Any excuse is not a good excuse

Many years ago, my g/f was a management exec type at Delta. She told me way back then, that if I ever showed up late at the airport and missed my flight, to tell the ticket agent that I had a flat tire. She told me that under FAA rules, that whenever a passenger misses their flight that if it was due to a flat tire, the airline MUST put them on the next available flight without cost or delay to the passenger. She told me that they spend a great deal of time on this particular training subject because the fine for failure to comply is hefty. No other excuse is acceptable. None! Only a flat tire! This is still a current rule.

Just something to remember....

Some airlines will do whatever they can for you if you miss a flight, but they don't have to. It really is up to the ticket agent that you talk to, but once the "flat tire" rule is invoked, their discretion to help you or not goes right out the window...

Many years ago, my g/f was a management exec type at Delta. She told me way back then, that if I ever showed up late at the airport and missed my flight, to tell the ticket agent that I had a flat tire. She told me that under FAA rules, that whenever a passenger misses their flight that if it was due to a flat tire, the airline MUST put them on the next available flight without cost or delay to the passenger. She told me that they spend a great deal of time on this particular training subject because the fine for failure to comply is hefty. No other excuse is acceptable. None! Only a flat tire! This is still a current rule.

Some airlines will do whatever they can for you if you miss a flight, but they don't have to. It really is up to the ticket agent that you talk to, but once the "flat tire" rule is invoked, their discretion to help you or not goes right out the window...

Wow .. a useful piece of information. Here is some more information on this from a Google search:

http://www.aviation.com/business/081209-afwd-flat-tire.html

Wow .. a useful piece of information. Here is some more information on this from a Google search:

This person at AirFareWatchDog didn't do their homework. It is a rule, a very old rule, as in back in the 50s'. I saw the actual rule in hardcopy in FAA documentation back in the late 90's. As far as I know, the rule was never rescinded, but then, it may have. I doubt it would be a highly publicized event. But, as they did say, depending on the airline, the ticket agent may or may not have heard of it or may choose to help you or not, so getting huffy about it won't help you.

This person at AirFareWatchDog didn't do their homework. It is a rule, a very old rule, as in back in the 50s'. I saw the actual rule in hardcopy in FAA documentation back in the late 90's. As far as I know, the rule was never rescinded, but then, it may have. I doubt it would be a highly publicized event. But, as they did say, depending on the airline, the ticket agent may or may not have heard of it or may choose to help you or not, so getting huffy about it won't help you.

I was not being sarcastic. I meant it was a useful piece of information and I even found some information about it on the internet.

I remember one time I missed my flight from Chicago to Atlanta on Delta because I overslept at my Chicago airport. Delta just put me on the very next flight with no problem and I even told them I just overslept. Of course that was 20 years ago.

Some airlines will do whatever they can for you if you miss a flight,

but they don't have to. It really is up to the ticket agent that you talk to, but once the "flat tire" rule is invoked, their discretion to help you or not goes right out the window...

I was not being sarcastic. I meant it was a useful piece of information and I even found some information about it on the internet.

I remember one time I missed my flight from Chicago to Atlanta on Delta because I overslept at my Chicago airport. Delta just put me on the very next flight with no problem and I even told them I just overslept. Of course that was 20 years ago.

DELTA is very good at taking care of you I missed my flight because customs in jfk made me miss my next flight Dalta put me on the next flight.

but is the flat tire excuse ok if you got there in a 747

Edited by okie2 (see edit history)

I brought my mother to the airport a couple months ago we got to the ticket machine but because I was like 44 minute to flight the machine denied giving a boarding pass, however at the counter the woman gave my mother 2 boarding passes and said she could arrive with her luggage or 1.5 hours before. no problems other then the 10,000 key press it took to find all that out.