Traveling - Looking for Suggestions!

Ok, just about ready to go on a fly/drive to the following listed cities. Would love to see if any CFL'ers have a favorite Chinese Food Resturant in the following;

(Please don't ask why I'm going to be in these weird assortment of cities)

Las Vegas

Reno

Carson City

Flagstaff

Albuquerque

Amarillo

Oklahoma City

Tulsa

Denver

Salt Lake City

Sacramento

Stockton

I would appreciate all recommendations - you will make my life a lot better if I have some great Chinese places to take "She who would be Queen" for a great dinner. As a return payment - if anyone comes to Hawaii - I will share the secret of the $12.00 Chinese Lobster, 1 block from Waikiki.

Thanks Hawaii Mike

Guest shutterbug

Ok, just about ready to go on a fly/drive to the following listed cities. Would love to see if any CFL'ers have a favorite Chinese Food Resturant in the following;

Las Vegas

Reno

Carson City

Flagstaff

Albuquerque

Amarillo

Oklahoma City

Tulsa

Denver

Salt Lake City

Sacramento

Stockton

I would appreciate all recommendations - you will make my life a lot better if I have some great Chinese places to take "She who would be Queen" for a great dinner. As a return payment - if anyone comes to Hawaii - I will share the secret of the $12.00 Chinese Lobster, 1 block from Waikiki.

Thanks Hawaii Mike

Interesting list indeed! I have been to seven of the cities on your list but never sampled any of the Chinese restaurant there. The only Asian food I had was at a Thai place (highly rated by Zagat but very bland in our opinion) and at Todai (pretty good Jananese buffet among the shops in Planet Hollywood), both in Las Vegas. Although born and raised in China, I don't have the so-called Chinese-stomach many allegedly have :rolleyes:

Lived in Denver for years, no good chinese there, Taos on the other hand 2 good ones.

:happydance:

I've done all of those cities on road trips, but never ate any Chinese foods...when I go west I get great Mexican food. I would think the cities you visit in CA will have some good restaurants, but not as good as China. I see your Lao po is from Xiamen, right? Mine too. Have y'all ever been to the little Chairman Mao restaurant on Bailuzhou Lu? Very unique and very good groceries! :jump:

Las Vegas

Reno

Carson City

Flagstaff

Albuquerque

Amarillo

Oklahoma City

Tulsa

Denver

Salt Lake City

Sacramento

Stockton

Thanks Hawaii Mike

Re: Sacramento, see the link below.

http://candleforlove.com/forums/index.php?...t+in+Sacramento

Moreover, I am quite familiar with the Carson City area, multiple visits and a lot of time in the Carson Valley; however, I do not recall any notable Chinese restaurants in this cowboy town.

Reno is just up the road a piece, and you will find some there for sure, but I can't name them now.

Edited by rogerinca (see edit history)

Lived in Denver for years, no good chinese there, Taos on the other hand 2 good ones.

:rolleyes:

I've done all of those cities on road trips, but never ate any Chinese foods...when I go west I get great Mexican food. I would think the cities you visit in CA will have some good restaurants, but not as good as China. I see your Lao po is from Xiamen, right? Mine too. Have y'all ever been to the little Chairman Mao restaurant on Bailuzhou Lu? Very unique and very good groceries! :o

Yea, I've been there a dozen or so times during the time I lived in Xiamen. I agree - pretty good food there. FYI - they actually have 2 of those resturants in Xiamen. Both are about the same...but the one on Bailuzhou Lu has the 5 or 6 parking spots out front - or should I say wide sidewalk where everyone parks - including me. Take Care.

Yea, I've been there a dozen or so times during the time I lived in Xiamen. I agree - pretty good food there. FYI - they actually have 2 of those resturants in Xiamen. Both are about the same...but the one on Bailuzhou Lu has the 5 or 6 parking spots out front - or should I say wide sidewalk where everyone parks - including me. Take Care.

=============================================

We've been to the other one also and it's not usually as crowded...parking/driving on the sidewalks. I want to be police commissioner for a year so in Xiamen...I have a contract on my head.

¹þ¹þ¹þ....are y'all in Xiamen now?

That is a problem, asking for GOOD restaurants.

The last time my little mouse and I went to Atlanta I wanted to go to this place rated by Zagat as the second best Chinese restaurant in the area. We went there and it was, if not the pits, certainly it was unremarkable. I lost all respect for Zagat. Of course I am extremely spoiled by my wife's cooking (which all the old timers here have heard about many times).

