to the President and plays a critical role in policy-making by bringing an economic and government financial policy perspective to issues facing the government. The Secretary is responsible for formulating and recommending domestic and international financial, economic, and tax policy, participating in the formulation of broad fiscal policies that have general significance for the economy, and managing the public debt. The Secretary oversees the activities of the Department in carrying out its major law enforcement responsibilities; in serving as the financial agent for the United States Government; and in manufacturing coins and currency.

It means when he does a really stupid thing he can be called on it. Poking a stick at the one you need to keep you alive is stupid; now he has to go hat in hand. That's stupid.

Are you sure you're not thinking of the Fed Chairman? I don't believe the Sec. of Treasury has any more obligation to remain neutral than any other appointed cabinet member.

From Wiki:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States...of_the_Treasury

From the U.S. Department of the Treasury website:

"The Secretary of the Treasury is the principal economic advisor to the President and plays a critical role in policy-making by bringing an economic and government financial policy perspective to issues facing the government. The Secretary is responsible for formulating and recommending domestic and international financial, economic, and tax policy, participating in the formulation of broad fiscal policies that have general significance for the economy, and managing the public debt. The Secretary oversees the activities of the Department in carrying out its major law enforcement responsibilities; in serving as the financial agent for the United States Government; and in manufacturing coins and currency.

I think you're right. Tricky Dick used the IRS to do his 'dirty tricks' campaign and the IRS is part of Treasury.

In a way that's even worse if Timmy is speaking for his boss about China being a money manipulator.

Glad we cleared that up. :unsure:

Edited by IllinoisDave (see edit history)

He has a tough job ahead of him:

"Going forward, experts say one of the underlying questions is how the U.S. will curb its voracious appetite for debt. "For the long term, the U.S. will want this growth pattern to be a little more balanced," says Lee. "You can't have consumers continue to run up consumer debt and have the lowest savings rate indefinitely."

If China is able to shift its economy to a more domestic-driven economy, it would have less to lose in disrupting the U.S. economy by selling off its debt. "If budget deficits continue, we don't reduce our entitlement problems and the BRIC countries [brazil, Russia, India and China] continue to develop and rely less on U.S. consumers, we will need the Chinese more than they will need us within 15 years or so," says Smetters. "Of course, that's somewhat loose language. But, the point is that lousy U.S. fiscal policy and continued economic growth in the BRIC countries will render the U.S. as good as Rome.""

http://www.knowledgeatwharton.com.cn/index...;articleid=2032

Are you trying to say something about the toilets?

Are you insinuating he's gonna eat Real Chinese Food then have to blow it all out his backside ?

Oh well, hope he brings some @sspaper that suits him.

(what you said was funny, la )