College degrees from China

My wife completed a bachelor's degree at a Chinese University and wants this to be considered when she applies for admission to an American college or university.

Does anyone here have any experience in getting a Chinese college degree accepted by an American college or university?

Is there a list of Chinese Universities whose degrees are generally considered the equivalent of degrees from American schools?

Thanks for the info.

Peter and Hai Ying

Guest ShaQuaNew

My wife completed a bachelor's degree at a Chinese University and wants this to be considered when she applies for admission to an American college or university.

Does anyone here have any experience in getting a Chinese college degree accepted by an American college or university?

Is there a list of Chinese Universities whose degrees are generally considered the equivalent of degrees from American schools?

Thanks for the info.

Peter and Hai Ying

You will find that most Chinese degrees are NOT accepted by accredited universities in the US. The best thing to do is to contact the admissions department of the university and ask them directly, because they sometimes make certain concessions for foreign diplomas and degrees.

A good alternative is to consider "CLEP" exams. If you pass the exam on the topic, you will get college credit for that topic or course.

There are more than a few people at work who got their undergraduate degrees in China, and then transferred to American universities for their graduate program.

Look for schools that actively recruit foreign students with F-1 visas

All student applicants must have a SEVIS generated I-20 issued by an educational institution approved by DHS, which they submit when they are applying for their student visa.

Yes I know she doesn't need a student visa, but that will help you find a school which will be willing to look at her Chinese transcript.

Guest ShaQuaNew

There are more than a few people at work who got their undergraduate degrees in China, and then transferred to American universities for their graduate program.

Look for schools that actively recruit foreign students with F-1 visas

All student applicants must have a SEVIS generated I-20 issued by an educational institution approved by DHS, which they submit when they are applying for their student visa.

Yes I know she doesn't need a student visa, but that will help you find a school which will be willing to look at her Chinese transcript.

Several factors are considered when a student transfers from a foreign school. In the case of China, many Chinese universities do not include the required curricula to directly transfer a degree. For example, if you have a bachelor's degree in Education from a Chinese university, you will not be able to transfer that degree directly. Because there are so many variables when it comes to the differences in education between the US and China, it's best to begin discussing the options with a university that is accustomed to working with foreign students and assessing their transcripts.

Edited by ShaQuaNew (see edit history)

my wife have a four year bachelors degree from a Chinese University. she had it translated to english in china the local community collage here accepted her bachelor's degree, they said her courses was good and it really helped her ,she is now working on her ADN degree, she is also , on the collage presidents honor list,and she is also a member in the international Honor Society, PHI THETA KAPPA, but she would have no problem going to a state University, maybe North Carolina is diffrent from other states , i don't know, but she will need both her chinese and english translated degrees with her when she talk to some one about entering collage my wife have taken many courses in the last year and a half ,waiting for a opening into the nursing class, hope this help , cotact me if you need more info

Guest jin979

it depends on degree/profession

many will have to be analysed by credential agency and originals +translation have to be sent from university to agency direct.

Guest shutterbug

Some of you make it sound far more complicated than it really is. If you are applying for a job - that is, except certain fields (medical for example) - it has no bearing. Have you applied for a job where the employer asks to see your transcript or checks with your school to confirm the degree awarded? I haven't. They just take my word for it, not that I ever misrepresented myself. If you are applying to graduate school, most four-year degrees awarded by Chinese universities are perfectly acceptable to graduate school admission offices in the US. At any given time there are tens of thousands of Chinese students in graduate schools in the US. Certainly if the undergraduate curriculum for a particular degree is very different in China than it is in the US, the applicant would be asked to take certain undergraduate courses; otherwise the degree is accepted and admission is offered without condition. Besides, graduate admission offices at all decent American schools expect foreign applicants to take GRE/GMAT/LSAT or whatever standardized tests customary for that field, just as they expect domestic applicants to do.

Certainly things get a bit murky for those who attended some college but never completed a degree. I have no experience in order to provide any input.

Guest Pommey

for both my admission to a masters here and for state licensure I had to get transcripts from my univerities in the UK (one being Oxford).