I plan to adopt my 9 year old step-son who is living here in California with his mother and I.
I have all the required adoption forms for California.
I need to create a consent statement and have my wife's ex-husband sign/notarize it (in China).
He stated that he had no issue in signing this statement if it was mailed back to him.
Does anyone have a sample consent statement?
Thank you,
-Squonk

I plan to adopt my 9 year old step-son who is living here in California with his mother and I.

I have all the required adoption forms for California.

I need to create a consent statement and have my wife's ex-husband sign/notarize it (in China).

He stated that he had no issue in signing this statement if it was mailed back to him.

Does anyone have a sample consent statement?

Thank you,

-Squonk

It would be best if you had an attorney help you with this consent form, a Chinese attorney would be even better as it could be created in both English and Chinese to send to him.

The statement will more than likely require notarization in China for it to be considered valid in a US court, so take this into account so you don't have a surprise.

• 4 weeks later...

Lee:

I contacted a Chinese attorney.

She told me that the letter of consent would have to be signed and notarized at the nearest US Consulate.

This is a non-starter.

The father is not going to take extrodinary measures, like travelling a significant distance to the US Consulate, to sign his son away.

I heard that all one needs is for the letter of consent to be officially notarized, similiar to the letter she showed the GUZ that her ex-husband gave permission for his son to immigrate to the USA.

If I can find a sample letter, I have Chinese friends who can translate it for me using MS Word.

Any thoughts?

Thank you,

-Squonk

I wonder if a notarial translation like we do for police reports, birth certificates etc would suffice? He could do this in his home town. Of course it would be the right thing to do to compensate him for his troubles.

Lee:

I contacted a Chinese attorney.

She told me that the letter of consent would have to be signed and notarized at the nearest US Consulate.

This is a non-starter.

The father is not going to take extrodinary measures, like travelling a significant distance to the US Consulate, to sign his son away.

I heard that all one needs is for the letter of consent to be officially notarized, similiar to the letter she showed the GUZ that her ex-husband gave permission for his son to immigrate to the USA.

If I can find a sample letter, I have Chinese friends who can translate it for me using MS Word.

Any thoughts?

Thank you,

-Squonk

So much for a Chinese attorney, doesn't sound like they understand the Chinese legal system. You needed to get the text required by the state translated into Chinese, then have them go to the Notary office to sign it in and have the notary office translate it.

It might be as simple as having him go to the notary office and explain the permission he is wanting to grant to you and have them put together a simple statement and translate it. He will need your name, address and such. You would want 2 copies of this as one would become part of the court records in CA.