Chinese Satellite TV

Guest ShaQuaNew

Are there any other Satellite options in China? Is there anyway you can tap into like Dishnetwork or Directv?

There are only two options:

1. Illegal Sat TV; or

2. Sat TV provided by an authorized government controlled company.

Choosing #1 will not ordinarily get a subscriber arrested and / or deported. You would, though, be subject to losing whatever you paid for the service as well as periodic confiscation of any Sat TV dish on the exterior portion of your premises.

Every once in a while building complex management offices will get orders from the Public Security Bureau and warn tenants of impending dish raids. Most people ignore the notices and then after a few weeks you see window washer type scaffolding appear and go up and down sides of the building plucking all visible dishes.

People crazy enough to complain when their dish is snatched are the ones generally fined for having an illegal dish.

Option #2 in virtually every case provides far inferior and more restrictive services (i.e. channel selection) than option #1.

Are there any other Satellite options in China? Is there anyway you can tap into like Dishnetwork or Directv?

Dish network satellites range from 67.5 degrees, to 130 degrees. North America only.

Satellites are geo-synchronous, meaning they are 22,000 miles up, and stay where they are above the equator, so you never have to re-aim your satellite dish.

CNN, HBO, and anyone else who broadcasts in Asia (or their distributors) have satellites in that part of the world.

Guest ShaQuaNew

Dish network satellites range from 67.5 degrees, to 130 degrees. North America only.

Satellites are geo-synchronous, meaning they are 22,000 miles up, and stay where they are above the equator, so you never have to re-aim your satellite dish.

CNN, HBO, and anyone else who broadcasts in Asia (or their distributors) have satellites in that part of the world.

It appears that Dream Satellite is the most predominate company used in China when it comes to foreigners. We now have our signal restored, and I also learned a lesson, Chinese style, from my wife about trusting her and others. Small business thrives in China, and the satellite market is a part of it. When the technician came over the other night, I put my wife in an awkward position of having to translate, while I asked questions, like:

"If I were to call the Dream company in the Philippines, would they be able to corroborate our smart card number and business?"

"I've heard that there are many pirates for Dream in China, are you one of them?"

...and a few more choice direct questions...

I did let him know, that whatever his answers were, I just wanted him to be honest, and not cheat us.

Of course, not such a good idea to do that sort of thing in China. In this case, he's just a nice guy, trying to make some money on the side. Turns out, he is legit, at least so far as providing us a registered connection with Dream.

As for my wife, she says: "Don't do that to people in China. It's not right."

:threeques:

1. Illegal Sat TV; or

Choosing #1 will not ordinarily get a subscriber arrested and / or deported. You would, though, be subject to losing whatever you paid for the service as well as periodic confiscation of any Sat TV dish on the exterior portion of your premises.

Every once in a while building complex management offices will get orders from the Public Security Bureau and warn tenants of impending dish raids. Most people ignore the notices and then after a few weeks you see window washer type scaffolding appear and go up and down sides of the building plucking all visible dishes.

People crazy enough to complain when their dish is snatched are the ones generally fined for having an illegal dish.

Option #2 in virtually every case provides far inferior and more restrictive services (i.e. channel selection) than option #1.

This IS the Freedom Of The Press thread, isn't it? :( :P

1. Illegal Sat TV; or

This IS the Freedom Of The Press thread, isn't it? :P :P

:(

1. Illegal Sat TV; or

This IS the Freedom Of The Press thread, isn't it?

This pretty much sums up a lot.

Edited by Dennis143 (see edit history)

It appears that Dream Satellite is the most predominate company used in China when it comes to foreigners. We now have our signal restored, and I also learned a lesson, Chinese style, from my wife about trusting her and others. Small business thrives in China, and the satellite market is a part of it. When the technician came over the other night, I put my wife in an awkward position of having to translate, while I asked questions, like:

"If I were to call the Dream company in the Philippines, would they be able to corroborate our smart card number and business?"

"I've heard that there are many pirates for Dream in China, are you one of them?"

...and a few more choice direct questions...

I did let him know, that whatever his answers were, I just wanted him to be honest, and not cheat us.

Of course, not such a good idea to do that sort of thing in China. In this case, he's just a nice guy, trying to make some money on the side. Turns out, he is legit, at least so far as providing us a registered connection with Dream.

As for my wife, she says: "Don't do that to people in China. It's not right."

:D

Jessie I also learned not to ask too many questions using my wife as translator when there are issues ... it is far more likely to get your issue resolved (or the price cheaper) if the foreigner stays in the background, says nothing, and follows the wife lead (as in yes that price is way too much or the look of "come on .. you can fix this"). :D

I have only put her in a situation like this when our natural gas leak detector alarm went off and the gas company guy kept telling her there was no problem. It finally turned out that he did not measure a leak but that he thought the sensor was bad. He turned it off. We go a new one the next day.

As far as your sat. connection I still have to say GZ bill is right. He is probably a nice guy trying to make some extra money on the side but there I do not think the service is legal. It may be a legit/registered signal but that is different from the service you have being legal. Again I am not being the moral police (if I had to do it again I would have gone this route because as GZBill said the legal sa. TV has limited selection) just telling you from my experience and others.