Questions on assemling the AOS Packet

I am putting the AOS packet together to send out this week.

Couple questions:

I am (of course) usiing Acco fasteners to attatch it all together.

What is the best way of including the passport photos with the packet using the Acco clips? I was thinkin about using ziplock baggies...

And what about the sealed Medical envelope? Can I get away with punching to holes in the envelope for the Acco?

Thanks!

I am putting the AOS packet together to send out this week.

Couple questions:

I am (of course) usiing Acco fasteners to attatch it all together.

What is the best way of including the passport photos with the packet using the Acco clips? I was thinkin about using ziplock baggies...

And what about the sealed Medical envelope? Can I get away with punching to holes in the envelope for the Acco?

Thanks!

Ya' know, the folks at VJ recommend the plastic baggies; however, on my two I-130's for K-3 and K-4, my I-129f for K-3, and most recently with my two I-485 packages for AOS, I used two of the medium (larger sized than standard) paper clips, one at the side and one at the bottom, to secure all photos to each form which required them.

No RFE's, no delays, no adverse comments. Similar to front-loading, and adding photos with the AOS packages, sometimes you just have to use some common sense and not worry about..."this is the way we have always done it..." :P

I don't want to get into an argument or debate with those who are very anal on these things; this is just the way that I did it.

I would recommend NOT punching holes in the medical packet, unless you can locate exactly where the holes should go. They will take those forms out of the envelope and add them to your file along with all others. I recommend NOT punching holes in any of the pages, but, hey, that's a different story.

So how should I attatch the Medical envelpoe?

And I thought the Acco fasteners were the preferred method of binding things together..... which requires punching holes.

Is there a better way? I'm open to suggestions...

No - my personal preference is to let them handle their own filing system - they can punch their own damn holes. Others agree with the ACCO fasteners, but I figure you can submit a nice, clean stack of pages, separated by file folders or tabs, that they can readily adapt to their own format.

But like I said about the I-693, it will be removed from the envelope (which you can't do) before filing.

There's a document box or large (8 1/2x11 or larger) envelope which will let everything lay flat. Just add the medical envelope to the stack. In this scheme, attaching anything to anything else is unnecessary.

Again, just my own preference. Go with what you're comfortable with.

In our case 3 ACCO fasteners.

2 hole punch the top of all

I-485, I-864, G-325A and associated evidence

2 Passport photos in a Ziploc baggie attached to a sheet of paper

Photo copy of marriage cert

Photo copy of foreign birth cert + English translation

Photo copy of I-94 card

Photo copy of passport

Photo copy of I-129F Approval letter

Photo copies of financial evidence used for the I-864 (Assembled behind the I-864.)

I-131

Photo copy of I-94 card

I-765

In our case 3 ACCO fasteners.

2 hole punch the top of all

I-485, I-864, G-325A and associated evidence

Photo copy of marriage cert

Photo copy of foreign birth cert + English translation

Photo copy of I-94 card

Photo copy of passport

Photo copy of I-129F Approval letter

Photo copies of financial evidence used for the I-864 (Assembled behind the I-864.)

I-131

Photo copy of I-94 card

I-765

Hey Dan,

How did you deal with attaching / including the I-693 Medical Envelope?

Hey Dan,

How did you deal with attaching / including the I-693 Medical Envelope?

Perhaps staple it to a single sheet of paper that will be attached to the I-485. Write on the envelope Vaccinations supplement for Chen Yin.

In our case, my two hole punch fit perfectly within the width of the std. business envelope which contained the I-693 . I held the envelope up to the light, let the contents slide down to the bottom side of the envelope, then two hole punched the top side of the envelope and secured it to the folder, along with the other data (med exam related) I had supplied.

Simple, clean, and consistent with all the other documents enclosed in my top hinged, ACCO clipped, bottom tabbed file folder.

Again, and IMO, and as I have stated before, I followed the attached link from USCIS very closely, and gave them what they wanted. So far it seems to have paid off well. I know from my own personal experience of reviewing 'thousands' of (internal/external) investigative files over the years; that the nice, clean, complete, well organized, easy to read ones, left me with a good feeling when I opened it and then closed/signed off on it. But as Randy states, we each should approach this matter in the way that gives us the most satisfaction. :blink:

http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis/men...00045f3d6a1RCRD

I'm satisfied.

http://www.chinafamilyvisa.com/forum/style_emoticons/default/music.gif http://www.chinafamilyvisa.com/forum/style_emoticons/default/yahoo.gif http://www.chinafamilyvisa.com/forum/style_emoticons/default/dj.gif http://www.chinafamilyvisa.com/forum/style_emoticons/default/bathfun.gif http://www.chinafamilyvisa.com/forum/style_emoticons/default/wine.gif

Guest ShaQuaNew

Does anyone know where this whole idea with punching hole in forms and paperwork all began? Perhaps a military vet? It boggles the mind to see the variety of instructions that are provided that you cannot corroborate in any instruction for AOS or other immigration process. I've yet to see any official instruction that specifically states to punch holes in forms.

:blink:

I can understand wanting to organize the contents, but you can be sure the people that handle paperwork have their own standard. If they punch holes, they won't be using a hand operated hole punch. I know the intention is to be of help, and even reduce the work for paperwork handlers, but it seems you could be causing more of a problem by punching holes that may not be needed, out of alignment, or whatever.

From Roger's link (this is the only reference that I know of)

In preparing your packet, please take note of the following:

Do not use binders or folders that cannot be easily disassembled.

Use ACCO fasteners to hold together thick or bulky applications or petitions. Two-hole punching the top of the material for easy placement in the file is appreciated.

I still say they can punch their own damn holes.

Edited by Randy W (see edit history)
Guest ShaQuaNew

I still say they can punch their own damn holes.

EXACTLY!

They've got the equipment if they want to punch holes, and know exactly how to do it when and if needed....

Does anyone know where this whole idea with punching hole in forms and paperwork all began? Perhaps a military vet? It boggles the mind to see the variety of instructions that are provided that you cannot corroborate in any instruction for AOS or other immigration process. I've yet to see any official instruction that specifically states to punch holes in forms.

I can understand wanting to organize the contents, but you can be sure the people that handle paperwork have their own standard. If they punch holes, they won't be using a hand operated hole punch. I know the intention is to be of help, and even reduce the work for paperwork handlers, but it seems you could be causing more of a problem by punching holes that may not be needed, out of alignment, or whatever.

I found this USCIS link when I first filed my I-130 two years ago.

Bullet #8 speaks to this. Moreover, I had a friend in the US Attorney's office who was on the same joint local, state, federal task force; and I noticed all his case files were top hole punched in black or rust colored top hinged file folders....the 'federal' way.

Back then, right about the time they added the additional bona fides of relationship portion of the I-130 file, I also noted bullet #15, and I then front-loaded each of my files. Notice it is they, who have put the word "complete" in bold type face.

Guest ShaQuaNew

I found this USCIS link when I first filed my I-130 two years ago.

Okay, good link. First I've seen it.

In preparing your packet, please take note of the following:

*Do not use binders or folders that cannot be easily disassembled.

*Use ACCO fasteners to hold together thick or bulky applications or

petitions. Two-hole punching the top of the material for easy

placement in the file is appreciated.