AOS Filing - My Table of Contents

So many others helped me in the past, so I thought I'd share my table of contents that I used in filing the AOS package for my wife (K1) and son (K2). I attached a cover letter, and the table of contents was included at the end of the letter.

NOTE: The AOS package was sent out 2 weeks after the I-94 expired, but we were married within the 90 days, so DOS confirmed that that is what's important. AOS was sent last week, and USPS confirmed delivery 2 days later, but the checks have still not been cashed (been 4 working days since delivery).

TABLE OF CONTENTS

Red Bound Binder ¨C (Wife)

o Purple Tab

• Form
I-485

• Form
I-693
(Sealed Envelope)

• Check for $1010

• (2) Two passport style photos

I-797C
(
NOA2
)

• Certified Marriage Certificate

• Copy of
I-94
(front & back)

• Copy of Chinese Passport (biographics page and
K1
visa pages)

• Copy of Birth Certificate

o Green Tab

• Form
G-325A

o Pink Tab

• Form
I-864
¨C Affidavit of Support

• Copies of W2 and
IRS
transcripts for tax years 2005, 2006 & 2007

• Copies of a weekly paycheck stub, one from each month for the last 6 months

• Copy of my Performance Review for 2008

• Copies of bank statements

• Deed for house showing full reconveyance

o Orange Tab

• Form
I-131
¨C Application for Travel Document

K1
visa pages)

I-797C
(
NOA2
)

o Yellow Tab

• Form
I-765
¨C Application for Employment Authorization

K1
visa pages)

Blue Bound Binder ¨C (Son)

o Purple Tab

• Form
I-485

• Check for $680

I-797C
(
NOA2
)

• Copy of
I-94
(front & back)

K2
visa pages)

• Copy of Birth Certificate

o Green Tab

• Form
I-693
(Sealed Envelope)

o Pink Tab

• Form
I-131
¨C Application for Travel Document

K2
visa pages)

I-797C
(
NOA2
)

o Orange Tab

• Form
I-765
¨C Application for Employment Authorization

K2
visa pages)

Edited by Bill & Angel (see edit history)

Looks like a compleate package.

One Note: USCIS indicates not to use binders, a clip, or ACCO fastener two holes at the top of everything will do.

In preparing your packet, please take note of the following:
  • Do not use binders or folders that cannot be easily disassembled.

• Use ACCO fasteners to hold together thick or bulky applications or petitions. Two-hole punching the top of the material for easy placement in the file is appreciated.

• The use of tabs assist in locating items listed as attachments. The tabs should be placed on the bottom and not the side for ease in filing.

• Avoid using heavy-duty staples; instead use ACCO fasteners or heavy clips.

• Avoid submitting originals unless specifically required. Avoid submitting oversized documentation when possible.

http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis/men...00045f3d6a1RCRD

Ah poop... I wish I had seen that before I mailed. To my credit, I did not use the bindings to attach the applications. Instead, I had dividers that each had pockets, and the forms and documents are inserted into these pockets. Having not seen these instructions before, I of course did not two hole punch the tops of anything. Also, the dividers are tabbed on the side, not the bottom. They ever do an RFE just because they were annoyed with the binders? :o

Looks like a compleate package.

One Note: USCIS indicates not to use binders, a clip, or ACCO fastener two holes at the top of everything will do.

In preparing your packet, please take note of the following:
  • Do not use binders or folders that cannot be easily disassembled.

• Use ACCO fasteners to hold together thick or bulky applications or petitions. Two-hole punching the top of the material for easy placement in the file is appreciated.

• The use of tabs assist in locating items listed as attachments. The tabs should be placed on the bottom and not the side for ease in filing.

• Avoid using heavy-duty staples; instead use ACCO fasteners or heavy clips.

• Avoid submitting originals unless specifically required. Avoid submitting oversized documentation when possible.

http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis/men...00045f3d6a1RCRD

You might have missed this thread from a couple of weeks back.

I don't think it will ever get you an RFE, for bindings and tabs etc; however, I think it makes it easier for them to go through the file and they just like it better, when it is formatted in a way they are used to.

http://candleforlove.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=35550

Edited by rogerinca (see edit history)

Thanks Bill, ours looks pretty much the same, but it's nice to double check. Probably send out this week sometime. Just not sure what to put it all in.

