Tomb Sweeping Day

Guest ShaQuaNew

[quote name='ShaQuaNew' post='482867' date='Mar 18 2009, 11:42 AM']
[quote name='Randy W' post='482861' date='Mar 18 2009, 11:33 AM']
[quote name='ShaQuaNew' post='482857' date='Mar 17 2009, 10:27 PM']
Just received this notice about a new Chinese holiday:

[quote]We are going to have 3 consecutive days public holiday from April 4 to April 6, 2009 for Tomb Sweeping Day. The 4th April will be a public holiday; the 5th April is a normal weekend. Apr. 6th as a working day will be changed with April 4th.[/quote]

I understand that it's a public holiday for families to take care and visit their loved ones that have passed.
[/quote]

Just checked my calendar - it's there for the 5th. ChingMing - does it have something to do with the Ming tombs, if I remember right?

Goes back to 206 BC - not exactly new
[/quote]

My co-workers don't seem to be familiar with the history for this holiday. While it may have been on the calendar I hear, it's new that many businesses are making it a paid holiday.
[/quote]

Your co-workers must have missed it last year then. This was one of the days added to offical china holidays (along with dragon boat festival in June) when they made the May holiday 1 day instead of 3 days. As ffar as the holiday it has been celebrated for years ... just not as an offical holiday with time off.
Guest ShaQuaNew

Your co-workers must have missed it last year then. This was one of the days added to offical china holidays (along with dragon boat festival in June) when they made the May holiday 1 day instead of 3 days. As ffar as the holiday it has been celebrated for years ... just not as an offical holiday with time off.

It's actually just me that missed the history of the holiday. When HR sent out the memo about the long holiday weekend, it was written in Chinese and also English. The English however was not the best translation, as it stated it was a "new holiday." I later learned that the new holiday part was that it was a new long holiday weekend for the company as they had not provided employees with a long paid weekend previously. It's now clear that the holiday is not new, just my understanding of it....

:angry:

Just received this notice about a new Chinese holiday:

We are going to have 3 consecutive days public holiday from April 4 to April 6, 2009 for Tomb Sweeping Day. The 4th April will be a public holiday; the 5th April is a normal weekend. Apr. 6th as a working day will be changed with April 4th.

I understand that it's a public holiday for families to take care and visit their loved ones that have passed.

Just checked my calendar - it's there for the 5th. ChingMing - does it have something to do with the Ming tombs, if I remember right?

Goes back to 206 BC - not exactly new

Yep, I remember the first one, but not clearly as I've slept since then.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest ShaQuaNew

It's Saturday afternoon, and though a bit rainy today in Nanjing, you will see people everywhere burning paper money, and other things for their lost loved ones. My wife says she will be going out later today to burn money also.

It's Saturday afternoon, and though a bit rainy today in Nanjing, you will see people everywhere burning paper money, and other things for their lost loved ones. My wife says she will be going out later today to burn money also.

We just got back from TaiShan mountain in Shandong. Walked all nite with thousands of people to see the sunrise and then spent the day on the mountain. Did not see anyone buring money but say lots of incense burning and money burning through people's hands on food, drinks, gifts, etc.

Guest ShaQuaNew

We just got back from TaiShan mountain in Shandong. Walked all nite with thousands of people to see the sunrise and then spent the day on the mountain. Did not see anyone buring money but say lots of incense burning and money burning through people's hands on food, drinks, gifts, etc.

My and her family went to Tianlin this weekend to pay homage and respect to their lost loved ones.

My wife did go out last night to pay respect to her lost husband. She also took a bottle of white wine. She insisted on going alone; then, quietly left and returned about an hour later. It's such a sensitive area that I know very little about. I also have discovered, as you would expect, that it's a topic you must approach very carefully.