Urgent! Need advice asap

Laopo is returning back from a visit to china and is travelling with per chinese passport and AP. she leaves on wednesday. i just learned that her return trip to USA is through Vancouver, BC. Then she will have a connecting flight to our local airport here in USA. I dont think she will be allowed entry in canada even though she is travelling on to USA, correct?

We do have her Green card but it is here with me in the USA. we didnt have it yet when she left 5 weeks ago. It just came last week. And there is not enough time for me to send it to her. It would not get there until Thursday. WOuld it be possible for me to fly to Vancouver, BC and get the green card to her in some way? Any other recommendations or do we just need to change flights?

Many thanks for your last minute help.

Yep a tricky one, if she had green-card in hand this would not be an issue Canadian customs and immigrations recognizes I-551 green-card and allows entry without a visa, not sure about I-512 AP form.

Did look up on a reliable travel info page provided by Delta Airlines.

National China (People's Rep.) (CN) Transit Canada (CA) /Destination U.S.A. (US)

Passport required.

• Passport or passport replacing docs. must be valid for at least 6 months beyond the date of departure from the U.S.A.
  • Hong Kong (SAR China) or Macao (SAR China) passports may be valid for the period of intended stay.

Passport Exemptions:

• Holders of a valid on arrival Form I-512 ( Authorization for Parole of an Alien into the United States").
  • Holders of a Temporary or Emergency passports.

Visa required, except for Holders of a Form I-512 ( Authorization for Parole of an Alien into the United States").

http://www.timaticweb.com/cgi-bin/tim_webs...ubuser=DELTAB2C

You should be fine Canada recognizes AP (I-512) Doc when a person is transiting Canada, so all that will be needed to make connection in Canada is Valid passport, and the AP Document.

Unless things have changed they won't let her board the plane in China without a transit visa. I know a woman here in Portland that went through the same thing. She went to China on an AP and she booked a flight back with a stop in Vancouver. When she got to the airport they wouldn't let her board without a transit visa. If on the off chance they do let her board I would assume Canadian immigration would scold her and pass her on through. If she had her green card she would be OK. I think your best option would be to try and reschedule her flight.

Before you fly to Vancouver, call the Vancouver International Airport and talk with someone to arrange the hookup. Having passed through there a couple of times, the POE is in the bowels of that place and I'd doubt you'd get to her without someone from Airport Security or Immigration assisting you.

...but if you find a helpful Canadian, they'll stand on their head to help you.

That said...

Warpedbored is probably correct: delay the flight, FEDEX the green card and call it good.

Edited by griz326 (see edit history)

If you email her copy of her green card it may be enough to convince them. I did find this on Canadian immigration website.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/pdf/kits/guides/5256E.PDF

persons lawfully admitted to the United States for permanent residence who are in

possession of their alien registration card or can provide other evidence of permanent

residence;

the catch is whether or not AP is proof enough of permanent residence.

Unless things have changed they won't let her board the plane in China without a transit visa. I know a woman here in Portland that went through the same thing. She went to China on an AP and she booked a flight back with a stop in Vancouver. When she got to the airport they wouldn't let her board without a transit visa. If on the off chance they do let her board I would assume Canadian immigration would scold her and pass her on through. If she had her green card she would be OK. I think your best option would be to try and reschedule her flight.

Sounds like a Canadian Immigrations official not familiar with the rules.

But yes, it always best to NOT make connections in Canada or even Japan when traveling with I-512 if you can help it.

But yes, it always best to NOT make connections in Canada or even Japan when traveling with I-512 if you can help it.

In the case I am referring to Dan, it wasn't Canadian immigration. The airline wouldn't let her board the plane in China. My feeling is if she gets on the plane she will be OK.

In the case I am referring to Dan, it wasn't Canadian immigration. The airline wouldn't let her board the plane in China. My feeling is if she gets on the plane she will be OK.

Correct, sometimes airlines are not familiar with rules either.

I suspect printing out the page I provided, and getting a supervisor at the airport involved and have them look up the rules, they will then learn something new and allow the person holding AP doc board, they do for direct flights to the USA.

Yes!!! She didnt realize Vancouver was Canada. Plausible error I guess. My fault too, I should have been a little more hands-on.

Thanks for all the great and helpful info from all of you. And it seems you all are spot on. I have been in contact with Canadian consulate and seems the AP is sufficient (Although I am waiting for confirmation from a supervisor). However, my wife has been on the phone with China Eastern and has mentioned the details posted here about the AP and it seems to be a no go from their perspective. Seems they are clueless about this rule and situation.....no canadian travel visa no boarding.

Still trying to decide what to do. I think there is a chance to press the issue and fight and win but just too risky. I think its probably best to change flights.

Guest Pommey

just fly her direct into a USA POE.

ie CAN to LAX, great deals at the moment.

only other way to be sure , assuming they let her on the plane, is for you to buy a international ticket to Canada meet her in the international terminal before she transfers and give her, her GC. Sounds pretty expensive though and no doubt will lead to a huge mope slap for not being on the ball.

bite the bullet, and rebook.

sending your lass on a flight with a uncertain conclusion, ummmm may take you years(if ever) to redeem that one.

