• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This has been known for a long time:

China's birth limits create dangerous gender gap

I see 5 possible outcomes, which are not mutually exclusive

(1) Many Chinese males will leave China to find wives in other countries

(2) Many unmarried women in other countries will go to China to find Chinese husbands

(3) The current reluctance for Chinese men to marry divorcees and widows will disappear. A new reluctance for Chinese women to marry divorced men and widowers will appear.

(4) Homosexuality will become more prominent and may even flourish in China

(5) Women will marry at a younger age and will marry more often as they will be in demand and have no need to put up with a less desirable husband. Men will marry at a later age (since older more financially able suitors will vie for the hands of young brides) and will spend more time unmarried between marriages.

(2) Many unmarried women in other countries will go to China to find Chinese husbands

(3) The current reluctance for Chinese men to marry divorcees and widows will disappear. A new reluctance for Chinese women to marry divorced men and widowers will appear.

(5) Women will marry at a younger age and will marry more often as they will be in demand and have no need to put up with a less desirable husband. Men will marry at a later age (since older more financially able suitors will vie for the hands of young brides) and will spend more time unmarried between marriages.

According to my sources, the real shortage in women is in the rural areas, since they need a man to run the farm, and a lot of the girls leave the farm to work in the factories.

The classic consequence of having a shortage of females is increased violence, this is the usual outcome in polygamous societies, such as the Middle East, the Zulus and the Yanomamo Indians of the Amazon. I see no reason why it won't play out the same way in China.

I can think of 2 other possibilities: conquest of southeast Asian countries to provide wives for unmarried Chinese men and the use of prostitutes.

Increase in homosexuality is a pretty unlikely outcome. In Mediterranean and prison cultures, homosexuality by otherwise heterosexual men has more to do with establishing dominance than actually getting off.

In the meantime, I guarantee that the Chinese government thinks the shortage of females is just fine and dandy, since that guarantees the next cohort will be even smaller, reducing their population even more.

...or send them off to war.

Perhaps another consequence is that women gain more power and become more dominate. Women dominate in Shanghai, although there is no shortage of available women there. The men don't need to go to another country to find a bride; they just need to go to Shanghai (and perhaps accept being Number 2).

Guest jin979

you know this very privince biased ?

in yunnan there is no restriction (imposed) on villages or a preference for gender on children.

Also most dont care in cities (yunnan) if children are girls or boys, I realise this is different in the north and east in some cities and villages, but it is changing.

in yunnan there is no restriction (imposed) on villages or a preference for gender on children.

Also most dont care in cities (yunnan) if children are girls or boys, I realise this is different in the north and east in some cities and villages, but it is changing.

Not so. It is not based on province.

What happens is that in some provinces there are certain ethnic groups and any ethnic group that is not Han is legally allowed to reproduce like rabbits. Han Chinese in Yunnan are under the population planning rules.

Edited by GZBILL (see edit history)
Guest jin979

What happens is that in some provinces there are certain ethnic groups and any ethnic group that is not Han is legally allowed to reproduce like rabbits. Han Chinese in Yunnan are under the population planning rules.

true and not true, china is not as rigid as usa govt control

Not a very lucid statement that anybody who has been in China for more than 4 days would find true.

When the Chinese government wants to exercise control, they can do it very rigidly and in the most brutal ways imaginable.

Guest jin979

Not a very lucid statement that anybody who has been in China for more than 4 days would find true.

When the Chinese government wants to exercise control, they can do it very rigidly and in the most brutal ways imaginable.

oh Bill :rolleyes:

you need to travel more

I believe Jin is Chinese!!!

So i'm sure she has been in China more than 4 days? :(

Edited by NUWORLD (see edit history)