China's birth limits create dangerous gender gap

you know this very privince biased ?

in yunnan there is no restriction (imposed) on villages or a preference for gender on children.

Also most dont care in cities (yunnan) if children are girls or boys, I realise this is different in the north and east in some cities and villages, but it is changing.

Not so. It is not based on province.

What happens is that in some provinces there are certain ethnic groups and any ethnic group that is not Han is legally allowed to reproduce like rabbits. Han Chinese in Yunnan are under the population planning rules.

true and not true, china is not as rigid as usa govt control

Not a very lucid statement that anybody who has been in China for more than 4 days would find true.

When the Chinese government wants to exercise control, they can do it very rigidly and in the most brutal ways imaginable.

oh Bill :(

you need to travel more

That or start my drinking as early in the morning as you. ;)

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not a very lucid statement that anybody who has been in China for more than 4 days would find true.

When the Chinese government wants to exercise control, they can do it very rigidly and in the most brutal ways imaginable.

I believe Jin is Chinese!!!

So i'm sure she has been in China more than 4 days? ;)

Sad that it is often the case that some people are totally ignorant of their own country. Sad indeed.

I think the next step, is this thread will most likely be shutdown. ;)

Life is just a series of re-runs.

Edited by rogerinca (see edit history)
Guest ShaQuaNew

in yunnan there is no restriction (imposed) on villages or a preference for gender on children.

Also most dont care in cities (yunnan) if children are girls or boys, I realise this is different in the north and east in some cities and villages, but it is changing.

What happens is that in some provinces there are certain ethnic groups and any ethnic group that is not Han is legally allowed to reproduce like rabbits. Han Chinese in Yunnan are under the population planning rules.

I agree with Bill on this, though perhaps a little less strong that non-Han ethnicities being able to reproduce like rabbits. China's population controls are firmly in place. Seems that virtually everyone knows these rules.

oh Bill :lol:

you need to travel more

I have travelled all over China and from what I have seen (and from what my wife and chinese friends tell me) Bill is correct.

I love China and many things about it and hate to have go back to USa later this year but there are good/bad things about both countries. Have you found one thing yet that you like about USA?

I also read your statements/comments and wonder because they contradict with my wife and our friends ... how can your life in China be so different from the people i have encountered? I really am curious about this.

Guest jin979

Sad that it is often the case that some people are totally ignorant of their own country. Sad indeed.

I think the next step, is that that this thread will most likely be shutdown. :) :lol: :lol:

I agree with Bill on this, though perhaps a little less strong that non-Han ethnicities being able to reproduce like rabbits. China's population controls are firmly in place. Seems that virtually everyone knows these rules.

yes sad indead, that whenever i a chinese member posts on china, it is felt as as ignorant by first usa response, then asked to be closed by another and supported by yet another.

i really dont know, but as Han born and lived in difference provinces for 33 years with family from army generals to factory workers in many provices and myself a student of chinese history, maybe i just understand a little more of the complex china than some of you.

maybe you can learn from me on china and i am more than willing to learn usa life from you, but please dont tell me i dont know china unless you are willing to say you dont know usa either.

I think the next step, is that that this thread will most likely be shutdown. :) :lol: :lol:

yes sad indead, that whenever i a chinese member posts on china, it is felt as as ignorant by first usa response, then asked to be closed by another and supported by yet another.

i really dont know, but as Han born and lived in difference provinces for 33 years with family from army generals to factory workers in many provices and myself a student of chinese history, maybe i just understand a little more of the complex china than some of you.

maybe you can learn from me on china and i am more than willing to learn usa life from you, but please dont tell me i dont know china unless you are willing to say you dont know usa either.

Fact: there is a govt policy of 1 child

Fact: the enforcement is different depending on location or who the person is

Fact: the gender balance is not what would be normal without the policy in place

Concern/Topic: this will cause some problems in future (as discussed in Chinese and global media)

Debateable: usa gov't is more rigid than chinese gov't

What you said was fine and true but does not change the fact that the current policy has caused a gender imbalance. in some areas and for some people the policy is not an issue or enforced but overall it is. what was the point of your post .. that the issue does not exist?

And you did not need to include the last part... both gov't have policies and laws and both gov't allow exceptions based on who you are, connections, and money.

Guest jin979

Fact: there is a govt policy of 1 child

Fact: the enforcement is different depending on location or who the person is

Fact: the gender balance is not what would be normal without the policy in place

Concern/Topic: this will cause some problems in future (as discussed in Chinese and global media)

Debateable: usa gov't is more rigid than chinese gov't

What you said was fine and true but does not change the fact that the current policy has caused a gender imbalance. in some areas and for some people the policy is not an issue or enforced but overall it is. what was the point of your post .. that the issue does not exist?

And you did not need to include the last part... both gov't have policies and laws and both gov't allow exceptions based on who you are, connections, and money.

the point is over all it is not a whole china problem

if you really want to understand go past media and a few east china university posts, in most of china this is not a issue, any more than poligamy in usa.

Guest jin979

quote name='jin979' post='487569' date='Apr 14 2009, 07:56 PM']

the point is over all it is not a whole china problem

if you really want to understand go past media and a few east china university posts, in most of china this is not a issue, any more than poligamy in usa.

Ok ... maybe the govt officials are not as up to date on this issue

http://english.people.com.cn/90001/90782/6575673.html

not much different to usa #'s as you like junk science/statistics, looks like you breed more boys too, is this policy too ?

http://www.nationalatlas.gov/articles/people/a_gender.html

http://www1.china.org.cn/english/2001/Apr/12028.htm

http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0005083.html

first correct thing you have ever said on china

ignoring the link of course ;)

Edited by jin979 (see edit history)
Guest jin979

thats your normal response to anything i post, thanks for your insightful input Roger :ph34r:

thats your normal response to anything i post, thanks for your insightful input Roger :ph34r:

First, this is absolutely without foundation.

Next, you missed the point and the humor of the specific post.

:)