Only in China

If you think the haggling over prices makes you look like a sucker here, I suggest you never go to any South American country -- with the notable exception of Chile -- for more than 25 minutes. They make the Chinese look like total amateurs.

I agree that service aboard short-haul flights on Chinese airlines is much better than on US airlines. Even their frequent flyer programs are far, far superior to US carriers.

I do not agree, however, that customer service in the US is not as good as in China. As a whole, customer service in the US is much better -- as a whole. In China service is pretty good in upper middle class and better establishments in large cities. In your average stores and restaurants it's hit and miss. And in smaller cities it can still be really terrible. Back home it's usually good, but then if you get off the beaten path and end up at a KFC in the "hood" ... well, just hope you're wearing one of the better-made bullet proof vests.

I never really thought of service being better in the north vs. southern China. I have found people as friendly and service as good in both areas. I think the difference is that in the north people just have much more time to talkk to you because of their less stressing lifestyle and their inherent interest in all things foreign. In the south people are used to expats plus they really are pushed to work hard and have no time (or energy) for idle chit chat while working.

Great post! Need more like it.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I do agree that customer service in northern china is much better than south china. I also agree that as far as friendlyness, china has better customer service than america. I just think the logic for somethings is far off base compaired to what I am used to. I guess my thing is more about the logic than customer service.

Perhaps a better title to my thread would have been "Where's the logic"

I agree. Somewhere in the picture there is logic, it's just the logic doesn't make much sense from a Western perspective. In the minds of the dry cleaner and hotel, it makes perfect sense that you pay for a service rendered, even though the service didn't meet reasonable expectation. I've witnessed several exchanges between Chinese people regarding pricing, fairness, and so on. From things as simple as buying fruit on the street, clothing, electronics, whatever.

Usually, if you accept the first price, first offer, and fail to put your foot down over something unfair, you're considered a sucker. Most of us lao wai, fall in that category. One thing, is it's a good idea to speak up and let them know you're unhappy.

If you think the haggling over prices makes you look like a sucker here, I suggest you never go to any South American country -- with the notable exception of Chile -- for more than 25 minutes. They make the Chinese look like total amateurs.

I agree that service aboard short-haul flights on Chinese airlines is much better than on US airlines. Even their frequent flyer programs are far, far superior to US carriers.

I do not agree, however, that customer service in the US is not as good as in China. As a whole, customer service in the US is much better -- as a whole. In China service is pretty good in upper middle class and better establishments in large cities. In your average stores and restaurants it's hit and miss. And in smaller cities it can still be really terrible. Back home it's usually good, but then if you get off the beaten path and end up at a KFC in the "hood" ... well, just hope you're wearing one of the better-made bullet proof vests.

I never really thought of service being better in the north vs. southern China. I have found people as friendly and service as good in both areas. I think the difference is that in the north people just have much more time to talkk to you because of their less stressing lifestyle and their inherent interest in all things foreign. In the south people are used to expats plus they really are pushed to work hard and have no time (or energy) for idle chit chat while working.

I would have to agree with you about the difference in south and north china. My wife, who is from the south, says that customer experience is better in the south than in the north for us because (as you said) they are more used to expats and provide a more western style customer service. That being said we always get more information, help, and suggestions on places of interest, things to do, deals, etc. here in the north than in the south. As she says, it requires much hard work in the south just to make a living and pay for the housing.

I do agree that customer service in northern china is much better than south china. I also agree that as far as friendlyness, china has better customer service than america. I just think the logic for somethings is far off base compaired to what I am used to. I guess my thing is more about the logic than customer service.

I agree. Somewhere in the picture there is logic, it's just the logic doesn't make much sense from a Western perspective. In the minds of the dry cleaner and hotel, it makes perfect sense that you pay for a service rendered, even though the service didn't meet reasonable expectation. I've witnessed several exchanges between Chinese people regarding pricing, fairness, and so on. From things as simple as buying fruit on the street, clothing, electronics, whatever.

Usually, if you accept the first price, first offer, and fail to put your foot down over something unfair, you're considered a sucker. Most of us lao wai, fall in that category. One thing, is it's a good idea to speak up and let them know you're unhappy.

I would have to agree with you about the difference in south and north china. My wife, who is from the south, says that customer experience is better in the south than in the north for us because (as you said) they are more used to expats and provide a more western style customer service. That being said we always get more information, help, and suggestions on places of interest, things to do, deals, etc. here in the north than in the south. As she says, it requires much hard work in the south just to make a living and pay for the housing.

Living in Guangzhou for so long, I've always had the impression that people in the south were friendlier -- always smiling. In Guanghzzhou is it extremely easy to make friends ... and quickly. People are more inclined to talk to you even though you are a complete stranger. The relationships that usually form, though, appear for the most part superficial.

My perception of the people I met from north China was that they were cold and distant. I seldom saw people smiling. Then I realized that once you actually spoke to someone and broke the ice, they are as warm and friendly as any you have ever met.

Then I moved to Beijing. People here seem cold and distant

Any of you old timers remember my adventures at the post office, trying to send a Christmas package that eventually went out "the regular way?" :lol:

Hilarious. By the way, did it ever get there?

Of course not....I ended up wiring money to a friend in the States who bought and mailed a Christmas present for me. The one that went out from China "the regular way" was never seen again, at least by me.

Living in Guangzhou for so long, I've always had the impression that people in the south were friendlier -- always smiling. In Guanghzzhou is it extremely easy to make friends ... and quickly. People are more inclined to talk to you even though you are a complete stranger. The relationships that usually form, though, appear for the most part superficial.

My perception of the people I met from north China was that they were cold and distant. I seldom saw people smiling. Then I realized that once you actually spoke to someone and broke the ice, they are as warm and friendly as any you have ever met.

