AOS Complete

Well, we made it!

Our interview was at 7:20 AM Friday April 24th. We scoped out the location and parking the evening before and it was a good thing. In Santa Ana the address 34 Civic Center Plaza refers to a building number in a large government campus. No relation to a street name at all. We arrived on time (just) and filtered through the security net.

There were no directions to the floor we needed. We followed someone else to the second floor.

The waiting room was typical government issue. We placed our notices at the window and waited. When our names were called we went to a separate private office for the interview. The first order of business was to sign a paper to remove me as legal representative. I had filed a G28 to receive notices and answer any questions if they called. I think t confused them a bit.

We chose not to take a translator and it proved to be a little difficult. The lady giving the interview was not at all patient. She had us swear in and asked a few simple questions. You know the type they ask you after you get tackled hard in football practice. What's your name? How many fingers am I holding up?

She hashed over previous marriages quite a bit. She wanted to know if my wife's ex was still in China and how did she know that for sure. Hashing over broken relationships under that pressure was a bitch! After a standard question about being arrested the interviewer doubted she understood the question and asked her to explain the question. I had to intercede and asked if our daughter could just translate her question to my wife. She got a little snippy, but allowed it. She asked where we were married, who was there and did we go on a honeymoon. Also about our followup ceremony in Florida with family.

We got through that section and Ping did remarkably well keeping her cool. I think she was more worried that I was going to loose it. I did screw up her birthday. I said the proper month but our daughters day! Whoops.

Our daughter had a question about her school name, drug use, criminal record and where she lived. That was it.

The IO asked if I had any documents with me. I gave her the shared assets, bank, gas bill, insurance cards, etc. She didn't review them, just filed them. She wouldn't take my tax records - didn't need them I guess. She did take three reference letters from friends (thanks guys). She didn't take my work records or pay stubs. I get paid weekly, the pile looked a bit big for the folder.

She then asked for pictures and the whole atmosphere lightened up. Ping pointed to all the pictures and pointed to my family members. The IO really liked the page with the food picture of things we made together. She took one picture page of our beach wedding in Florida. And that was it. She said she wold review it a little and was going to approve it. A really strange thing was that she asked us to return at 2:00 to pick up a letter of approval. The second trip back was a pain in the butt. More security, another door to enter, and waiting again. The letter was a simple affair saying congratulations and you will be mailed the card in 21 days...

It was a hassle - an unnecessarily uncomfortable one - and a relief to finish.

Ping is so happy! No more papers, no more study. I can see the weight just fall off her shoulders.

Thanks to all that helped along the way. It's been a little start to our big adventure. When you look back at it and ask if I'd ever do it know what I know now, the answer is still - YES. I'm getting so much more out of it than I had to put in. I have a great wife and a beautiful family. Hang in there everyone.

Thanks all. Now my daughter wants to know when Mother can vote! :huh: She doesn't like my position on the latest California propositions!

One additional comment of note, they did not take her EAD card. The IO photocopied it only. They did take the advance parole. Copied the social security card as well.