Don any room with the cats ?

As Ji says cheap is good cheapstake is not

Edited by Pommey (see edit history)

I just got an email from a good canadian friend of mine saying ""all the flights into vcr that are connecting have a special transit area where they do not even go through Canada customs when they land!!"".

I know this doesnt solve the issue of getting on the plane in the first place, but can anyone that has been through vancouver airport confirm this?

I just got an email from a good canadian friend of mine saying ""all the flights into vcr that are connecting have a special transit area where they do not even go through Canada customs when they land!!"".

I know this doesnt solve the issue of getting on the plane in the first place, but can anyone that has been through vancouver airport confirm this?

Yes. There is an upper walkway and signage that leads to a customs officer at a booth checking passports and tickets for transiting passengers. It was pretty quick. After the officer looks over everything you go down an escalator into the shops/restaurants/gates.

Wouldn't she clear U.S. immigration/customs @ Vancouver B.C. before connecting on a U.S. domestic flight?

http://www.yvr.ca/guide/around/connecting.asp?id=int2usa

International Arrivals to U.S.A. Departures

There are two inspection processes available for International passengers transiting to U.S.A. Destinations. To find out which process you should follow, please ask your airline representative when checking in at your originating International departing point.

Option 1:

Allows passengers to bypass Canada Customs and Immigration.

Follow U.S.A. Connections signs to the escalators and stairs going down to a single baggage carousel. An airline coordinator stationed there will ensure that you have the correct documentation to enter into the In-Transit Pre-Clearance Facility.

Retrieve your baggage from the carousel and go through U.S. Customs and Immigration. Any additional passenger check-in requirements occur here.

Once through U.S. Customs, drop off your baggage and enter the U.S.A. security checkpoint to your designated departure gate.

You will not be required to pay the $10.00 Airport Improvement Fee.

Option 2:

Requires Canada Customs and Immigration clearance

Follow the Canada Arrivals signs to the Canada Arrivals Hall. Proceed through the Canada Customs and Immigration Preliminary Inspection Line.

To determine which carousel contains the baggage from your flight, check the baggage information display screens that are located on each carousel.

Proceed to the Secondary Inspection Line, where you will hand in your Canada Customs Declaration Form.

Beyond Canada Customs is the International Reception Lobby, where you can access the following services:

Foreign exchange and banking services

Air Canada and other domestic airline check-in counters

Tourism Info Centre

Cruise ship information counters

You may either:

Proceed through the automatic opening glass doors to the Public Meet and Greet area and follow the U.S.A. Departures signs to Departures Level of the International Terminal;

Take an elevator to the U.S.A. Departures check-in area on the Departures Level of the International Terminal.

Follow the U.S.A. Departures signs to the U.S.A. check-in area.

Having flown many times from mainland China and HKG into YVR (Vancouver), I am quite familiar with this process.

It is true that some flights have the option of direct transfers through US Customs onto US bound flights. It is NOT true that every flight has this option. There are fees the airlines have to pay in order for their passengers to exercise this option. Not all do... in fact sometimes it even depends on what time of day the flight arrives, as the US Customs there in YVR does not have the same hours as all arriving flights.

In short, I've been through that line many times (US Customs) in Vancover, but I've also been through many times when it is closed and/or not available for my particular flight (sometimes even when I'm on the same flight number as the previous time when it was available).

It is also true that your SO will likely not be able to board a YVR bound flight in China or HK without China transit visa... regardless of what the detailed rules might say. We've taken that route with both AP and green card. They checked very closely for Canada visa upon boarding.

I'd recommend, as others have, that you FedEx the GC or rebook onto flight arriving direct US.

Good luck to you.

Having flown many times from mainland China and HKG into YVR (Vancouver), I am quite familiar with this process.

It is true that some flights have the option of direct transfers through US Customs onto US bound flights. It is NOT true that every flight has this option. There are fees the airlines have to pay in order for their passengers to exercise this option. Not all do... in fact sometimes it even depends on what time of day the flight arrives, as the US Customs there in YVR does not have the same hours as all arriving flights.

In short, I've been through that line many times (US Customs) in Vancover, but I've also been through many times when it is closed and/or not available for my particular flight (sometimes even when I'm on the same flight number as the previous time when it was available).

It is also true that your SO will likely not be able to board a YVR bound flight in China or HK without China transit visa... regardless of what the detailed rules might say. We've taken that route with both AP and green card. They checked very closely for Canada visa upon boarding.

I'd recommend, as others have, that you FedEx the GC or rebook onto flight arriving direct US.

Good luck to you.

Yes we did decide to book a new flight directly into the US and cancel the other flight for a future credit. We figure that the odds of convincing the chinese airline personal that the I-512 was acceptable were not in our favor and was just not worth the risk. Kicking myself for not making the reservations myself or at least checking everything over before she confirmed. Lesson learned. At least we caught it before the day of travel. That would have been a nightmare.