It is strange the way even the most pitiful little town will have a Chinese restaurant but 99% of them are not worth a darn. The chicken is like mystery meat. The beef is low grade. All the sauces for the dishes are too sweet. The fried shrimp has an inch of batter on it. There must be some national wholesaler that supplies them all with this formula Ameri-Chi "cuisine."

Oh, okay, here is an idea. Your wife can tell the manager to have the cook come talk to her, she can tell him what you all want and how it is to be cooked. I have seen my wife do this.

Las Vegas

Reno

Carson City

Flagstaff

Albuquerque

Amarillo

Oklahoma City

Tulsa

Denver

Salt Lake City

Sacramento

Stockton

Thanks Hawaii Mike

I would really recommend you try the best local style in each area instead of just trying to find Chinese resturants. None of these areas are really known for Chinese food. Your wife can eat great chinese in China or come to San Francisco, San Jose or SoCal for Chinese in those areas I would hunt for great local resturants that might be good.

I am lucky my wife is very open and just likes good food so we can try anyplace as long as it is good. Now my daughter really likes only chinese so we do have to let her get some, but if it is not good or made the way she wants it does not good. I get no credit taking her to bad chinese or american chinese food. I get more credit if I take her to a good local style than bad chinese.

<<It is strange the way even the most pitiful little town will have a Chinese restaurant but 99% of them are not worth a darn. The chicken is like mystery meat. The beef is low grade. All the sauces for the dishes are too sweet. The fried shrimp has an inch of batter on it. There must be some national wholesaler that supplies them all with this formula Ameri-Chi "cuisine.">>

ROTFLMAO!!!! ....that is soooo true!

My lao po comes home with just a bag of groceries and 1 hour later the table is full of delicious dishes... :blink:

=============================================

We've been to the other one also and it's not usually as crowded...parking/driving on the sidewalks. I want to be police commissioner for a year so in Xiamen...I have a contract on my head.

¹þ¹þ¹þ....are y'all in Xiamen now?

No, we've been mostly in Hawaii ever since POE in Oct. We have our GC interview on the 2nd of June, and based on "Jin's medical condition" we will soon leave for a month or so back in Xiamen. (Jin is 7 weeks PG and pretty miserable with morning sickness that lasts all DAY & NIGHT). I'm looking forward to going back and seeing relatives, friends, and house/car etc! Our house is next door to the Sofitel on Hubin Bei Lu, not too far from KFC.

Hawaii Mike & Jin

We just got back from Phoenix and Flagstaff. There is a great That restaraunt 1 block north of the tracks on San Francisco street in Flagstaff. We loved the Basil chicken. The owner is kind of grumpy but his food is wonderful. In Phoenix there is a Chinese Cultural Center with a wonderful seafood buffet just nother of the airport.

Las Vegas

Reno

Carson City

Flagstaff

Albuquerque

Amarillo

Oklahoma City

Tulsa

Denver

Salt Lake City

Sacramento

Stockton

Thanks Hawaii Mike

THANKS, I will be in Flagstaff - Tomorrow Night...What a timely post.

We are in Las Vegas now.......we ate in a great "Sichuan Resturant" last night ...NAME "MA MA JIA". Ok, west of LV Chinatown about a mile, turn right (N) about a block...sort of in the second section of Chinatown...lot's of asian places....in strip malls. I'll try to get the address off my Navigation System! Resonable price, only Zhong Gua Ren, nobody dared speak english...several Laowei with Tai Tai...eating. We had 5 dishes, 3 without "FIRE SPICES" for me and two 200 Octane for miss - I'm pregnant and can't eat anything...except...HOT SICHUAN FOOD...GO FIGURE!!!

Again, thanks for the Flagstaff Recommendation...Timely!

Thanks Hawaii Mike

Las Vegas Sichuan Food. Very Good.

China MaMa, in Hanzi, MA MA JIA

3420 S. Jones Blvd. LV NV 89146 (About a mile west of Hwy 15 take Spring Mountain Rd - West , until you get to Jones Blvd - make a right turn....on your right about 1/2 block)

Phone - 702-873-1977

(They don't have alchohol, CVS across street next to 168 Market has beer/wine...you can brown bag take in...No Problem)

Las Vegas Sichuan Food. Very Good.

China MaMa, in Hanzi, MA MA JIA

3420 S. Jones Blvd. LV NV 89146 (About a mile west of Hwy 15 take Spring Mountain Rd - West , until you get to Jones Blvd - make a right turn....on your right about 1/2 block)

Phone - 702-873-1977

(They don't have alchohol, CVS across street next to 168 Market has beer/wine...you can brown bag take in...No Problem)

I remember eating at Sam Woo in Vegas Chinatown. It is a good place for noodles.