I wonder if this surface level issue has anything to do with the historical south's geography of ports, trade, and immigration seeking attitudes.

Most of the first missionaries went to the north, I believe, to be near the capital... and while alot of trust was bestowed on them, and they were brought into the courts, that was really under Manchu rule at the time... and then a major bridge got burned down cutting of all foreigners...

I've talked to a number of northern ladies and it seems pragmatism can be strong.... particularly in relationships

Guest ShaQuaNew

Any of you old timers remember my adventures at the post office, trying to send a Christmas package that eventually went out "the regular way?" :D

Hilarious. By the way, did it ever get there?

Of course not....I ended up wiring money to a friend in the States who bought and mailed a Christmas present for me. The one that went out from China "the regular way" was never seen again, at least by me.

It's very expensive to mail something from China that gets to the US quickly; by quickly I'm speaking of about five days. My wife and I sent some clothing and other things to my daughter in the US for her birthday. The box was about 12-inches x 14-inches x 12-inches, and not too heavy; a few pounds. To mail express through the China post, it probably cost around 50-60 dollars USD. The package arrived safely in the US after about five days. So far, we've had good luck with mailing things. Nothing lost, but it takes a long time. Another box I mailed my daughter with normal postage, took about 5-6 weeks to arrive.

Guest Tony n Terrific

Don't forget the Straw Market in Nassau, Bahamas. You gotta negotiate there also.

Edited by Tony n Terrific (see edit history)

The shirts would not have shrunk at all if they used real "dry cleaning," which does not use water, but they must have washed them with water and soap and then used a regular dryer which made them shrink. Surely they must have real dry cleaning in China actually available to some degree. That hotel needs to lose a couple of stars of their so called 5 stars. You should write to the rating agency.

Any of you old timers remember my adventures at the post office, trying to send a Christmas package that eventually went out "the regular way?" :blink:

I don't remember that story, but cannot think about you without remembering about goose trying to make you his lunch. :alldone:

this is an interesting discussion. it seems like southerners (and people used to the south) find the service better in the south, and northerners like the service in the north. i like the north.

but beyond "service," there is also the general issue of courtesy. my personal opinion is that people in south china are much less courteous than northerners. in the short time my wife and i were in guangzhou, i experienced a cab driver calling african people "black monsters", a man on the street remarked about the size of my (and other white males') genitalia, the shouting of two people from guangdong kept an entire train-car awake half the night, and my wife's backside became the prime attraction for any men we encountered on the street or subway.

i took a breath of fresh air when i got back to "my china" in nanyang and beijing.

this is an interesting discussion. it seems like southerners (and people used to the south) find the service better in the south, and northerners like the service in the north. i like the north.

but beyond "service," there is also the general issue of courtesy. my personal opinion is that people in south china are much less courteous than northerners. in the short time my wife and i were in guangzhou, i experienced a cab driver calling african people "black monsters", a man on the street remarked about the size of my (and other white males') genitalia, the shouting of two people from guangdong kept an entire train-car awake half the night, and my wife's backside became the prime attraction for any men we encountered on the street or subway.

I would say I like the south better than the north. I like them both, but my point is that there are some general differences.

Unfortunately even cab drivers in Beijing are rather intolerant of black people. There have been many times I have heard them make racist comments. It may seem more pervasive in the south because cab drivers in the south are generally more vocal and like to engage their customers in idle conversation.

Funny, but the only time in over a dozen years that anybody made a comment about genitalia to me was in Beijing. An unusually talkative cabbie suggested I would do better with a Chinese wife than an American one (I will not get into the sorid details). When I feigned ignorance, he was explicitly graphic.

My first couple of years ago I thought people speaking Cantonese were loud and abusive. Many, many times I would think people were fighting or arguing, but in the end they were just having a normal, friendly conversation about an exciting topic. That's just the nature of their language.

I would say I like the south better than the north. I like them both, but my point is that there are some general differences.

Unfortunately even cab drivers in Beijing are rather intolerant of black people. There have been many times I have heard them make racist comments. It may seem more pervasive in the south because cab drivers in the south are generally more vocal and like to engage their customers in idle conversation.

Funny, but the only time in over a dozen years that anybody made a comment about genitalia to me was in Beijing. An unusually talkative cabbie suggested I would do better with a Chinese wife than an American one (I will not get into the sorid details). When I feigned ignorance, he was explicitly graphic.

My first couple of years ago I thought people speaking Cantonese were loud and abusive. Many, many times I would think people were fighting or arguing, but in the end they were just having a normal, friendly conversation about an exciting topic. That's just the nature of their language.

yeah, i would have thought the comment about my genitalia was funny if the man hadn't made it to my wife (!) assuming I wouldn't understand. he was quite a jerk. my wife and i were taken way aback by the whole experience....

i agree about cantonese -- it sounds abrasive to me, perhaps because there are so many tones (8? 9?). just another reason i was so happy to be back up north with the regular old users of putonghua

yeah, i would have thought the comment about my genitalia was funny if the man hadn't made it to my wife (!) assuming I wouldn't understand. he was quite a jerk. my wife and i were taken way aback by the whole experience....

i agree about cantonese -- it sounds abrasive to me, perhaps because there are so many tones (8? 9?). just another reason i was so happy to be back up north with the regular old users of putonghua

To your wife??? :P Some cabbies are just off the farm and really have no concept of social skills.

Actually, I prefer Cantonese to Mandarin. They have a lot of really cute, graphic descriptions for a lot of concepts. If you want to say that someone is a pervert, you call them "salty & wet" and one of the worst insults imaginable is "lay down in the street." For me, it really is funny.