How do people mail it out? Looks like you sent it out priority 3 Day from the PO? Tracking number , etc? Probably the best option for a PO Box. :o

Thanks Bill, ours looks pretty much the same, but it's nice to double check. Probably send out this week sometime. Just not sure what to put it all in.

How do people mail it out? Looks like you sent it out priority 3 Day from the PO? Tracking number , etc? Probably the best option for a PO Box. :o

I sent via Priority Mail with Return Receipt.

I sent via Priority Mail with Return Receipt.

Ditto that, we used one US agency (USPS) to transport the package to the other government agency (USCIS)
  • 2 weeks later...

Bill,

i see you wrote a check for $680 on the K-4. I dont see what age your step son is, but mine is 13.

AS the way I read the 485 instructions, it is $600 only for a child under 14 and submitted with a parent under a K-3.

I am sure you added the $80 for biometrics, but I see no where in the 485 instructions that a child under 14 will have to pay $80 also.

thanks,

LGR<

Bill,

i see you wrote a check for $680 on the K-4. I dont see what age your step son is, but mine is 13.

AS the way I read the 485 instructions, it is $600 only for a child under 14 and submitted with a parent under a K-3.

I am sure you added the $80 for biometrics, but I see no where in the 485 instructions that a child under 14 will have to pay $80 also.

thanks,

LGR<

It was unclear to me at first, but after reading posts here, I came to the conclusion that the biometrics was needed. This was confirmed when I called the USCIS to discuss this matter. The $680 is the correct sum. My son is 8 years old (and it's K2, which I guess is similar to K4).

Guest ShaQuaNew

Bill,

thanks,

LGR<

It was unclear to me at first, but after reading posts here, I came to the conclusion that the biometrics was needed. This was confirmed when I called the USCIS to discuss this matter. The $680 is the correct sum. My son is 8 years old (and it's K2, which I guess is similar to K4).

I see that you've indicated an "NOA Rejection for Son" in your timeline. May I ask what that's about?

Bill,

thanks,

LGR<

I see that you've indicated an "NOA Rejection for Son" in your timeline. May I ask what that's about?

It's addressed in another thread... basically, they made a mistake and didn't treat the application as accompanied with my wife's. Hopefully it will be resolved soon.

Edited by Bill & Angel (see edit history)
  • 2 weeks later...

Humm, I could have swore I read rogerinca wrote his check for $600 even too.. he has a k4 daughter. Guess i need to add an $80 check since I wrote the $600 already.

LGR<

FYI, I talked to USCIS today after getting the 2nd rejection notice for my stepson, and he said that a child under 14 does not need biometrics, so the fee is only $600.

Yes, I thought that was the reading I understood also.. $600.. I have read on here in the past that if you send TOO much money for an application, it will be rejected also. They cannot give change, and they do not want your extra money. The amount must be exact for the application filing.

Its been 8 days since I sent my package. So far no RFE's.

LGR<

Humm, I could have swore I read rogerinca wrote his check for $600 even too.. he has a k4 daughter. Guess i need to add an $80 check since I wrote the $600 already.

LGR<

Yes, that is true. And for others who may read this, following is from the USCIS webpage:

Filing Fee :

$930 plus a biometrics fee of $80; the fee total is $1,010. Exceptions listed below. There is no fee for applicants who are filing Form I-485 based on having been admitted to the United States as a refugee. Applicants 80 years of age or older are not charged a biometric fee; the fee total is $930. Applicants under 14 years of age: - Filing with the I-485 application of at least one parent have a fee total of $600 - Not filing with the I-485 application of at least one parent have a fee total of $930

I clearly marked the file folder that my daughter was age 12, at time of filing. I also placed this in all caps' on the table of contents and on the overall cover page for both files. Similarly, I put a sentence (in red) that we had been married for over two years, within the table of contents and on the transmittal cover sheet.

These folks are processing so many files each day, that it can be easy for the eye to overlook a factual element of a specific case.