Sometimes, coming up with an original idea is difficult, especially in areas that have been heavily researched...a good idea is a good idea..who's idea it is isn't important....the important thing is that you recognize it as a good idea...so goes the thinking in the world of plagiarism...

. . . For writers, musicians, artists and the like, plagerism is like theft, pure and simple. You might as well stick your hand in my pocket and take whatever is there. However, this is not a commonly held belief in China . . .

In relation to the daugher in question at the beginning of the thread, perhaps she doesn't comprehend that plagerism is a bad thing. I am pretty sure her teachers in China didn't stress this as an issue. I could be wrong, but chances are it was rarely discussed.

It is good to know the Chinese approach to plagiarism; I'll have my work cut out for me.

However, "plagiarism" is gaining ground within US corporations, my company calls the initiative "write once, use many." While what I write is a company asset and the company's to use however it chooses, some of our technical documentation resembles a Chinese term paper based on the descriptions above with cut and paste from many technical writers. :lol:

You make an excellent point about the rise of plagiarism in the corporate world in America. This is especially true in technical writing in general and engineering monographs in particular. I live near Huntsville, Alabama, which is one of the hi-tech centers in the country, especially as related to Department of Defense and NASA. I have several close friends that work for sub-contractors dealing with the space program and, prior to that, the Patriot Missle project. It was commonplace to find the words of one writer used extensively in the works of another techie.

It was mind boggling for us old school ink slingers. I suspect it is a sign of the times. Plagiarism is alive and well....

One idea I used to use to get my point across to students who needed to understand what plagiarism is was to have them write me an extended essay on it....even if they had to resort to plagiarism. Just a thought, but you might try that with your daughter. Give her the opportunity to find out for herself what it is through research then "encourage" her to "teach" you all about it.

Guest ShaQuaNew

. . . For writers, musicians, artists and the like, plagerism is like theft, pure and simple. You might as well stick your hand in my pocket and take whatever is there. However, this is not a commonly held belief in China . . .

In relation to the daugher in question at the beginning of the thread, perhaps she doesn't comprehend that plagerism is a bad thing. I am pretty sure her teachers in China didn't stress this as an issue. I could be wrong, but chances are it was rarely discussed.

It is good to know the Chinese approach to plagiarism; I'll have my work cut out for me.

However, "plagiarism" is gaining ground within US corporations, my company calls the initiative "write once, use many." While what I write is a company asset and the company's to use however it chooses, some of our technical documentation resembles a Chinese term paper based on the descriptions above with cut and paste from many technical writers. :blink:

You make an excellent point about the rise of plagiarism in the corporate world in America. This is especially true in technical writing in general and engineering monographs in particular. I live near Huntsville, Alabama, which is one of the hi-tech centers in the country, especially as related to Department of Defense and NASA. I have several close friends that work for sub-contractors dealing with the space program and, prior to that, the Patriot Missle project. It was commonplace to find the words of one writer used extensively in the works of another techie.

It was mind boggling for us old school ink slingers. I suspect it is a sign of the times. Plagiarism is alive and well....

One idea I used to use to get my point across to students who needed to understand what plagiarism is was to have them write me an extended essay on it....even if they had to resort to plagiarism. Just a thought, but you might try that with your daughter. Give her the opportunity to find out for herself what it is through research then "encourage" her to "teach" you all about it.

There are fundamental differences between a technical document and the content of a term paper or novel. When it comes to technical writing, it's important to use standardized nomenclature when describing a device or function. If you're working within the same corporation, and the company has created a device, function, or technology, a writer is often compelled by a legal department to use boilerplate content to describe it. In this case, it's not about being unique, but about being consistently accurate.

The same is true when discussing devices, functions and technologies that are trademarked or copyrighted. That company has standard nomenclature and boilerplate to describe it, and choosing to deviate from it, can land you right in the middle of a lawsuit. In this case, not because you copied it, but because you didn't.

I get the idea that many think of writers these days as folks that live out in the country, mountains, or seashore; set apart from the public and disturbance. That would be nice, but you have to have an internet connection. Writers don't simply invent content, and squirt it out of their brain and eyes onto paper. They look at other people's work, structure, formatting, layout, and style.

Wow - you make a very valid point regarding technical writing, something I have done very little of. The more I think about it, in the tech field one would need a good bit of standardization of content and format. Your point about the potential of being sued because you didn't copy something is very insightful. I plan on raising this issue with my two techie friends, as they both often complain that tech writing is about as exciting as kissing your sister. They sure don't complain about the steady work and great pay, however.

There are fundamental differences between a technical document and the content of a term paper or novel. When it comes to technical writing, it's important to use standardized nomenclature when describing a device or function. If you're working within the same corporation, and the company has created a device, function, or technology, a writer is often compelled by a legal department to use boilerplate content to describe it. In this case, it's not about being unique, but about being consistently accurate.

The same is true when discussing devices, functions and technologies that are trademarked or copyrighted. That company has standard nomenclature and boilerplate to describe it, and choosing to deviate from it, can land you right in the middle of a lawsuit. In this case, not because you copied it, but because you didn't.

. . . Writers don't simply invent content, and squirt it out of their brain and eyes onto paper. They look at other people's work, structure, formatting, layout, and style.

I was made a technical writer years ago because I was an expert in my field. For many years, my content was all original and had value because I was an expert writing within my area of expertise. I'm not fond of the new way of doing things, but it is more efficient.

BTW - We haven't had many issues of the sort you describe with legal, but perhaps my group has been lucky.

Guest ShaQuaNew

. . . Writers don't simply invent content, and squirt it out of their brain and eyes onto paper. They look at other people's work, structure, formatting, layout, and style.

I was made a technical writer years ago because I was an expert in my field. For many years, my content was all original and had value because I was an expert writing within my area of expertise. I'm not fond of the new way of doing things, but it is more efficient.

BTW - We haven't had many issues of the sort you describe with legal, but perhaps my group has been lucky.

I would prefer to create my own content in many cases, but have been often directed by legal departments to put in standard boilerplate for introductions about various topics. I always tend to tweak it a little bit though, which is breaking the rules, but hey, I just can't stand putting in stuff that is poorly worded or doesn't sound right.

With my current company, we've got dozens, if not hundreds of products that share various functionality. It's nice when you can go to another guide or document and grab content and paste it into yours. A good time saver rather than having to re-invent the wheel every time.

Edited by ShaQuaNew (see edit history)
  • 2 weeks later...

Interesting topic, Griz.

I have written several US Patents, and the technical language is not only standardized, but formal to boot. But---you still need to cite references very carefully--because they all represent: "prior art"

I would suggest further that from an intellectual property stand point---you can't just paraphrase, or rearrange others published content---you still need to attribute the source. And if your use is extensive, you need to get permission if its copyrighted.