Chinese Drywall Problems

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/AP-IMPACT-Ch...f-14904693.html

PARKLAND, Fla. ¨C At the height of the U.S. housing boom, when building materials were in short supply, American construction companies used millions of pounds of Chinese-made drywall because it was abundant and cheap.

Now that decision is haunting hundreds of homeowners and apartment dwellers who are concerned that the wallboard gives off fumes that can corrode copper pipes, blacken jewelry and silverware, and possibly sicken people.

<deleted the rest of the story and posted the link for anyone interested>

Edited by donahso (see edit history)

So NOW I understand why Chinese houses do not have drywall. :blink:

Actually, they do. I've been kibitzing the local "decorators" as they work, trying to pick up some ideas for when I finish our own condo, and they use drywall and wood strips to construct simple to elaborate ceiling treatments, with multiple layers and recesses. Drywall is also available at stores such as China Home and B&Q, for the DIY folks.

Interesting link

It talks about how the crisis is playing out in the US on Chinese media.

It says the US is the only country to complain about the drywall.

CHINESE DRYWALL BLOG

Bad lots of an otherwise suitable product are nothing new in industry.

Especially not in China, where many companies do not exercise the same rigor as their U.S. counterparts, when it comes to quality control. Of course, with a lack of quality systems also often comes a lack of traceability, which makes actually pinpointing the source of the problem that much more difficult.

Edited by jsa23 (see edit history)

I watched the videos, and read the blog, but I am still not sure what the complaint is.

Is it just an odor that the people don't like, or is there something poisonous in the air?

If it is just the odor, I have an easy explanation .. open the window.

If you think about it, our Chinese wives (most I believe) will not leave all the windows closed no matter HOW hot or cold it is outside. This idea of needing fresh air is not in the american psyche, and may account for why americans are complaining, and others are not.

A Florida Department of Health analysis found the Chinese drywall emits "volatile sulfur compounds," and contains traces of strontium sulfide, which can produce the rotten-egg odor and reacts with air to corrode metals and wires.

Pipes and other metals in the homes are corroding. This could lead to premature plumbing failures and other problems....plus the house smells like rotten eggs

A Florida Department of Health analysis found the Chinese drywall emits "volatile sulfur compounds," and contains traces of strontium sulfide, which can produce the rotten-egg odor and reacts with air to corrode metals and wires.

Pipes and other metals in the homes are corroding. This could lead to premature plumbing failures and other problems....plus the house smells like rotten eggs

It can also play havoc with electronic devices. When the industry was forced to reduce or eliminate lead in integrated circuits, the result was greater risk in the growth of tin whiskers that short out the integrated circuits. Lead was a great inhibitor. The sulfur gases exacerbate the problem. I would hazard to guess that devices such as computers and iPods and TV's would fail at a higher than normal rate.